PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle Help

Raidra
11-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Colwyn has been able to do the simple peg puzzles for ages. He has this one now which he can do well, too: http://creativebrainsonline.com/medofitrpegp.html

It has the exact same picture underneath like the simple peg puzzles do, which makes it easier for him to match up the pieces. I'm trying to find more inlaid puzzles like this (where one picture is cut up into several pieces), but I can't find any that have the same picture underneath. I bought several from Lakeshore Learning, but the puzzles are blank underneath and say they're for preschoolers up, so I'm not sure if he'll be able to do them (they haven't arrived yet). Anyways, any suggestions?

Also, what's the appropriate age for a lockbox? When did your kids get good at unlatching and latching them? I was specifically looking at the M&D lockbox.

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
11-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Give the other inlaid puzzles a shot - he won't learn to do them if you don't introduce them. DS moved fairly quickly from the picture-under-the-pieces puzzles to the more advanced ones, and then quite quickly to floor puzzles. That was all probably 9-11 months ago. You might be surprised!

brittone2
11-04-2005, 10:48 PM
DS has a train puzzle like that, but it also has small pegs. I think my parents got it maybe at Target for him last year? It is one picture and all of the pieces touch. I guess that makes it inlaid? He isn't quite there yet unless I do some of it and he can put in a piece here or there. He's mostly still into regular peg puzzles (he's 20 months).

No advice on the lock box but my DS loves keys, uses them in our fireproof safe with just a little help, and can do all sorts of latches like those on daddy's toolbox, etc. so I'll bet Colwyn would be able to do that now or in the near future.

lpl47
11-05-2005, 05:01 PM
My son is only a few weeks older than yours and recently got this puzzle as a gift:
http://www.playandlearntoys.com/3dsescpu.html

It's only 9 pieces and because it's 3-D I think it makes it a little easier than a regular puzzle. There are no pictures underneath the pieces, so it is challenging - but after the first few days of working on it with me, he can now do it himself.

August Mom
11-06-2005, 03:09 PM
I am a big fan of the Lauri crepe rubber puzzles. They are mostly inlaid (although there are a few single shapes in the same shaped spot). There is a cardboard that goes underneath the frame that shows which shape should go there. There are lots of designs.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product/237684050?item_no=7282017&event=51500TYSBF|519834|66013 (I have never ordered from here, but it was the first site that popped up in my search).

Also, Schylling has inlaid wooden puzzles but they do not have the design underneath.

amp
11-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm glad to hear you like these, as we bought 3 for DS but haven't given them to him yet, so they are still in the wrapper. i have another set of foam puzzles that are complete junk, so I was hoping these were nicer and would "hold together" when yo moved them around.