PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning stuffed animals? Jellycat in particular?

JacksMommy
12-13-2005, 12:42 PM
My son adores his Jellycat bunglie mutt "Spot". My trouble? His cream colored fur is distinctly dingy. Spot (no pun intended!) cleaning is the only method recommended by the company so I tried Woolite upholstery cleaner (I got that suggestions somewhere) but didn't notice much change in Spot's condition other than that he smelled REALLY strongly of fresh spring breeze (or whatever).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

R2sweetboys
12-13-2005, 07:51 PM
I don't know anything about your son's particular stuffed animal so I'm not sure if this would be O.K. I've washed my sons' special bears in a pillowcase(tied up) on the gentle cycle and dried them on low. My 5 year old's bear is light yellow and gets very dirty at times. Washing him this way has done wonders. Just an idea.
~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

knaidel
12-13-2005, 08:12 PM
I found this online:

http://www.giftaroo.net/cgi-bin/store.cgi?&shop=city&cart=45664783x29379&session=439f711772c3ca0f&L=eng&P=GU-90182

I think that the PP suggestion might be better, but worth checking out.

hardysmom
12-14-2005, 03:51 PM
I know some Jellycat toys can be washed...

The "Lucky" dog at PBK is actually a Jellycat Truffle dog. The woman working there said she regularly washes and dries the one she bought for her son. According to her, the fleece stays soft, etc... That would be consistent with my experience

My 4 yr old has been attached to 2 bears (they are twins, like his sisters) for 2 years. They go EVERYWHERE and look/smell it. Anyway, after 6 mo or so I gave up on surface cleaning and put them in the wash. No problem. One has a fleecy coat, like a Jellycat and it washes very well. Comes out just like new. The other bear is a Gund and has a rougher, furry coat. It has matted a bit, but is so loved-in that it doesn't matter.

A pillow case is always a good idea, though I usually go without in the dryer. Just make sure they dry fully so it doesn't get mildewy inside.

Stephanie

nitaghei
12-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Don't know about the Jellycat (that is the only cow toy DS has never been interested in so it's still pristine). FWIW, I've tossed a lot of stuffed toys that say "spot clean only" into the washer and dryer and they've been fine. On hot, no less. Mostly the dog's toys - I buy her infant stuffed toys - but also some Disney and Gund plush. YMMV.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

tjham
12-15-2005, 05:18 PM
I use a zippered mesh lingerie bag for stuffed baby toys and even larger ones that say spot clean only. I even washed a Tickle Me Elmo (after taking the battery case out, of course!) I figure if it can't hold up to washing, I don't need it! Usually after the spin cycle, they are almost dry anyway so I just prop them up on something to finish air drying. I don't like to use the dryer.

kboyle
12-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I've always washed (on hot) and dried any stuffed animal that ends up i our house. nothing has been damaged or melted eyes.