PDA

View Full Version : Bouncer or swing for infant?

citymama
12-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Hello,
We're expecting our first baby in 3 months. I'm trying to figure out whether to register for a swing or a bouncer. We don't want to get both, but I like the idea of a seat for the baby to relax in. We live in a small apartment so space is an issue -- we can't get both! Any advice or brand suggestions?

We'd like to make a purchase that isn't in overly bright colors since it'll probably sit in our tiny living room the entire time!

Thanks for any advice...

mom_hanna
12-06-2005, 10:03 AM
I can only go on my experience, but my DD hated the bouncer, but loves swings of any kind. Everyone I know who has had a swing has said their child loved it. HTH.

Joshuasmommy
12-06-2005, 10:12 AM
My son was the opposite. The bouncy seat was my lifesaver but he didnt' care for swings. The bouncy seat was the only reason I got a shower the first few months. I think all kids are different so you just never know. I borrowed a swing so I wasn't out any money.

juliasmom05
12-06-2005, 10:47 AM
We have both a swing and a bouncy seat. Although we have used our bouncy seat, our swing was a lifesaver during the first several months since this is the only place DD would sleep during the day. We also have a swing in the bathroom, otherwise I don't think I would have ever been able to take a shower in the morning. So if I had to pick one, I would pick the swing. Just to let you know, DD hated both in the very beginning, but ended up liking them after a month or two.

We have both a full size swing (FP papasan cradle) and a FP Aquarium take-along-swing. We have gotten lots of use of both, but if space is an issue a take along type swing, which is much smaller, may work for you.

Here are some of FP take along swings

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2005&e=thumb&pcat=bgsw_tas&selCat=bgsw&ppage=1&ppagesize=9&site=us&ccat=bgsw_tas&ctype=article.

Although we haven't used one, many people also like the infant to toddler rockers. I think one of them is also a swing.

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2004&e=detail&site=us&pid=31327
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2004&e=detail&site=us&pid=32074
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2004&e=detail&site=us&pid=32071

HTH

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

BaileyBea
12-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Okay I'll admit it... I am a gear crazy Mom. But I used all of them.

I loved the bouncer during those first days and I played the heartbeat music at the same time and was able to take a shower. We used the bouncer till he was about 4 months and would sit him on top of the table while we ate dinner. It was so nice.

We were fortunate to borrow an Aquarium Swing. It was a lifesaver. DS took the longest naps in this swing and we used it several times per day till DS was about 6 months. Now we just use it while he watches Baby Einstein.

I loved the Take-A-Long Swing because it was easy to use and low to the ground. So I highly recommend that if you can only have one swing/bouncer. Mostly for the portablity which is a plus, if you travel. I was able to fit my swing in a large Luggage bag and it was so great to have on trips.

I also recommend The Happiest Baby on the Block, buy the DVD. We watched this the first day we got home w/DS and it was a lifesaver. Both DH and I learned so much from this Video. It was truely a great thing.

hillview
12-06-2005, 12:15 PM
It totally depends on your child ... DS HATES his swing and loved his bouncer ... he is just growing out of it -- but still sits in it for a while every day. Any way you could hold off on deciding and when DC is born go try a friend's bouncy chair and swing and see which DC prefers?
/hillary

Momof3Labs
12-06-2005, 01:51 PM
DS hated his bouncer and was fine in his swing a few times, though not really worth the $100 price tag. IMO, you won't know the right answer until baby is here!

betsydenny
12-06-2005, 02:01 PM
As you can tell from pps it really depends on your baby. I could not have lived without my bouncer for both my kids and neither of them cared for the swing much.

Regarding the overly bright colors I remember going to TRU with DH when we were preg #1 and looked at the Kick and Play and vowed NEVEr to have that bouncer. We got a nice navy one. WEll guess what. Both my kids hated the navy one and lived in the heinus Kick and Play that my godmother bought us. I vowed never to put the batteries in. Then took out stock in double A batteries.

Really what I am saying is be open to whatever works. I find that I rarely say never anymore because I find that I am eating it just a couple of months later! And remember, noone is looking at the bouncer, they are looking at your baby!

Good luck!

Canna
12-06-2005, 02:05 PM
We live in an apartment as well and I see the bouncer as essential. We never got a swing. We tried DD in a friends and she didn't seem really into it.

The easy portability of the boucy seat makes it great. Even now, at 10 months, I am able to bathe myself and DD because she will hang out in the bouncey seat long enough for me to wash my own hair and then get her into the tub. When she was little, it was great to be able to pick up the entire seat with the sleeping baby in it and move it around easily.

