PDA

View Full Version : toy garage for 16 month old?

luckymom
12-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Hi-

Looking for recommendations on a toy garage for my car obsessed 16 month old for xmas. I was thinking either the FP little people ramp around garage, which I'm guessing he'd love, or the Plan toys City garage. Is the FP more age appropriate? I'd rather buy him the nice wood one, we really don't need any more plastic junk, but if he'd enjoy it more.... Anyone have experience with either with a toddler?

Thanks in advance!
Lucy

sarasprings
12-06-2005, 06:38 PM
We didn't get the fisher price one because we didn't want plastic, but DS's friend had it and DS loved it. We borrowed it when the mom rotated it out and he played with it from about 18 months until 3ish. He really liked the ramp and the elevator was easy to use.

We almost bought the Plan one, but DS's interest in the other was waning and I didn't want to spend the money if it wasn't going to be used. I found another wooden one at a garage sale (for $3 -- yah!). The elevator was a bit harder to use, but DS was interested mostly in the ramp amyway. He got probably $10 worth of use out of it (played with it heavily for a few weeks and then maybe once a week throughout the summer) and our next, I'm guessing, will use it, so it was worth it.

Over the summer (DS turned 3 in May), he was much more interested in building roads than playing with a car garage (although he did use the garage occasionally) so sand toys were invaluable.

kboyle
12-06-2005, 08:38 PM
DS1 got the FP one last xmas and even though it's been out he's just started to play with it. He has been vehicle obsessed since day 1, but just wasn't feelin the FP. Just recently though he's been playing with it a lot. He doesn't use the cars it came with but he does use his thousands of Hot Wheels. Since it's a bit cheaper than the wooden ones I'd go for this one first, then if it's a big hit you could get him a wooden one for his bday. I was looking into the wooden ones, but I've decided to add onto his existing train table which also gets lots of Hot Wheel use.

luckymom
12-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the help! I saw the Plan toys one at a store today, and hadn't realized how tiny the cars were. It also looked like with the abuse he gives his toys, he could probably break or chew off some small pieces, so I think we're better off with the FP for now.

Thanks!