PDA

View Full Version : Nilo Train/Activity Table size?

niccig
11-04-2005, 06:14 PM
I already posted about this, but we still can't agree.
We've decided to get the Nilo train/activity table, but DH and I can't agree on size. He thinks the medium (26x34x20) is big enough and if later DS wants to build bigger layouts of lego or trains, he can do it on the floor. I think the larger table may be better value, but it would be a squeeze in the family room. I want to use this table for other activities such as art and maybe for eating. If we need a 2nd table for these activites, then we need to get the medium table or everything won't fit.

Help!
Nicci

tarahsolazy
11-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Well, we split the difference, and ordered the handyman table. ie, just the legs and frame, in an odd size. DH will make the top himself. Its still in the box, though, so I don't know how big the one we got is.

If you or your DH is handy, check out the deal, the table is $50, DH thinks the top will cost $30.

Its on the Nilo website.

Momof3Labs
11-05-2005, 08:53 AM
How tall is the table? I ask because we have a different train table and IMO it is too low to try to eat or do art projects. In other words, can you fit a chair up to it for him? That may influence your decision.

tarahsolazy
11-05-2005, 11:39 AM
The Nilo tables are taller, Lori, I'm thinking 18 or 24 inches? They advertise that kids can sit at them, and they sell chairs. I took our table out of the box last night, and its taller than a typical train table, for sure. This has pluses and minuses, of course. Couldn't pass up the great deal, though.

LBW
11-05-2005, 01:17 PM
We have the large table and honestly, I wouldn't be happy with a smaller table. I think you'd be really limited in track set ups with a small table -- maybe only circles. I don't even know if a figure-eight type set up would work. However, we have two large dogs, and setting up track on the floor doesn't work for us. Since it sounds like using the floor would work for you, the smaller table might be fine.

I think the table is great for all kinds of play. We've used it for blocks, cars, trains, puzzles, and crafts. I'm not sure how it would work for eating. The lip is deep enough to make me think it would be tricky for a child to eat properly at the table. However, a child's seat does fit fine underneath the table.

niccig
11-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Tara, We have 2 dogs too and they live in the family room, so the floor may not work for us after all. Off to chat to DH and see what we can agree upon.

Tarah, I saw the handyman deal on the tables. DH gave an emphatic no. He doesn't mind assembling a table, but not having to complete it - even though I don't think it would be that difficult. Could you let us know how you go with it. We're in no hurry to make the purchase.

Nicci

Thanks everyone

Momof3Labs
11-06-2005, 06:23 PM
We have two dogs (and a cat) and no problem with setting up tracks on the floor. Depends on your dogs, really.

muskiesusan
11-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Our two large dogs are sleeping on our train layout right now. If the kids are playing with the trains, they tend to not to be a bother. When the dogs do mess up the track, well, it just extends the time spend playing as Nick has to reassemble!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

niccig
11-07-2005, 02:54 AM
I'm not sure how our dogs will be. Sometimes they are quiet and lazy, and at other times they tear around the house. DS is still a ways off from playing with trains, but DH and I wanted to start getting some of the bigger play items now to spread out the purchases.

Nicci

ellies mom
11-07-2005, 03:29 AM
Nilo also sells longer legs so that you can raise the height as the child grows. They are designed so that a child can sit at the table even at the shorter height. That is one of the reasons we like them.

niccig
11-07-2005, 01:22 PM
DH has reconsidered the size of the table because of the way our dogs behave. I think we'll have enough room as when DS is ready to use the table, we probably won't be using the pack n play to corral him.

I'm interested in the handyman deal at Nilo, but only if it isn't too much work as I'll probably end up doing it by myself. Tarah, does your DH know if a place like Home Depot/Lowes/Osh would cut the melamine to the exact specifications? I'm a little handy, but not power saw handy. If it's just putting the sides and legs together, measuring the top and then getting it cut to size, I might be able to pull it off.

Thanks,
Nicci

tarahsolazy
11-07-2005, 03:32 PM
All it is, for our table, anyway, is just what you said. He hasn't put the legs together yet, but that's all that will be required. The top does fit in a slot in the side rails, so it has to be a pretty tight fit to work. I suck at measuring, but if you don't, you shouldn't have any problems. I'm pretty sure Home Depot, etc will cut the top to exactly your specifications. DH said that's what he plans to do, as he doesn't have a table saw, making it hard to do by hand. I think we are going to do plywood for the top, furniture grade, and DH mentioned painting something onto it.

niccig
11-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks Tarah. Painting something on the plywood is a great idea. I'm always after a bargain, but I am a little concerned about the measuring - just a little off and it won't fit. I'll have to think about it.

Oh, did you get the lego mat and the graphic mat with your table, or do you have to buy those separately?

Thanks,
Nicci