PDA

View Full Version : She can take the tray off?

klc92201
12-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Well I am the worst Mother in history of Mom's. I didn't strap my DD into her highchair today at lunch and somehow she took/kicked off the tray and fell head first on the tiled floor. I don't know how it happened, I put her in the chair and then fed her some and then went to get another jar of food and then I heard bam, the tray hit the ground. I looked at my DD who was leaning over the edge of the chair trying not to fall, then she fell and hit the ground head first. I took her to the doctor and they said that she is fine. They did think that she had broken her skull but ruled that out. The only thing they didn't do is a head scan because she was up alert, playing, laughing, clapping etc. I feel so terrible and guilty that I didn't strap her in. I guess the tray gave me a false sense of security, I never thought it would come off.

So I put my niece in it for her lunch and strapped her in. 5 minutes later the tray is on the floor, I don't know how they can push it off but they do. The highchair is a Fisher Price Healthy Chair and spost to be the best one. I talked to Fisher PRice and they said they have no other reports of this and would refund my money if I want them too. I said yes, so they are coming to pick up the chair sometime this week.

Has anyone else has this similar problem? I have to go buy a new highchair now and have no clue which ones to buy? Any help would be great!

o_mom
12-05-2005, 08:56 PM
I have the Healthy Care Highchair - is that the one you are talking about or the Healthy Start? If you have the Healthy Start, disregard this next part.

I personally have not had that problem, but I know my friend's DS when he was around 2.5-3yo learned how to reach over the sides and pull the levers to release the tray. He never fell out but would dump a tray full of food when he was in the mood. We stopped using the highchair around 20 mos, so I never got to that point.

The only thing I can think is that chair seems to have a short distance from the back to the tray, so you have to put it quite close to the child's body to click into the first setting. I have several times thought it was secure, only to have the child move and the tray come off. Especially right now, DS2 is 7 mos and 20+ lbs, so he has a BIG belly and it is kind of tight even on the farthest out setting.

If you have the Healthy START - you might consider the Healthy CARE as a replacement. It has a 5pt. harness and can be used without the tray as a booster chair (just pull it up to the table).

dules
12-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi, are you sure the tray is hooked in properly? Did you inspect all the catches to see if one is broken?

We used that chair for 8+ months without a problem, but we did always use the harness (I'm a stickler about that - made my daycare throw away an older swing that had a tray but no harness).

I'm sorry you went through this, but glad your DD is all right.

Best,
Mary

ellies mom
12-05-2005, 09:02 PM
I heard the Baby Trends did this. Once the child gets to a certain size, they can reach their toes up into the release mechanism and well, you've seen what happens. I'm glad your daughter is ok. That would be so scary.

JBaxter
12-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Nathan figured out how to take the tray off before he was a year old. He just reached under the side and unlatched it. I started to used the booster w/ a try instead. Sorry to hear she fell. I never even thought to report it to FP.

klc92201
12-05-2005, 09:26 PM
It is the healthy care! I really played around with it tonight and what is going on is that one side is not latching completely so when the baby pushes against it, it pops off. I was thinking about the eddie bauyer one but I want something that has a 5 point harness. I may concider another FP one but I want to play around with their trays to see if they come off too.

Thanks for the kind words I was/am worry someone would come and letchure me. Trust me I have learned my lession, all about saftey around here. Anymore suggestions? I don't want to spend a fortune if I don't have too.

Heather

mom2aidan
12-06-2005, 12:31 AM
I also have the same highchair and my DS who's 18 months old is able to unlatch the tray as well. He touches the sides and it looks so easy for him to do it. It's problematic for me since he can pretty much lift the tray up with all the food in there. I never really thought of calling FP about it but your post made me realize that this is a serious issue. I have made it a habit of strapping him in but still it concerns me that it's so easy for them to take off.

kensjen
12-06-2005, 02:23 AM
My DS was able to take the tray off before he was a year old. Luckily, I always had him strapped in, so he never fell...that must have been scary. I'm sorry that happened to your DD.

