PDA

View Full Version : Is a 5 point harness neccessary in a high chair?

daisysue62
12-23-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm researching highchairs and really like the Eddie Bauer wooden highchair because it has a smaller footprint and isn't plastic. The only thing I'm not sure about is that it doesn't have a 5 point harness, just the harness that goes around the waist and between the legs. The saleswoman at BRU was less then helpful by saying she never buckles her child in his highchair because he doesn't like it. I'll be buckling my dd in whether she likes it or not :) My mom brought up a good point that with the extra straps and whatnot it's more to clean, but safety is also important. What do you guys think? Is a 5 point harness a big deal in a highchair or will my dd be fine with just the 3 point?

Beth568
12-23-2005, 04:39 PM
I think it depends on the child. My first DD was, let's say, an adventurer. ;) She was climbing out of her crib by 18 months, and one morning I left her sitting in her high chair, with the 5 point harness fastened. The chair was close to our kitchen island. I left the room to go to the bathroom, and when I came back I found that she had squirmed out of the 5 pt harness and was sitting ON TOP OF the island!

So, after that, I always made sure it was fastened, and fastened tight, and I didn't leave her unsupervised even then. My younger DD isn't like that, though, and I'd be more comfortable with just a 3 point for her. She doesn't really try to get out or lean over the sides, and I'd feel safe enough if she were just buckled around her waist. I still won't be leaving the room, though.

smiliedds
12-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Like PP, I think it really depends on the child. I use the Stokke highchair with baby bar only. My DS has occassionally attempted to stand up and climb out of it. But he is always supervised and he listens when we ask him to sit down. HTH

Rebecca

icunurse
12-23-2005, 05:09 PM
We haven't had a highchair with a 5 point harness and even though DS is a wiggler and climber, it hasn't been an issue.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

mariza
12-23-2005, 10:16 PM
I love the way this chair looks, it goes well with my kitchen decor, but I would never buy it again.
It doesn't recline at all, which did not seem important to me before DD was born, but as soon as she figured out how to hold her own bottle, she had to always do it herself. Without a recline she hit her her on the back of the chair trying to tip her head back to drink. Also, the harness is completely useless. If you don't have a real baby to practice on, try putting a doll into it at BRU. The center strap is wayyyyy to long and the 3 point only goes across the thighs (I called the manufacturer and they told me this was how it is designed). I don't bother using it anymore because DD has figured out how to Houdini herself out of it. I wish I had a 5-point harness, or a least a tray that moved close enough to her body that she couldn't wiggle around to stand up. If I could do it over I'd get the Zooper Peas and Carrots chair, instead I'm getting the new Fisher Price booster which looks good for half the price and it's less bulky too.
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2001&e=detail&site=us&pid=35236&selcat=bgh
HTH!

holliam
12-23-2005, 10:22 PM
We have loved this highchair, but it depends on your child I guess. We had no need for a recline since I didn't want to have her eat laying down, and even when she held her bottles, we preferred to hold her in our arms to drink them.

The harness has not been an issue for us, and we have a monkey. But, our monkey also loves eating and knows we will take her out of her chair whenever she requests. So, even though she tries to monkey out of restaurant highchairs, she has never made an attempt on this one.

We'd definitely buy it again!

Holli

bluestar2
12-24-2005, 01:52 AM
We have a 5 point harness and it is very useful for us. DD will declare she is done and stand up on the seat in an instant. If I am washing dishes or whatever, I have to drop everything I'm doing ASAP and let her out. I cannot leave the room at all if it is not fastened. I think it depends on the child. DD will sit down if I tell her but she is testing every limit right now, so I have to watch pretty carefully. I'm sure she can probably wiggle out of the harness if she was left alone long enough so it's not fool proof and it is a bit messier since food always gets on the harness.

wendmatt
12-24-2005, 08:18 AM
My friends DS had a 3 pt and leaned over and fell out. DD had a 5 pt and didn't really try to get out, so it depends on your child, but a 5 pt is def safer.

JennyG999
12-27-2005, 10:18 PM
DD is 9 months and already figured out how to climb out of the high chair...I NEED that 5 pt harness! :)

julieakc
12-29-2005, 01:14 AM
Unlike the other posters I am more like the saleslady....I never harness DS in anymore. However, I totally agree what others have said about it depending on the child. When I first started using the highchair I did strap him in (with my chair's 5 point harness), but before too long it became apparent that he never made any attempts to get out, plus the horn thingy between the legs is really high and the tray is extremely secure and close to the body so it would be virtually impossible for him to get out, so I stopped using the harness. Even now after removing the tray he will wait pretty patiently until I come and pick him up and take him out of the chair, so I think it's just his temperment, ironically though he is extremely wiggly and impatient in other situations.

I think a 5 point harness is probably a good feature to have since you never know how your child is going to be in a given chair until you try it.