PDA

View Full Version : x-post plates etc

crl
12-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Posted in toddler's eating forum, but there's more traffic here. . . .

I'm pondering getting DS (2 1/2) plates, etc of his own. I confess that I have always just put his food on his tray or used a plastic bowl for things like apple sauce. His silverware consists of take and toss spoons and our salad forks.

I thought I might start working a bit on table manners (along the lines of eat off your plate, don't throw it) after the holidays and that cute "big kid" things might be a good idea. (Maybe a Valentine's day gift.) Obviously, nonbreakable is key and I'd want several sets so the stuff couldn't be too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

bluestar2
12-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Not really "cute", but I love the Corelle plates and bowls. They are so easy to clean, unbreakable, microwaveable, and aren't made of plastic. We have the plain white ones, small kid sized bowls, salad plates, and dinner plates. There are also cute classic pooh melamine dinnerware at Target. I don't see any on their website so I'm not sure if they're carrying them anymore but they may have some at the store.

o_mom
12-11-2005, 06:32 PM
I got some polycarbonate plates and bowls at Bed Bath and Beyond. They are microwave and dishwasher safe and won't break. All the "kids" stuff is melamine which is not microwave safe. Not to mention I have older nieces and nephews and it is an endless arguement who gets the Dora/Spidey/Pooh/etc plate, so I totally avoided that and got solid colors.

I also found a nice set of metal forks and spoons which were a "cocktail" set, but are just right for toddlers. I looked again last time I was there, but couldn't find more, so YMMV.

kboyle
12-11-2005, 07:49 PM
i used to alway just put stuff on the tray too, but around summertime i figured that i'd start using plates/bowls too since he's got to learn sooner or later. i just use the gerber plastic bowls and plates that come with lids. they are really cheap and non-breakable and are in VERY bright, fun colors. i do microwave them, but nothing that he eats is nuked for more than a minute. anything i nuke over 40 sec goes on a REAL plate anyway, then i transfer to a kid plate. now that he's used to it, i'll use regular plates if i have to. he knows not to throw anyway.

holliam
12-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Pottery Barn Kids has cute plates with compartments. Mari started insisting on using a plate and bowl and silverware around 12 months of age. She saw us using them and insisted. I'm buying her a set of Oneida children's flatware for Christmas because her plastic fork and spoon are really annoying her lately.

Holli

nitaghei
12-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Check out Ikea, if you can. Lots of cute toddler stuff. Some very nice inexpensive toddler flatware, too.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

lizamann
12-12-2005, 10:21 AM
I know we're unusual in this, but dd has done just fine with our regular stuff, which of course is not expensive irreplaceable stuff to begin with. I think she's broken 2 glasses in 2 years, but I've broken at least 3-4 wine glasses in the same time period! Anyway, I've enjoyed not having any cutesy-themed dinnerware at the table. I know some kids can't handle real plates, but some can.

Mabster
12-12-2005, 10:46 AM
I have the Classic Pooh Melamine stuff from Target - some plates & bowls, never went for the glasses etc. I did but them recently so I don't think you'd have any problem finding them if you choose to go that way. I know it says that it isn't microwave or dishwasher safe (bottom rack) but I have done both with no problems thus far.

kelly ann
12-12-2005, 11:41 AM
We have a PBK plate for DS and it is great. He loves the compartments and it has held up so well.

crl
12-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Thank you for all the great suggestions. I'll have to ponder letting him use some of our dishes. We have some largish saucers that fit on his highchair tray. . . .

Thanks!

essnce629
12-15-2005, 06:07 PM
My boyfriend's mother bought Conner a 3-piece set of Kelly B. Rightsell ceramic dishes last Christmas and we just started using them a few months ago (around his 2nd birthday). I like them because the painting is so nice on them and they are heavy (unlike plastic) so he doesn't seem to have the urge to "toss" them around like lighter weight dishes. He also has his own set of silverware (bought at Target dollar spot a few months ago), which I like because they fit his hands perfectly. He doesn't use a highchair though-- he sits in a booster seat at the table.

http://www.kellybrightsell.com/gift/ceramic/index.html
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31295.jpg

***Latia
Conner, my homebirthed water baby, 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

crl
12-15-2005, 07:40 PM
What adorable dishes! Thanks for posting them.

dules
12-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Same here. DD just turned two, and she's been using regular dishes since about 20 months or so. We use Fiestaware and it's pretty heavy, not terribly expensive (though she has not tossed any, knock wood) and the bowls are nice, wide and flat on the bottom. If it's a sandwich or other easy to 'catch' food she gets a plate, if it's spaghetti, peas, etc. I put it in a bowl.

She uses a regular salad fork and teaspoon. Messy but does not seem too hard for her.

Best,
Mary

kozachka
12-17-2005, 04:48 PM
DS hardly ever uses kid size flatware and seems to be perfectly content. We only have one set with holes and a take and toss set that he refuses to use. He uses both kid size and our regular plates at the table, whatever is clean. Luckily, he does not throw plates, just dumps food from them. I don't let him 'play' with food, as soon as he's done, the plate gets removed.