PDA

View Full Version : Graco Pack N Play or Travel Lite Crib?

BayAreaMom
12-01-2005, 05:06 PM
I am stumped! Originally I was going to get a $100 pack n play, with a bassinet and changing table. My intended use was at my house to use as a bassinet for the first couple of weeks the baby is home before she starts sleeping in her crib, then use perhaps on the first floor of our house for naps and a changing area so we aren't running upstairs all the time. I also thought i would use the bassinet for the baby to sleep in our cabin because we didn't want to get a full-size crib there, and I just don't like the look of the Cosco Portacrib.

Then a mom at work suggested I just go with a $60 Graco travel lite crib, because she says she never used the pack n play for anything other than sleeping, that you don't really need the changing table because you can change them anywhere, and because they are kinda big and bulky. She hadn't used the travel lite crib, but just thought it would be better than the pack n play for sleeping. I LOVE the look of the travel lite crib in the jayden pattern. And, i like how its smaller than a pack n play.

I assumed pack n plays were very useful. BUT, now i'm thinking maybe i could live with the Travel Lite Crib only, and use it at home until the baby starts sleeping in the crib, then take it up to the cabin and use it there until the baby outgrows it (though, it sounds like i'll need to get something else to tide me over until she can sleep in a twin bed). Does this sound do-able? Has anyone used the travel lite crib? The pack n play is only $40 more, so perhaps it would be worth it if its more versatile.

Thanks for advice!
Darcy

eb1
12-01-2005, 07:55 PM
I can't answer any of your questions about the Travel Lite crib (but check the weight limits on it versus the Pack N Play to see if either will last longer). I would advise you to choose whichever item you get based on function rather than aesthetics though.

Pack N Plays, in general, are one of those "lifestyle" items, meaning some parents probably buy them thinking they are necessary but never use them, and others get a ton of use out of them. We used ours tons, and we have a one-story, smallish home.

We rarely used our pack n' play as a playard, but it was definitely handy to have a safe place to plunk our DS for a couple minutes once he became mobile. If we had pets or other children, I probably would have used it even more as a quickie safe haven (so you can answer the door, go to the bathroom, whatever). Curiously, later (like age 1+) DS would ask to go in the pack n' play for a few minutes, as though it was a treat.

We used, and still use, the pack n' play as our sole changing table. (DS is now 20 months.) I didn't buy a separate table, because I too heard that you can change a baby anywhere. Unfortunately, that method didn't work out for us...when DS was little, we had frequent mid-diaper-change "accidents" so it was nice to have the changing table rather than ruining our bedding, carpet, etc., and then later he was so squirmy, that again it was too hard for us to use the floor or a bed or wherever. It's also nice to have diapers, cream, etc., in reach. However, the change table is really not at a comfortable height, IMO. I would have bought a separate one after DS arrived and I saw how much I preferred to use it, but we didn't have space.

DS slept in the pack n play, both as an infant in the bassinette and then later as a travel bed (again, it was nice to have the change table portion to take with us on trips).

Finally, we used the pack n' play to corral balls and other toys.

susan_k
12-01-2005, 08:03 PM
I have the Graco Travel Lite crib and like it, the weight restrictions are the same on both the Travel Lite & Pack & Play, so it's really a decision on what you're going to use it for. If you think you'll put your baby in it to play & sleep, go for the bigger one. If you think you'll just use it as a crib, then go for the Travel Lite. It is nice and portable, was great as a first place for my DD to sleep when we brought her home from the hospital. Since our bedroom is on the small side, we decided to go with the Travel Lite and I haven't regreted my decision yet!

Susan