PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have this monstrosity of a toy? (Step 2 Up and Down Roller Coaster)

lmintzer
12-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Jack saw this at his cousin's grandma's house and loved it. He played with it for hours, calling it "The Amtrak". He's asking for one for Hanukkah. We're planning on finishing our basement, so eventually, it could go down here. For now? Maybe our carpeted upstairs hallway? Just what every hallway needs, right?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005KBVD/ref=olp_product_details/002-5255246-8932835?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

mudder17
12-09-2005, 05:54 PM
We basically have one of those (with multiple cars) at our local tot-lot and it is definitely one of the more popular toys. I think I need to take Kaya to the tot-lot more often. :P

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

Beth568
12-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Those are very cute. My cousin had one for her kids, and for the first week or so they loved it (as did all the neighborhood kids), and then they quickly lost interest because it doesn't do that much, KWIM?

But - if your DS really liked it, and you'll eventually have space for it, it's worth a shot. My biggest concern was just that it seems to have a limited life, because once they're about 3, they're too big for it, I think.

lmintzer
12-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Well, it says ages 2-5. My 4 1/2 year-old is small--he's still wearing his 3T coat and snow pants from last year, for ex. He weighs about 35 lbs.

DS#2 is a peanut at age 2, so he'll have lots of time to use it.

I'd be more concerned about them getting bored of it. But I could have it out for a few days, put it away for a few weeks, and then take it out again on really cold, snowy days.

We'll see--I have a $100 Toys-R-Us gift certificate, so I could basically get it for free.

Twin Mom
12-09-2005, 11:08 PM
I wanted to get one for my kids for a while, but did not want to pay full price so I finally bought one locally on ebay. It came with 2 cars which was important to me since I knew my twins would argue over the car. Now each of them have their own so they take turns riding down the track. I actually keep the track on the side of my driveway and the cars in my garage. Mine is the old version where the track is gray, so fading is not really an issue as it would be with the newer brightly colored version. If you have a lot of room, it would definitely be a good thing to use indoors when the weather is cold. Unfortunately mine is really dirty and it would take a whole lot of cleaning for that so it will remain outside for a while.

My twins had a b-day party at a place that had one and there were some pretty big kids who rode on it so I think you will be ok if your kids are small. My twins are on the small side as well so I knew they would be able to use it for a while when I bought it. Plus I can resell it for around what I paid when I'm done through my twins club's consignment sale.

Maybe you could try to find it used on Craig's List or ebay so you don't have to use your whole gift certificate on 1 thing!

HTH.

Beth568
12-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Yes, if I had space to store it, I think this could be a very cool thing to have. My kids are often fascinated by old toys that have been out of rotation for a while and then come back out. I bet it would work really well with the roller coaster.

It's definitely a cool toy, if you have the space!

firsttimemommy
12-09-2005, 11:45 PM
We have it and it's a huge hit when anyone comes over to play. When we first got it DD was sort of interested, but it didn't excite her. I thought of selling it but then didnt and now that DS is old enough, he LOVES it (and of course now DD does too b/c she has someone to play on it with!)

I do put it away and take it back out to keep them from getting bored with it. Also, DS likes walking up and down the ramp as much as riding down it (just make sure they are barefoot, socks can be slippery on it)

I did get it on a megasale at Target for like $80 shipped a year or two ago.

HTH,

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

HannaAddict
12-10-2005, 02:02 AM
We do! I bought it off of craiglist, it was the first one I'd ever seen listed there. My husband had seen it in the toy catalog about a week earlier and thought it looked fun. My son loved it from when he was just 14 months or so and needed a spotter, to now. He used the ramp to practice walking up and down, then running up and down hills. He drives his cars and wooden trains on the ramp, and just finds all sorts of ways to use it besides the roller coaster way. He also uses the car as a push toy sometimes. He is 20 months and rides it by himself now (no spotter) and yells go, go, go before he flings himself off. We have it on our deck. It is the hot toy when playgroup comes over.

Kimberly

brigmaman
12-10-2005, 07:15 PM
My MIL bought this at a yard sale and keeps it at her house. ;) Brig loves it. It is outside and he even rides on it in the snow (probably not the safest thing). I think it looks like lot's of fun. Even when the car isn't in use the boys could use the track for Matchbox cars, etc. :)

ismommy
12-10-2005, 09:42 PM
We have it and it has become an outdoor toy. It is a huge hit when we have parties and Bella still loves it 3 years later. And yes it is fun - I rode it:)
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner

jeminaal
12-13-2005, 11:28 PM
We bought one off of Craigslist (for a STEAL!) a few months ago and my two children still LOVE to play with it every morning. It's in their playroom (AKA our formal dining room since we don't have a table) and it's a big, big hit!

Best toy purchase we've made in a long, long time. :)

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

lmintzer
12-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I think we'll get it. My wild boys need something physical to do in the house!