PDA

View Full Version : A couple of play kitchen questions...

smilequeen
12-09-2005, 04:49 PM
I may just have lost my mind, but anyway...

Simon just turned 1 and I just ordered him the metro kitchen from PBK. A play kitchen is the one thing I always wanted as a child and never had, so I've wanted to buy one for him. Our local kids boutique has a play kitchen in their play area and Simon always runs to that when we go there.

Is 13 months (what he'll be at Christmas) too young for that?
Are there any play foods that kids his age will enjoy that are safe (no small pieces)?
I got him pots and pans for it, which are his real obsession right now.
Are the PBK kitchens of good quality? We have other furniture from there and it's all fine but not that heavily used.

My husband may just kill me. I promised that I'd get this for his second birthday...

brittone2
12-09-2005, 04:54 PM
We got Logan's kitchen when he was 15 months or so. He wasn't really pretending with it at that point, but he liked opening/closing all of the doors/cabinets and turning all of the knobs, so as long as you are okay with that to start, I think he'll enjoy it and grow into it :)

We have the M&D cutting food and DS got it around 13 months. I took a few pieces that were really small away in the beginning but there was a lot he could still use. However, DS was always really careful about what he put into his mouth so I have never worried too much over that, but many parents would probably not like the cutting food set for a child that young. I think their regular (non cutting) food items are pretty big if I'm not mistaken. The Haba food is adorable but definitely too small IMO for a 13 month old.

Not sure if that helps but I thought I'd answer until you get more info. DS loves the Metro kitchen when we go to PBK :)

Toba
12-10-2005, 10:54 AM
We just got the whole Metro kitchen too ... we were debating on the dishwasher as they didn't have it in stock, but PBK just called yesterday and said they just got one in ... so we're just going to complete the set. We haven't put it together as it's a Christmas present, but he's played with the set countless times at PBK. I think it's *very* well made. My only gripe with it is that the oven door opens like a regular door (side to side) and not like an oven door (top to bottom), but I'm sure there's a logical reason for it that escapes me ... maybe so they can't stand on it?

We bought the pots and pans from PBK and a whole dinnerware set, including utensils, from Parents Magazine. He's also got almost all the food sets from Melissa & Doug for Christmas. The fruit and veggie baskets, play food set (wooden boxes of food and condiments) and spice rack in particular I think would be good for your son. I haven't opened up the fruit and veggie baskets yet, but from what I can tell, the pieces aren't choking hazards at all (who knows what's on the bottom though). The other pieces that we got, which are the food groups, the pizza kit and cutting foods, I think are too small for your son, and quite honestly, I think there will be several pieces that I'll remove for my 20-month-old son as well, especially the pizza and cutting foods. Oh, we also got the sandwich set, and I think those pieces are pretty big too. I haven't seen HABA in person, but I've heard from several people here that they are very small, so I would steer clear from those unless you can see them for yourself.

And if he's playing with kitchens in stores, I would guess he's at a fine age for a kitchen! ;)

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

brittone2
12-10-2005, 12:03 PM
I just wanted to say you are right about why the doors open side to side vs. like a regular oven. I know several BTDT parents here have actually recommended kitchens with those types of doors because kids are so tempted to climb on top of or stand on the "regular" style of oven door, and of course it ends up broken or the kitchen tips over.

So in a way, it is probably a good thing :)

smilequeen
12-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Yep, I KNOW without a doubt if it opened down, Simon would climb up on it. He's a climber.

Thanks to both of you. I talked to DH about it today, he rolled his eyes first and then just said "cool". Bullet dodged :)

Toba
12-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Funny you should say that ... I thought that too, but when we went and picked up the dishwasher today, I studied the display a little more carefully. It opens up top to bottom!! I guess that shoots that theory, maybe they just forgot? :)

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

smilequeen
12-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Ugh...well, I guess if it becomes a problem I can put the dishwasher in storage for a while :)