PDA

View Full Version : Can you give me some good gift ideas for my 2 year old DD?

jerseygirl07067
12-15-2005, 05:34 PM
The indecisive shopper in me needs help.

I don't want to get her too much, since the grandparents are probably taking care of that :)

My mom is getting her a mini child piano, since she in convinced Sammy has inherited her musical talent...

I was thinking of a tricycle, or one of those little play kitchens. We are somewhat limited on space, so I don't want the house taken over. She's already got so many toys it seems, so I would like to keep it simple. Maybe those giant sized Legos might be fun too. I tend to like the toys where she "does something", instead of the toy doing everything, if you KWIM. I'm so sick of the battery operated, loud, obnoxious toys.

Any suggestions?

TIA!
Marcy

tiapam
12-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Well, it's not exactly quiet, but more than one person has told me their child learned the alphabet from the Leapfrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Letter Set:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000096QNK/qid=1134687866/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-7708006-4542543?v=glance&s=imaginarium&n=507846

I think 2 would be a good age for it.

Maybe a doll and stroller, if she does not have them already?

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

mommyoftwo
12-15-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm with you on the interactive toys. I also have a DD who is 2. Here is what she loves.

Play kitchen she got for her birthday- the only problem with this is that it takes up room

Giant Megablocks-likes them better than the lego version because they are easier for her to manipulate

Wooden Peg puzzles-spends hours playing with these; nice because they don't take up much room and she can do them herself

small table and chairs-also takes up room but we use it for everything (art projects, snacks, pretend teas etc)

Wooden building blocks-classic for a reason; she loves building towers and knocking them down

toy cell phone-a little obnoxious because it makes noise but she loves to carry on pretend conversations

"egg" chair from IKEA-don't know what it's actually called but it's shaped like an egg and sits low to the ground. It's red with an orange canopy that comes down over the front and it turns around in circles

small rhythm instruments-also makes noise but encourages musicality and creativity-check out www.expressivetoys.com

costumes for dress up-I bought some halloween costumes on clearance and she loves pretending to be a bee, giraffe etc.

balls-she loves playing with balls of all kinds but her favorite is a rubber ball with little "nubs" on it

Purse-she loves to be "grown up" and carry her own purse when we go out

Small CD player/stereo-we love to put on music and dance together

I'm sure I could think of more, but that's what I came up with off the top of my head. HTH!

Jessica

lisams
12-15-2005, 06:28 PM
I think that's a perfect age for a tricylce. She probably won't pedal for a while (DD is 3 and still rides hers Flinstone-style, lol!) but she really likes riding it.

Another big hit at that age was a dolly stroller/dolly combo. Huge hit at playgroup when we host!

Have fun shopping :-)

brittone2
12-15-2005, 06:51 PM
I think a kitchen or trike would be perfect. DS is 22 months and has been loving his play kitchen for a while now, and he's getting a Kiddio Supertrike 4 for his 2nd bday in February.

I think the PPs mention of a basket of instruments could be a really great idea especially if your family has musical inclination! That is something that should last and have good play value for a number of years. DS is probably getting a Remo drum for his 2nd bday. Another idea would be a dollhouse (treehouse style or a more traditional one).

DS's big holiday gift is a train table and some Thomas sets.

With some of his Christmas money (many of our relatives will likely give cash) we may buy him some extra unit blocks (from maplelandmark or barclay blocks). He's getting quite interested in building with blocks as of late.

sdbc
12-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Regarding the kitchen idea: we don't have a lot of space, but getting the kitchen was the BEST thing we did to limit clutter. We have it in our living room, and we use it for toy storage as well as as a kitchen. Our house is so much less cluttered, even though the kitchen itself does take up space.

ETA: we have the Costco Kidkraft kitchen. To use as storage, it has to have fairly large compartments.

entttc
12-15-2005, 09:16 PM
Please tell me the brand and source of the toddler-proof CD player! We've looked everywhere.

Oregonmother
12-15-2005, 11:11 PM
magnadoodle
wood blocks
playdough set w/cookie cutters etc.
M&D wood fruit/vegetable cutting set
M&D puzzle with fish and magnetic fishing pole

ctmom
12-16-2005, 06:46 AM
does she have baby doll stuff? We just got my dd for her 2nd b-day the baby doll furniture from Costco. The best thing about the crib is the storage underneath. There has been a few posts lately about it. The tricycle idea is also good if you can ride it now. Where we are it is going to be a few months before we are playing outside again so I think that will be her Easter gift! We already have a kitchen because we also have a 4yo...

jerseygirl07067
12-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas! A tricycle actually works for us all year round since we live in FL!

Now onto shopping!

Marcy

klc92201
12-16-2005, 09:02 PM
I sencond the baby dolls. Fisher Price makes a little Mommie brand which is way to cute. My niece doesn't have room for a kitchen so we got her the little grocery shopping cart. Comes with food, the basket comes off so she can carry it around and the seat that the baby sits in comes off for a baby doll booster for the table. It doesn't come with the baby but we got her the twin ones since my sister and I are twins. Very cute.

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/img/product_shots/c0442_b_1.jpg

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/img/product_shots/g8694_b_1.jpg

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/img/product_shots/47269_b_1.jpg

Heather

mommyoftwo
12-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. My computer was on the fritz and I had to buy a new keyboard. Ours isn't really toddler proof. We just have it on her dresser so she can't really reach it. It used to be on her bookshelf though and she messed with it all the time. It's held up really well. We got it at Walmart but I don't remember the brand. I'll look at it tommorow if you want. I have seen kids stereos in the toy section though at Walmart. I was going to look at them today for you, but ran out of time. HTH!

Jessica

calv
01-03-2006, 04:12 PM
BUMP since my DD will be 2 and i'm looking forward to hear what were big hits over the holidays.

jerseygirl07067
01-03-2006, 05:22 PM
We wound up buying her the tricycle. She loves it, but it's a tad too high, so we have to push her for now. I probably should've gotten one of those big wheel type things for now, but the trike is cool. It'a the Radio Flyer brand with the retro styling.

Actually the inlaws got her a baby doll and she loves it. It's just a basic one but it came with its own "baby gear" such as clothes, blanket, diaper, bottle, etc. For now Sammy is playing the her doll and really has taken to it.

My mom got Sammy a Schoenhut piano and she really likes it too. She gets mad when I play on it! It has the keyboard of 1 1/2 octaves. Though, I think I'm liking it more than she does! In my New Year's Eve boredom I actually figured out how to play Auld Lang Syne.

Nothing like going from drunken New Years kisses at midnight to banging out tunes on your kid's piano..:P

Marcy

jerseygirl07067
We wound up buying her the tricycle. She loves it, but it's a tad too high, so we have to push her for now. I probably should've gotten one of those big wheel type things for now, but the trike is cool. It'a the Radio Flyer brand with the retro styling.

Actually the inlaws got her a baby doll and she loves it. It's just a basic one but it came with its own "baby gear" such as clothes, blanket, diaper, bottle, etc. For now Sammy is playing the her doll and really has taken to it.

My mom got Sammy a Schoenhut piano and she really likes it too. She gets mad when I play on it! It has the keyboard of 1 1/2 octaves. Though, I think I'm liking it more than she does! In my New Year's Eve boredom I actually figured out how to play Auld Lang Syne.

Nothing like going from drunken New Years kisses at midnight to banging out tunes on your kid's piano..:P

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy