PDA

View Full Version : Do we need this now - a Playard?

mamalia
11-06-2005, 10:48 PM
I'd like to take DD into our backyard during the day so I can do a little gardening, maybe thirty minutes or so outdoors. DH recently bought a Jeep playard that has a full canopy for this purpose, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost at this point and am thinking of returning it. DD is 8.5mo, crawling, and starting to creep (I think that's the term). I know she's not ready to be outdoors with minimal supervision yet, but will we get enough use out of the playard?

Any other suggestions for how you went outdoors with a young one until they could play on their own?

And when exactly is it that they play on their own outside?

amp
11-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Well, we never used one and never missed it, but it is hard to get much done outside, as kids need supervision constantly. We've been taking DS outside for gardening, playing, grilling, etc since he was born, so the following year he was crawling and then walking, and this year he's a very fast toddler! We do not have a fence. When he was crawling, creeping, I could just keep him near me w/ some toys on a blanket. He'd crawl off it, but not fast or anything. Once he started toddling, I just kept him in my line of site, or both us parents went out. We could get a little done out there, but not nearly as fast as w/o a toddler! Now, he'll play near us and we know when he leaves, so it's easier, but he's also faster, so you have to be ready to catch him if necessary! I still would not let him play outside without me since our yard is not fenced. I don't suspect I will be doing that for awhile.

mamalia
11-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Thank you for sharing your experiences, as a first time mommy this really helps!

Malia