PDA

View Full Version : gifts/toys for space-constrained toddlers?

kali
12-28-2005, 03:23 AM
I need to get gifts for our two nephews, aged 1 and 3, who live in a 2-BR Manhattan apartment. Space is tight and the parents get pretty stressed about toys that take up a lot of space--who could blame them? Does anyone have any gift suggestions (toys or other)?

kedss
12-28-2005, 03:53 AM
for the one year old, maybe some nice cloth books with textures, or a good teething toy that can be played with?
here's a cool toy site:
http://www.oompa.com/cgi-bin/category/Baby_Toys_FIR

and they ahve great older kids toys too! We got our 2 year old a great drumset from Voila that I saw on their site, but we found it here in town.

You might consider giving something that they can play with outside, I'm assuming they go to a park or something? But blocks would be good for the three year old, just taking into consideration that the one year old will probably want to chew or drool on anything the 3 year old has..LOL :)

HtH!

tribecamom
12-28-2005, 06:48 AM
of space; for the one year old, some bath toys or a book or two on loops to attach to the stroller (NYC kids spend a lot of time strolling)

books always work

hope this works

o_mom
12-28-2005, 08:51 AM
For the 3 year old, look in the "travel toys" section of a good toy store. They will usually have some toys which fold up and have a carrying case. Something like magnetic playsets or felt kids. Also, you could make a travel car mat - a road scene blanket-type toy and add a few matchbox cars. These keep my son busy for hours.

trumansmom
12-28-2005, 09:18 AM
What about playsilks? I only have a couple, but both of my kids enjoy them.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

janeybwild
12-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Dress up clothes are a big hit in our house and don't take up much space

MarisaSF
12-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Gift certificates to activities -- playgym? zoo/museum?
Collapsible tunnel/tent?

muskiesusan
12-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Art supplies like paints, crayons, paper as well as playdough or Color Wonder stuff. I always appreciate consumables! Accessories to this stuff is nice, too.

Or, an Aquadoodle, which doesn't take up much space either.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

ismommy
12-28-2005, 11:56 AM
One of the best gifts we got was a bag of baking supplies - all sorts of sprinkles and decoartions and mixes. Consumables that don't tae up much space. You could add in aprons and chef hats or children's baking kit. My dd has one she loves and she has been learning measurements when we bake:)
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner

jodi_b
12-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I was also going to suggest playsilks. I ordered a set of 12 for my 1.5 year old nephew, 2.5 year old niece, and 5 year old niece for Christmas. My nieces loved twirling with them and using them for dress up. My nephew liked hiding under the playsilks and looking through them. My SIL liked that they didn't take up much space, didn't make noise, and didn't require batteries!

Jodi

bluestar2
12-29-2005, 02:20 AM
I got my 2 year olds a hamronica and it is a huge hit. It's very easy to play and makes music whether they blown in or out.