PDA

View Full Version : Play Shopping Carts

Jada2929
11-27-2005, 03:16 PM
I'd appreciate any feedback you can give on play shopping carts. I really love the Pottery Barn one because of it's more realistic looks (and not platic) but there is no way I can spend 50 plus bucks for it.

I have seen the Super Shopper one, it's metal but painted primary colors. Does anyone have it? Like? Dislike?

lilycat88
11-27-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm looking forward to any feedback on this as well. We're planning, I think, on getting this one from Sensational Beginnings.

http://www.sensationalbeginnings.com/itemdy00.asp?CATEGORY=&ITN=G+2+9344&T1=G+2+9344&QTY=1&PageNo=1&GEN1=&SKW=shopping+cart&product.x=62&product.y=52

It comes with some play food items.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

Momof3Labs
11-27-2005, 03:36 PM
My experience is that the shopping cart often runs into furniture or the walls (especially if used by a newer walker). So I personally wouldn't get a wooden or metal one, since those would cause more damage to our painted walls and wood furniture. The Little Tykes one never marred our walls or furniture, but does have the disadvantage of being bright plastic!

muskiesusan
11-27-2005, 03:53 PM
ITA with Lori about the furniture and walls. We have the LT one and 3 years later, not only does it look brand new, but it also is still a favorite.

I usually prefer wood toys for large items like this as well, but I really do love this shopping cart. Plus, in today's world, I think a plastic version is more realistic looking than the metal ones as I can't remember the last time I had a non-plastic shopping cart at the store!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

new_mommy25
11-27-2005, 03:58 PM
They have that exact cart at KB for 9.99. They also have it at Ross a lot.

Jen841
11-28-2005, 08:29 AM
My SIL has bought/received MANY carts for her 5 kids and they all fall apart other than the Little Tykes one. Even though it is plastic, I would start here for durabily.

carolines mommy
12-06-2005, 04:59 PM
We have the Little Tikes plastic cart and I wouldn't have done it any other way. DD1 loves to ram it into our stainless steel appliances!

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

Toba
12-06-2005, 05:53 PM
We have the PBK one and it doesn't seem to do too much damage, but he's only played with it for two hours. We then hid it as it's *supposed* to be a Christmas present. I only took it out as I was concerned about the wheels, but they're fine as well. I *really* like the looks of it and it's got a little chalkboard on the front it too.

PS: I only paid $30-something (maybe $39) at the store.

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

Toba
12-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I just clicked on your link to Sensational Beginnings and I LOVE this one. It's even a little more realistic than our PBK one, as it's got the fold down seat and the under shelf (where we put dog food!). Too cute!

~Kimberly Anne~
*the light of my life*

JacksMommy
12-06-2005, 06:35 PM
We had it. It lasted about six months at our place. DS loved it, especially running with it from one end of the house to another and smashing it into things. Not a lot of carts would stand up to that, but needless to say we won't be getting another. It's cute but a little flimsy and the "seat" kept coming off (not that DS cared).

Just my two cents.

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

Toba
12-06-2005, 09:15 PM
You're talking about the one from Sensational Beginnings, right Laurel? That's a shame that the seat kept coming off ... that's the cutest part of the cart! :(

~Kimberly Anne~
*the light of my life*

lisams
12-07-2005, 12:24 AM
We have that one and DD loves it!! We haven't had any problems with it falling apart, but she's pretty gentle with her toys. She LOVES putting her baby dolls in the little seat, and always goes around the house cramming the cart with anything she can find. One nice thing that I like is that the front two wheels swivel, so she doesn't have to scoot it to get it to turn. I also like that it isn't super big. We got it pretty cheap at Ross about a year ago, and I've seen them at similar stores too (TJMaxx, etc.) The plastic is thinner/flexible, but it's overall been a favorite toy!!

JacksMommy
12-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Yep, we had the cart from Sensational Beginnings. It defitely was a hit, just not the most durable thing ever. I'd think it would be fine for a child who's going to use it as it was intended. :)

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

quinnsmom
12-07-2005, 03:04 PM
>My experience is that the shopping cart often runs into
>furniture or the walls (especially if used by a newer walker).
> So I personally wouldn't get a wooden or metal one, since
>those would cause more damage to our painted walls and wood
>furniture. The Little Tykes one never marred our walls or
>furniture, but does have the disadvantage of being bright
>plastic!

I agree with this wholeheartedly! DS has taken to ramming his cart (Little Tikes) into the walls, furniture, dogs (poor doggies!)- anything in the house - he thinks it's hysterical and will run through the house laughing and looking for something to run in to. We have hard wood floors - so goes really fast with the cart!

A few times he has fallen - sometimes the wheels don't turn while he is pushing it (because I put it together - should have let DH do it - and I tightened the wheels too much - so they don't turn when DS is on an uneven part of the floor) and DS is going so fast - the cart kind of tips and DS falls. He doesn't get hurt - just a little rattled. But that sensational Beginnings cart carts seem to have a larger opening under the handle/cart - I can see DS's noggin fitting nicely in the empty space if he were to run/fall using that one-that would probably really hurt since it's metal.

The Little Tikes cart has a narrow space under the handle so this is not a problem. The pottery Barn cart doesn’t seem to have that space either. FOr DS - I love the plastic Little Tikes. (Although the PB is MUCH cuter/realistic.)

Now all of this won't be a problem if you have a gentle child who will just causually push the cart around and "pretend play" like they are a Mommy/Daddy shopping in the grocery store. My son looks at it as an opportuinty for destruction!
:)

Hippoharbor
12-07-2005, 03:09 PM
I saw this same one, or something very similar, a couple of weeks ago. It seemed that it was so lightweight, that it was VERY tipsy when DS was trying to push it (granted, he is just learning to walk so that may have contributed). Have you noticed that yours is lightweight and could cause similar problems?

Michelle

lilycat88
12-07-2005, 03:35 PM
This discussion was helpful and changed our mind. We were going to get the metal Sensational Beginnings one but my antique furniture is thanking me, I think. We decided to go another direction and get a doll buggy instead. We're getting this Little Tikes one that seems to look more like a "thing to put stuff in and push around" than an actual doll buggy. But, since the main objective is to have something she can push and I don't think she gives a hoot what thing she pushes around, this is what we ended up ordering. There is a similar older version in our church nursery that she dearly loves.

I have not seen this in a B&M store and not even on Target, Walmart, or Amazon websites. We ordered directly from Little Tikes.

http://www.littletikes.com/Toys/Toys-Detail.aspx?Product_ID=2597&Description=Doll+Buggy&ProductCategory=DOLL

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Jamelin
DD Susanna 6/29/04

lisams
12-07-2005, 07:18 PM
It is, but DD got hers when she was 2 so we had no problems. It doesn't seem like a good toy for a new walker - I would not recommend it for a child who is newly walking.