I ordered a kinderzeat as soon as he started taking off the tray of the FP chair, and we have been using it ever since. It is pricy, but it has been worth it for us.

I'm glad you called FP, hopefully they will fix this.

julieakc
12-06-2005, 02:54 AM
>I heard the Baby Trends did this. Once the child gets to a
>certain size, they can reach their toes up into the release
>mechanism and well, you've seen what happens. I'm glad your
>daughter is ok. That would be so scary.

Wow - I can't imagine this with my Baby Trend. I wonder if they changed the design....I have to completely hold (with a good, precise grip) the handle on mine to pull it off. It is supposedly a one hand release tray...but I find a need to use one to pull the tray and the other to kind of steady the chair so it doesn't just move with the tray. This actually doesn't bother me at all since I feel DS is VERY secure and turns out to be one of the many features I love about my baby trend. I used a friend's highchair ( a Graco) and DS was immediately able to release the tray! It made me really appreciate how firmly my tray attaches. I also like that my Baby Trend has a really high leg divider (don't know what that hump between the legs is called) because that also makes it more difficult to fall out.

julieakc
12-06-2005, 03:14 AM
How scary for you. I'm glad she is fine.

No you are not the worst mom in history. We've all been there with something. I felt that way the first (yes, it's happened more than once) time DS fell off the bed. Ok, I felt that way the second time too! I think it's only happened twice. However he's fallen from the couch a couple of times too. Once he took a bad tumble and I was really scared because he seemed really out of it afterwards, but he was back to himself within about a half hour.

As for a new highchair....see my comments in my pp in response to comments about the Baby Trend.

This is the chair I have (in a diffrent pattern...although this one matches DS's room...don't think this pattern was around when we registered; also now comes with 2 trays and 2 pads..bummer for me...all things I would love to have :-( )

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007Q1IHG/qid=1133856162/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-8604162-6191847?v=glance&s=baby

This is the one my friend has, which my DS figured out in just one meal, so I'd stay away from it (IMHO); considering how fast my guy figured out how to get the tray off I'm really surprised none of the reviews seem to mention this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007A2KBU/qid=1133855945/br=1-2/ref=br_lf_ba_2//103-8604162-6191847?v=glance&s=baby&n=547944

I really do love my Baby Trend, so if you have any questions I am happy to answer them.

Good luck in your search.

The Review Mommy
12-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Hmmm....this makes me wonder about my in-laws Peg Pereo. I don't see how it would be possible to have the tray come off. The release handle is in the front center part of the tray (not attaching by the sides). You have to pull on the handle all the way to get it off. The tips actually have to twist to come out. The leg separator is also very tall. But I'm still nervous because they don't ever use the harness. Anyone have problems with their Peg Perego?

Rebekah

brittone2
12-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Wow, I'm so sorry you and DD had to go through that. We never had a problem w/ our FP Healthy Care Deluxe but DS hated it so we switched to a KZ around 18 months or so.

You aren't a bad mama....a lot of us have BTDT with our own stories. DS fell off the bed when he was 5 months old...onto Pergo without any carpeting over it (from a very high bed). You live and learn...DD is okay and that is what is important.

daniele_ut
12-06-2005, 04:10 PM
There's no way DS could get his toes up into the tray release on our Baby Trend High Chair. There is a guard to prevent it. Even if he could the tray fits on quite snugly and I don't think he'd be able to budge it. As Julie said, it's not really a one hand release and I like that!

o_mom
12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
It sounds like something is broken on the chair, then. Ours has been used for about 26 mos total over two kids and never had a problem, but I will keep an eye out for this.

I would recommend the FP Healthy Care, but I guess you will want something else. :-) I did just see an ad for a new FP highchair - the Easy Clean - it's not on their website, but there is an ad in the Jan 06 issue of Parents.

Look for ones that you can use without the tray, like the FP. That was a great feature for us which made the transition to a booster much easier. We would just pull him up to the table for a few months, so he was used to eating at the table, but was still restrained. Some of the Gracos have a big bar underneath that the tray sits on, so you can't do this. Others you can't adjust the height, so it may not fit at your table.

