PDA

View Full Version : If you prefer wooden, non-electric, non-noise making, creative toys...

mom to little e
12-22-2005, 03:11 PM
...and received a gift card to TRU, what would you buy for a 2yr old boy?

Maybe I just haven't spent enough time at TRU but it seems full of the types of toys that I don't prefer. Any suggestions?

Maryann

Ean 11/06/03
& Ean's Baby Sister due to arrive via c-section 01/04/06 - 13 days!

knaidel
12-22-2005, 03:18 PM
This is assuming that you don't want to use the card to buy stuff for the new baby, right?
let's see... I don't really go there too often, but:

Melissa and Doug toys
Books
maybe some arts and crafts stuff- crayons, etc

Also, you can now use the TRU cards at tru/bru online. they have a big selection of M&D there.

jillmk
12-22-2005, 03:19 PM
You could buy wood puzzles, Thomas stuff, books, markers/crayons, play-doh, a board game, an art kit, doodle-pro.... Good luck, I hope that you find something that you like!

Jill & DD (9/03)

Momof3Labs
12-22-2005, 03:34 PM
When that happens, I don't hesitate to "buy" the gift card from DS. The money either goes in his savings account or towards something he would like. But TRU does have a great selection of wooden Thomas and all kinds of puzzles including floor puzzles. And they have books (not a huge selection), Crayola supplies (washable markers, Color Wonder, etc.) and some plastic animal sets that DS loves.

Raidra
12-22-2005, 03:59 PM
TRU has dress-ups that I really like. Colwyn has a few sets.. the cowboy is my favorite. :)

You could also use the card to buy diapers or something, and buy him a toy somewhere else.

mom to little e
12-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Ah ha! Good idea about the dress-up. Ean is really starting to pretend and that would be fun for him.

We've got TONS of Thomas and a pretty good selection of art supplies so I think we might go this route.

Maryann

Ean 11/06/03
& Ean's Baby Sister due to arrive via c-section 01/04/06!

kelly ann
12-22-2005, 04:29 PM
How about Lincoln Logs or Tinker Toys?

You could always get some clothes at a TRU that has a Kids R Us inside of it.

deannanb
12-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Clothes....

Musical instruments

MarisaSF
12-22-2005, 07:42 PM
I posted a similar question several months ago. I was asking for a 1-yr-old, but some suggestions are here: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=31070&mesg_id=31070&listing_type=search

Everyone was right: there was a HUGE wooden toy section. Puzzles, musical instruments, etc. I was there when the "Wood 'n Things" puzzles were on a super sale so I got a ton of those instead of the M&D.

For a 2 yo, I'd get "crafty" things like markers, stickers, beads. Or play food, doll, floor puzzle, musical stuff.

elliput
12-22-2005, 08:19 PM
I think the wooden toy selection varies by store. The TRU closest to me has a very poor wooden toy selection compared to other stores in this metro area.

brittone2
12-23-2005, 12:45 AM
Great suggestions already, but if you can find them, I'd also consider something like an outdoor basketball hoop, a ride-on toy of some type, or sandbox toys...things that you might not necessarily want to be wood, kwim?

They also have trikes. I don't know if they still carry the Kiddio Supertrike 2 in stores but they used to. They do have it online I believe. We ordered the Kiddio Supertrike 4 from TRU online. It wouldn't cover the entire cost but it would take a big chunk out of it. I think they also sell table and chair sets. Again, it probably wouldn't pay for all of it but it might take a nice chunk out of it.

Puppets? I think they have some of those?

jse107
12-23-2005, 11:04 AM
What about some early board games? Maybe not for now, but you can always have them ready for later. What about foam mats for the floor?

corrie23
12-23-2005, 02:06 PM
I just had the same situation...they carry a number of musical instrument sets by either Melissa & Doug or First Act if that appeals to you, as well as M&D food sets and the "Imaginarium" wood cooking sets (like Kidcraft's blender, toaster, etc. sets). We have tons of the above already so we bought a set of 60 natural wood (unfinished) unit blocks. They were $39.99, and some Crayola bathtub crayons for $4.99.

Another thought if the selection at your store is limited is to order online through toysrus.com where you might find a wider selection.

HTH

CiderLogan
12-23-2005, 02:07 PM
These are all good suggestions. Has anyone mentioned Legos? The M&D section at my local TRU is surprisingly big. You could also just stock up on baby stuff or buy a gift for another child.

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another one due 5/29/06!

essnce629
12-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Yes, I don't think I'd have a hard time spending a gift card there. Definately check out all the Thomas stuff, art supplies, dress-up clothes, Melissa & Doug toys, board games, wooden peg puzzles, books, and floor puzzles (a big hit in our house!)

***Latia
Conner, my homebirthed water baby, 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

smiliedds
12-23-2005, 04:45 PM
I've got the Aquadoodle, Doodle pro, Little Tikes picnic table and Legos from TRU. They are not wood toys but still creative. HTH

Rebecca

bluestar2
12-24-2005, 02:02 AM
My 2 year olds love the lego duplos, M and D magentic puzzle books and cutting food, playdoh, crayons, paint and other art supplies, unit blocks, a plastic ride on toy, harmonica and other musical instruments, books, and puzzles, which are probably available at Toys R Us though I haven't set foot in one in a year or so.