PDA

View Full Version : Bathtub Help

Lynette7279
12-26-2005, 01:16 PM
What bathtubs do you recommend? I registered for the one with the spray nozzle, but it got horrible reviews. The Eurobath got the best reviews, but online it just looks like a big white tub with no amenities. Which ones do you like??

DebbieJ
12-26-2005, 02:18 PM
The Eurotub is awesome. One side has an incline so you can prop your baby up. The other side has a "stump" (for lack of a better word) to keep your older baby/toddler from falling and sliding all over while sitting up.

There is a drain hole and two ledges for your washcloth, shampoo, etc.

We love it and used it until ds was about 18 months old.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-26-2005, 02:30 PM
I must reccomend the eurobath. We went through about 4 bath tubs that were too small for avi before we got this. It has a nice place to rest baby when they are younger. We never used this side since avi was already about 11 months when we bought it. Avi now sits on the other side. It is great because it is big enough to use to give a large 14 month old a bath in but it does not need to have soo much water in it like a regular bath tub would. I also like that you can put it up on the counter top and you do not have to sit on the floor to give a bath, really helpful since i have major back problems.

JMO

Ilana

Lynette7279
12-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Is it comfortable? It doesn't seem like it would be because it's just a big plastic tub. No padding or cushioning or anything. Can a newborn go right into it and sit comfortably? Do I need a sling or a pillow for propping up?
Thanks for your help!

DebbieJ
12-26-2005, 03:22 PM
When ds was smaller, we used to put a towel under him, but after a while it wasn't necessary.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

nfowife
12-26-2005, 04:01 PM
We used the sure comfort newborn-to-toddler tub. It has a "sling" type of attachment for itty bitty babies, then a recline for infants and a sitting up thing on the other side. It was very useful especially in the beginning! DD is now 8 months old and she just sits in the regular tub. I think I would use the Eurobath if I had one, but since she does alright in the regular tub at this point it's not worth it for me to get it. The sure comfort one still fits her, but it's on the small side once they can sit up imo.

hillview
12-26-2005, 04:55 PM
We have the euro bath and love it ... but it is HUGE ... it stays in our 2nd bath which we don't use other then for DS. It could also fit under a bed etc. I love it b/c it keeps my hands mostly free to wash him.
/hillary

phirey
12-26-2005, 06:26 PM
We got the Eurotub for DD#2 and I'm the lone dissenter here. I'm just not feelin' the love. It is so big I need a stool to reach into it when used on our kitchen counter (I'm 5'4"). The drain leaks. And DD#1 was able to sit up in the kitchen sink and splash around starting at maybe 8-9 months, so I know I plan on doing it that way in a few months.

Because of the drain plug issue, I'm thinking of returning it to BRU, if they'll let me.

We had a borrowed baby tub for DD#1. It was a slightly smaller, more manageable size, white, with a blue foamy non-slip reclining back. I think it also had a sling thing but we never used it. We never had a problem.

FWIW, my MIL gives the best baby baths with no tub at all. She learned how in the hospital's class in 1966 when SIL was born. She does it in the kitchen sink and I've been thinking about learning how. DD loves Nanny's baths and the whole thing seems less traumatic for her (she SCREAMS through her eurotub baths).

SuenosDelMar
12-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Sorry, but I had to chuckle at your term "amenities" as I never thought about tubs that way.

DD is almost 2.5 years old and we have been using the Eurobath since she was 2 weeks old. It is designed to be used with newborns and toddlers as PP said - really a very well-designed tub. DD looked perfectly comfortable when she was a newborn although now it getting a bit cramped! But she freaks at the thought of bathing in the big tub and so do we at the thought of what our water bill will be!

The drawback about the Euro is that it is huge. We have a very large jacuzzi tub so we use/store it in that.

kimbe
12-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Just wanted to chime in and add another vote for the Eurobath! I don't know what we would do without it. I think that I would grab that thing if my house was on fire! :)

JTsMom
12-27-2005, 12:42 PM
I have the euro and think it was the biggest waste of $25 ever. When DS was a newborn, it didn't work b/c he slid all over the place- even with a towel. I tried using it in the tub so I wouldn't have to lift it- big pain. Tried using it on the floor- better, but then had to lift that big heavy tub of water to dump it. I don't see the appeal of the thing. DS screamed through every bath in it.

Instead I started using the big tub and getting in with him. It gave me 2 hands to use b/c I could lay him on my legs, and he LOVED being in all that water. It was the only thing that would make him happy during his colicky period, so I would bathe him like that at least once every night- sometimes twice.

If anyone wants my big blue eurotub, let me know- it's all yours!

julieakc
12-29-2005, 01:25 AM
Put me down as another vote for the Eurobath. It is one of my favorite baby products!

As pp have mentioned it can be used from newborn to toddler. We used it on the bathroom counter for the first few months, until DS started splashing more and then we started putting it in the tub.

My DS was a very small baby who had/has muscle tone issues and yet he appeared comfortable in the Eurobath as an infant. For the first few months I did use a foam insert to provide some extra padding, but I don't think it was truly needed. And as others have mentioned the design really does free up your hands so you can do the task of washing the baby.

DS is still using this tub and he loves bathtime. He still seems very comfortable, and since he's still on the small side I think I've still got another 6 months or so of use in it.

It is large, but I stand it on end in the corner of DS's room between his dresser and the wall (sort of wedged in to keep it from falling) and this works well without taking up too much space.