HTH!

bluestar2
12-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Sometimes if the harness isn't being used, the ends can get stuck between the tray and the seat and the tray won't snap on properly, otherwise we haven't had any problems with our Healthy Care highchair like you mentioned. Just bve sure to move it out of the way before snapping on the tray. Glad to hear your daughter is ok. We have tile iin our house too and it is a bruiser. Poor DS banged his forehead accidentally while playing on it the other day and got a big goose-egg on his forehead :( (he has done this on our hardwood and painted wood but never has gotten anything like this before).

klc92201
12-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks girls for all of your helpful suggestions. I am still not sure what I am going to replace it with as the FP one is spost to be the best.

I can't believe that there are others out there that have a child that can take off the tray. FP told me they had no other reports of this and said that it isn't a problem. I told my DH that our DD wasn't the only one that could do this and he layed off of the guilt trip a little bit. I guess this is crazy sounding but I am glad to know that we aren't the only ones with a little magician.

Heather

Cara
12-07-2005, 01:15 PM
I am very surprised that FP Customer Service doesn't acknowledge the problem. I have 2 of the DeLuxe Healthy Care high chairs and one of my twin boys has been able to kick the tray since we purchased the chairs. There was at least one if not more discussions on this board about this problem. When I called FP, they agreed to send me replacement trays, but unfortunately the problem remained. At that point, I gave up and just made sure to always use the harness. My boys are 2 1/2 now and are still straped in their high chairs.

klc92201
12-08-2005, 03:49 PM
I thought that FP must have some issues because they offered to buy back the chair but she said nope. Do you think another FP chair will do the same thing or should I try another brand? I like the way the back of the chair is curved and it held her nicely when she was younger, now it looks like it limits her movement.

Heather

christymc33
12-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi Heather,
I am so glad your daughter is ok. I have had the same exact problems with the Fisher Price Healthy Care. I have the Jungle Plaid. Our tray has fallen off more times than I can count, at least a few times a week. DD is only 9 months and barely taps it and it falls right off onto the floor. I always check to make sure that it is on properly, but it still seems to fall off. I hadnt called Fisher Price because I thought it was just how the chair was made.
What a mess! I hope you find one that works better for you.
:-) Christy

klc92201
12-10-2005, 10:45 AM
So I called FP again because after hearing that I wasn't the only one that had a baby that can take off the tray I was mad that they told me they don't have any problems. I told the lady that UPS tried to pickup the chair but they didnt' tell me I needed to box it and UPS guy said that was their last attempt. I also checked to see how much my check was for and to ask why they wouldn't take the extra take off trays too. The lady said they were only sending $66 insead of $75 because that is the average price. Excuse me I pd more.

Then I told her I wanted my full $75 and I wanted the $25 I pd for the extra take off trays. She insisted that I couldn't buy them seperately from the chair. I gave her the model number off the pkg and she still said that it was a valid number but no price comes up. So I asked for a supervisor to call me back and nothing yet. ahhhh, I am so frustrated with them. To make matters worse I bought the baby trends high chair but my daughter is too small for it. I was hoping that all the reviews were wrong. LOL!! So now back to baby's R us again. I am thinking about taking it up to BAby's R us and telling them to deal with FP.

Heather

klc92201
12-16-2005, 04:04 PM
UPDATE:So after FP not refunding my full price because I only had a gift reciept, I took it back to Baby'sRUS with the gift reciept and they gave me the full price and took back my extra trays.

At first I replaced the FP chair with the Baby Trends one but you girls are right my DD couldn't realy get to the good very well. Finally I ended up buying the Eddie Bayer wooden highchair because I don't use or need all of those features. So far it is great. I love the tray and the fact that when the tray is off there is a little snack tray to prevent her from coming out. I was nervous that it didn't have a 5 point harness but my sister has this chair and loves it. Thanks girls for all of your help.

Heather