PDA

View Full Version : Humidifiers

mkjones14
12-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Can anyone suggest a good humidifier for my 8-month old DS?

mommabear
12-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Ae have this one and have been happy with it so far
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2630422

lilycat88
12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
We get the cheapest possible, to be honest. In the past 18 months we've gone through about 3 of the nicer ones with the filter and stuff and been much happier buying a $10 vicks (or similar). The whole filter thing creeps me out. It seems like it is never clean and they get slimy even when we follow all of the directions. So, cheap is what we go for. We just got one we LOVE LOVE LOVE from Walgreens for around $8 on sale. It's made my Sunbeam but sold under the Walgreens name. We use a warm mist. I know not everyone likes those.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

knaidel
12-07-2005, 01:54 PM
We also have the care-free one from Hunter. We have 2- one for DS and one for us. If you don't want that one, then Consumer Reports did an article on them in 10/2004. You can't go wrong with one of the ones by Holmes or Honeywell- available at bed bath & beyond.

ainwonderland
12-07-2005, 02:31 PM
I second the recommendation for a Holmes one. I have a fairly small (maybe a gallon or 1.5?) in my daughters room that I didn't pay very much money for. For some reason I think I got it at Target. The thing is silent. Seriously, I cannot believe how quiet it is. I frequently have to turn it on high so I can see the fog (its a warm mist model)to be certain it's actually running. Now why I don't just believe the little yellow light when I turn it on is another story :-)

Tondi G
12-08-2005, 05:45 PM
We bought 2 made by Holmes at Bed Bath and Beyond. Cool mist humidifier and it is nice and quiet.... and doesn't make a trickling water sound that makes me feel like I need to pee all night long! LOL

We like it very much so far.... had it for about a month and use it every night! Oh and it was 30 bucks and we had a 20% off coupon!

~Tondi

mypa
12-08-2005, 11:42 PM
I just recently went through a lot of research about humidifiers and decided on the Air-O-Swiss ultrasonic warm/cool mist humidifier. Here are my reasons:
1) I had a cool mist evaporative humidifier but did not like dealing with all the fungal growth on the filter( bateriostat, however, did kill it), humidity only went up high enough on high and it was too loud, and the wind generated by the fan, though nice in the summer time, was too cold for the winter.
2) Didn't try a warm mist because I need a humidifier for both hot hot and dry days in So. Cal (Santa Ana Winds) and cold nights in winter and heard warm mist "warms" the room.
3) The Air-O-Swiss solved all my problems. High enough humidity output when needed, demineralization cartridge so no white dust, dual germicide via silver stick and warm mist capability that you can choose to turn on or off, digital humidistat and display, and super quiet operation. However, it is expensive at 149.99, but at BedBathBeyond w/20%off coupon was 120 and expensive upkeep in terms of replacing cartridge/silver stick (once or twice/yr) but for my purpose it was worth it.
If I was getting a humidifier just for the winter, I would probably get a warm-mist (good ones out there but more expensive operation cost than ultrasonic).