I haven't noticed any problems with the drain leaking, but I've also never used the drain plug. I just tilt it up and dump it out.

mominma
12-29-2005, 10:54 AM
We got the Eurobath tub when DS was about 6 mos. We have successfully used it with the next 2 kids. In the very beginning, I used the sling back item in the kitchen sink and started using the Eurobath around 3 mos. I put the Eurobath tub right inside the tub that way you can just tilt it up to drain the water.

My 4 month old seems very content in this tub!

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03
It's a GIRL 8/30/05

daniele_ut
12-29-2005, 11:15 AM
We used the Sure Comfort Deluxe tub mentioned above with the sling when DS was a newborn. We used it until he could sit up and then he just got to squirmy so we got a nice padded bathmat and started bathing him in the bathtub. He has LOVED baths ever since. The Eurobath was just too huge and we were given the Sure Comfort tub as a gift, so we used it and liked it!

Emmas Mom
12-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Another vote for the Eurobath. Though I will agree that it's slippery & makes me nervous with a little infant. What I ended up doing is getting the Safer Bather to use with it. It worked out wonderfully & we used it that way until DD was almost a year old. Totally kept her from sliding around. Then we switched her to one of the inflatable tubs until she was about 18 months...from then on it was just the regular tub. Here's a picture of the Safer Bather:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005JIVI/qid%3D1135876861/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-2127718-3236954

BaileyBea
12-29-2005, 05:21 PM
We love our Eurobath and yes it's true that it can be slippery on the newborn side of the tub. BUT... we bought a foam bathtub bear at BRU and put it over the slanted side of the tub and this prevented DS from sliding around. It worked very well for us and we used it since he was days old.

Today we still use both sides of the tub. We let him lean back while we clean him and then put him on the other side for him to play catch the rubber ducky. It is very big but fits under the crib. So storage for us hasn't been a problem.

For travel we bought a blowup tub at BRU that worked out GREAT!

DS also likes the Seal Floating Water Temperature thing.

sophiesmom
12-29-2005, 07:03 PM
LOVE my Eurobath. Used it with both babies, and plan on using it with #3. I remember using it with DS for his first bath, at about 2 weeks and it was fine. I can have both hands free which is great.
I used a regular baby bathtub at my mother in law's one weekend (he was a bit bigger) and hated using it..
Good luck!

supercalifragilous
12-30-2005, 02:19 AM
Another vote for the Eurobath here. It was the 3rd tub we tried and by far the best. Mind you we didn't start using it until DD was about 6 months old but it did last until she was 2 years old. DD went straight from the Eurobath to taking showers. DD never did care for spray nozzles as an infant - I think it splashed too much water and overstimulated her. The closest thing to spray that she liked was the peri bottle. You could also take an empty ketchup/mustard squirt bottle and gently squirt your baby with that too. It comes in really handy for rinsing baby's hair.

Jase
12-30-2005, 11:32 AM
I got Eurobath as a gift and contemplated returning it for a smaller tub. I decided to keep it due to laziness but don't regret it at all. DS loves baths and seems very comfortable in it. I bought a foam insert for when he was tiny so he wouldn't slide around. It allows both hands to be free and it will grow with him. The only thing is...it's huge! His bathroom is pretty small but since it's all his, we just keep it in the tub and draw the shower curtain.

KHF
01-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Count me in the "not a fan" group... I ordered the Eurobath on recommendations that I got from the board, but I'm not feeling the love for it. My daughter hates the infant side of the Eurobath and has a blast when we put her on her Safer Bather in the big tub. She's becoming too big for the Safer Bather though, so I have one of the inflatable Duck Tubs to try for her.

If anyone is in the northern KY/Cincinnati area and is interested in a mint green Eurobath, please let me know :-)

Kirsten
Mom to Laurel - born 8.22.2005

essnce629
01-07-2006, 04:23 AM
Another vote for the Eurotub! I LOVED ours! It's so deep that the baby can be completely submerged and not half out of the water and freezing cold like all the other smaller shallower tubs out there. We used ours over the kitchen sink.

***Latia
Conner, my homebirthed water baby, 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

Suzanica
01-10-2006, 07:53 PM
How "BIG" is the Eurobath? I live in a small home in NYC and I really dont have that much room for a huge tub. Does it really fit over a kitchen sink?
TIA

mudder17
01-10-2006, 10:56 PM
This was totally awesome. We used it until Kaya was 18 months and then switched to a plain old toddler tub that we got for $7 at Ikea. We actually got both the sure comfort and the Eurobath as gifts, but gave the Eurobath to our neighbors because we didn't need both and we wanted the sling option for when she was a newborn. As it turned out, it worked out fine because Kaya has been small, whereas her neighbor has been over 100% in both height and weight since day 5. :) (The Eurobath is bigger.)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

essnce629
01-11-2006, 04:29 AM
It's 3 feet long, but it has a hole on it for you to hang it on the wall or you can store it under the crib/bed.

***Latia
Conner, my homebirthed water baby, 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

smilequeen
01-11-2006, 09:03 AM
I love our Eurotub too! I used a towel in the sponge bath days, but after that he just went right in. DS has ALWAYS loved baths. I was lucky enough to have extra bathroom counter space when he was on the "newborn" side and then I put it right in the tub when he could sit up. He still uses it now.