PDA

View Full Version : Take along swing vs. regular?

Emmas Mom
12-27-2005, 08:07 PM
I've been planning to get the FP Aquarium swing for DD#2. But then I got to looking at the Aquarium take along one & am wondering if that would be sufficient? Anyone had them both or care to comment? They both say they are for up to 25lbs. We also have a bouncer but I did find a swing invaluable w/DD#1. I'm just wondering if the take along would be a better purchase.

willow33
12-27-2005, 08:54 PM
I bought the take-a-long swing and then returned it. The seat is very upright and IMO not really suitable for a newborn. We also have the FP Aquarium swing and love it! I think if you plan to use it when your dd is very little and use it often you would be better off with the big swing. HTH!

megs4413
12-27-2005, 11:59 PM
we only had a take along and like the PP suggested, it was not really suitable for a newborn. It was quite helpful, though after about 6 weeks. It was easy to take from room to room with one hand so I could have DD in one arm and the swing in the other. We had a rather large home at the time and I needed to be able to bring it along with me. Something to think about! I guess in a perfect world I would have had BOTH!

sidmand
12-28-2005, 09:17 AM
We do have both (one was a hand-me-down and one we purchased much later than we should have).

We had the Take-Along Swing first and DS HATED it at first (which is why we didn't buy the regular one right away--thought if he hated the little one, we didn't want to waste money on the big one).

He wasn't napping and we broke down and bought the regular Aquarium swing and it was a life saver! (DS is in there right now napping.)

But now he likes the other one to just hang out in. He's never fallen asleep in it though, so if that's what you're looking for, I can't help there.

When he was littler he would flail his arms a lot and hit the toys that dangled down and get upset not knowing why the toys kept moving. Now he likes grabbing for them, but that took a little while. I don't think we tried the Take-Along swing again until he was about 4 months old (he was probably around six weeks the first few times). Now I keep that in the bathroom to keep him busy while I shower and the big swing is in his room for naps (used to be in the living room for naps, but we're trying desperately to transition to the crib--so far we've just made it to his room!).

HTH.
Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

kboyle
12-28-2005, 03:11 PM
I have the full size from when DS1 was a babe and LOVED it. DS2 is a swing addict and we've been hauling the big one when they sleepover my moms or MILs house and it's a PITA. I was looking into getting a take-along, but now that he's already 4 mos it's really kind of pointless, although I know that he'll use it, he'll grow out of it soon.

I say GO FOR BOTH if you can. If not I'd go for the full size, it's more NB friendly.

twinkie
12-28-2005, 04:51 PM
We had the big one at our house and the take along at my mom's. DS definitely preferred the big one. He spent many many many hours sleeping in there. The side to side motion was key. Also, the recline. In fact, we never adjusted the swing to the more upright position. The take along was more of a place for him to hang out at my mom's, but he never napped in it. He loved looking all around at the lights and toys, and he definitely enjoyed the take along, but if you are only getting 1 I would say get the full sized one.

mominma
12-29-2005, 11:06 AM
We also have both, actually we have 3 right now. I bought my take along swing when baby #2 was 6 mos and we were travelling out of state. She definitely was not as comfortable in the take along swing. All my kids loved the full size swing. Right now, we are using a Graco full size swing in our basement and have the Aquarium Cradle Swing in our family room. This is probably my favorite swing due to all the features. My 4 month old starts looking up as soon as you put her in it.

She will also sit in the take along swing when we are getting older siblings ready for bed or giving them a bath, but it does not get nearly as much use as the full size swing.

As a side note, I do not think my kids really started liking any swings until about 2 months old!

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03
It's a GIRL 8/30/05

Emmas Mom
12-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks for all the input ladies. We ended up getting the full size one. I definitely like the cradle feature. :)