PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I put it in the washer to clean it?

Jenn98
12-20-2005, 03:25 PM
DD has a few plush toys that need to be disinfected (battling thrush still) and I want to run them through the washer. But they all say "Do not immerse in water." Why? If I can't put them in the washer, how am I supposed to clean them?

TIA
jenn

sdbc
12-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Maybe after washing, they don't get completely dry quickly enough, and mold grows inside of them. (??)

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

dules
12-20-2005, 03:32 PM
You can surface wash them. Use mild soap and a washcloth, and warm water.

If this isn't sufficient and you'd be tossing them otherwise, try washing them separately, on delicate, in the washer. Put them in pillowcases, and either lay flat to dry or try the dryer on low and check frequently. Always check eyes, buttons, limb joints, etc. to make sure nothing has come loose.

I'll admit to having washed my DD's favorite plush toys quite a bit, and using the method above none have been irreparably damaged (although the nap on the fur of some is a little worn now).

Hope this helps.

Best,
Mary

californiagirl
12-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Do they make noises? If they have electronic bits, they really can't be immersed. If they're just plain old stuffed toys, the manufacturer hasn't tested washing them. I would wash them in the washing machine (possibly in a bag) and dry them in the dryer on low. We have so far had no fatalities.

MarisaSF
12-21-2005, 05:03 PM
I always assumed the labels say "do not wash" because the fur might change. Since I don't care about them looking worn, I throw them in the washer and dryer. IMO, any stuffed animal that can't survive a spin through the washer and dryer is not one worth keeping for a young child.

lisams
12-21-2005, 05:06 PM
My toughts too. I've washed so many stuffed toys in the washing machine that I don't even look at the tags anymore - if it can't make it through the wash then it's something I don't mind parting with!

mudder17
12-21-2005, 05:10 PM
ITA! Kaya's lambie, which also says surface clean only, has been through the washer, dryer, and sunning many many times and it's still surviving. I'm just lucky she didn't form an attachment to something with electronics inside! I do wash the lamb inside a mesh laundry bag, and I think that helps a bit. I didn't do that today with the lambie (she threw up on it, poor thing) because we're on vacation and I didn't think to bring a laundry bag. But it still did fine in a top loading Whirlpool Calypso (with Catalyst) on gentle. Like Marisa, I suspect it's just that the fur might change, which Kaya definitely doesn't care about. She definitely prefers her worn looking lambie to the two "identical" ones that still have very soft, plushy fur that have only been through the wash a couple times.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

n2ou
12-21-2005, 06:28 PM
If you are worried about dust mites:

* To remove dust mites put the stuffed animal in a
plastic bag and then place in the freezer overnight, or
outside if the temperature is below freezing. The next
day use the vacuum cleaner to go over the animal.

HTH,

Simone

MarisaSF
12-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Hope Kaya's feeling better, Eileen. What a crummy way to spend a vacay. :(

We have two "clones" of Jazzy's lovey (a doggie) too. The original is named "Nonie." The clones are referred to as "Clonie." :) I think we've done an okay job with rotating them so she can't tell the difference. Hoping your lamb clones (Dolly?) catch up with Lambie soon!

mudder17
12-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Nope it's too late! I tried substituting the lamb clone at about 1 year and she picked it up to give it a hug (and this was back when Lambie and the clones looked a lot more alike!) and pulled it back, dropped it and said, "No," and continued crawling (she was not walking at the time). I tossed her the second clone and same thing. I tossed her Lambie and it was like "Ummm....." And this was maybe 2 weeks after I noticed her attachment to Lambie. Oh well, I definitely have to hope we never lose Lambie! I know DH lost his Siamese kitty when he was young (they were traveling in Europe at the time) and he was pretty unhappy for a while even though they got him a different Siamese Kitty. He never did fall quite in love with the second kitty, although he did keep it for a long time. In fact, it spends its time in Kaya's crib these days. :)

But I love the names you gave your doggie. Kaya never did give Lambie a name (and neither did we), so it's basically original Lambie and fake Lambies. :)

Oh, and Kaya kept on throwing up until around 4:30 or 5:00 this afternoon. :( The last time, though, was when we took her out for a bit of fresh air after she hadn't thrown up for 2.5 hours (plus had a nice nap). So I think the chill shocked her body and it triggered another two episodes. :( :( Anyway, after 30 minutes she was totally begging for a banana and we figured at that point, she was either going to be totally unhappy because she was starving or she was going to eat the banana and be happy, but then throw up again, or feel better because it was absorbing some of her stomach acid. Anyway, we did finally give in and she ate the banana (half of it anyway) and then we wheeled her around the house slowly for about 40 minutes, after which I nursed her and we put her to bed. So far so good....

I want her to feel better soon because we want Greatgrandma to be able to see her again. It's so cute to hear Kaya say, "Gwamma kiss." In fact, two nights ago, we were over there in the evening and when we got ready to leave, Kaya said, "Gwamma kiss," and she went over to her for a kiss and hug. Then she went over to DH and said, "Daddy kiss," and went to get a kiss from DH. Then she went to me and said, "Mommy kiss," and got a kiss and hug from me. Then she went back to grandma and repeated, went to DH and repeated, and then when I said, "Mommy kiss?" she said, "No." :D And then she laughed. It was pretty funny.

Oh, and grandma called today just to tell DH's uncle that yesterday, when I was bouncing Kaya on my foot and counted 1-10 the first time, but then just bounced her the second time (later on) and said, "1, 2, 3" and then stopped, apparently Kaya said, "4, 5, 6..." Grandma said, "She said 4, 5, 6 and her mom didn't hear it, but I heard it!" I have no idea if it's true, but it's pretty cute that Grandma called today just to tell us that. :)

Okay, I think I'm off to bed--I've had a loooooong day, especially with Kaya being sick and me having sinus pain all day. But apparently DH's Christmas present (which was originally supposed to be a surprise, but I accidentally found out about it and then got recs for it, hee, hee) of the Nikon D70 is arriving tomorrow morning! Whee! That should be fun. :D

Night, night, Marisa and thanks for your good wishes!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

tribecamom
12-25-2005, 08:46 AM
substitute, exclaimed (at 16 months mind you) "another one lambie" and the poor number two has been known as ANOTHER ONE ever since

tjham
02-13-2006, 01:53 AM
I agree that if they can't be washed, who would want them for a baby or toddler! I have washed all kinds of stuffed toys, always in a mesh bag. I've even washed a Tickle Me Elmo and lots of other electronic toys. All you have to do is take the box out and put it back later. Most come out easily. Some are held in by a few stitches but that's easy to snip.