Our seat is brightly colored, but when DD was smaller, we most often had a blanket on top of it anyway...and bouncey seats are small enough that I don't think they're a huge eyesore like swings and exersaucers can be.

The one we have is a Fisher Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker variety of seat. I do like that it can be used as a rocking chair by a toddler so it's not as quickly grown-out-of as many bouncey seats.

A couple of pictures for you:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dc00b3127cce90fe9d3823a200000005138McOXLhw20
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd07b3127cce9155ae92d53700000005108McOXLhw20

sarahbrown29
12-06-2005, 03:10 PM
For us, the vibrating bouncy seat was a LIFESAVER! DD didn't like her swing until she was ~3 months old. We called the bouncy her "chair" and would put her in it by us at dinner.

What you might want to try and get both, and then return one. I know kids who hated the bouncy seat, but loved the swing and vice versa.

Good luck!

o_mom
12-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Well, chalk it up to hand me downs, but we have 4 bouncy seats and two swings. :-)

Bouncy seats:

Safety 1st - things I like - fully reclines so newborn can use it, toy bar is adjustable so you can move it closer/farther depending on childs age. Things I don't like - toybar has velcro loops for attaching that don't hold well, vibrator is on the stand, not the seat, so it really doesn't vibrate, can't use once they sit up.

OshKosh - things I like - vibrator is on seat, toys stay clipped to bar well Things I don't like - it is very flat, so we stopped using it early as we were afraid DS would fall out, can't use once they sit up.

Fisher Price Infant to Toddler Rocker (2) - this is the one I would choose if I were only getting one. Things I like - reclines flat for newborn, deep seat which seems very secure, toys stay on bar well, vibrator on seat, toy loops on seat and toy bar, High weight limit and can be used once they sit up. Things I don't like - toy bar doesn't adjust, so there are times/positions where they can't reach the toys.

Swings:

Fisher Price Cradle Swing (there are several models, we have the ducks): We love this swing - the side to side swinging is the best.

Graco generic swing -OK, but nothing special. only went front to back, and never seemed to put them to sleep, but kept them happy.

jhaud
12-06-2005, 03:35 PM
we had both. dh preferred the swing (i used it with dd a few times), but it was one we could fold closed easily (it was out of wht way when not in use and not overly large anyway - ne bells and whistles). i preferred the bouncy seat. it was much easier for me to move around... so it was in living room while i pumped, bathroom while i showered. we have a small bathroom and while it was in the way in there, i could still get in and out of the tub/shower and do what i needed to do, while keeping dd within eyeshot.

congrats and good luck!

jennifer

elliput
12-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I received hand-me-down swings and a bouncy seat. DD preferred the swings.

If you can borrow both, I would suggest that route!

annasmom
12-06-2005, 03:43 PM
I never had a swing, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I would think that a bouncy chair would serve more purposes and would be a better investment if you are only going to buy one.

With the bouncy seat, your baby can be entertained by the movement, or can sleep peacefully. In my experience, it is really nice to have those extra places to set the baby down safely. As a previous poster mentioned the ability to have the baby in the seat and move her from room to room, while she remains sleeping, and you take a shower or do whatever is priceless!

citymama
12-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the really helpful feedback. Anyone have opinions on either of these bouncers? (In plain colors!) Looks like they would only be useful for the first 5 or 6 months, unlike the infant-to-toddler rocker...

Carter's Bouncer
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002GTFNU/ref=pd_cps_ba_3/103-0855737-8931022?v=glance&s=baby

Fisher Price Safari Bouncer
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007KGVFG/ref=wl_it_dp/103-0855737-8931022?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I2YUYG3U7VWB80&v=glance&colid=31GTXGUYO299G

JBaxter
12-06-2005, 04:58 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000A7JLB2/qid=1133906159/br=1-9/ref=br_lf_ba_9//104-8512907-3025519?v=glance&s=baby&n=549052

That may solve your problem. Nathan had the infant to toddler rocker and we still use it and he is 2.

bluestar2
12-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Dc loved the bouncy, and it was one of the very few baby things that we actually needed and used the most. We also had a small travel swing that they hated and sat unused most of the time. The swinging motion didn't calm them down at all, but it seems it really depends on the baby since some babies love the swing.

daisysue62
12-07-2005, 01:12 PM
We have both a FP Take Along Swing and a FP bouncer and the bouncer wins hands down. I LOVE the bouncer because it's somewhere I can put dd that keeps her safe and my hands free. It's especially useful at meal times, Dh and I can eat at the table and pull dd up next to us and she's perfectly happy. The one we have is neon green but I could care less at this point because it works :)