PDA

View Full Version : My Very Own House Cardboard Playhouse

boys2enough
01-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Does anybody have any experience with these cardboard houses? Or any other brand? I am intrigued by the idea and thought that this would provide an afternoon of fun for the boys. They do enjoy construsting tents/caves/houses in our family room with blankets and couch cushions. Most of the time though the play ended in at least one of them crying/screaming b/c of the building collapsed.

I would order one but the price is kind of high for a "paper" product: $40. Would love to hear any reviews. TIA!

http://www.myveryownhouse.com/playhouse/

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pcomputer.gif

trumansmom
01-04-2006, 02:03 AM
We had a cheaper version from Target. It was terrible. It kept falling over. It didn't last very long before we threw it away.

Maybe a pop up tent instead? IKEA has a really inexpensive one my DS is crazy about.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

neeter
01-04-2006, 05:47 AM
I saw some cardboard "cars" at Target - they were on clearance for about $10 maybe?

muskiesusan
01-04-2006, 06:07 AM
We also got one from Target (on clearance for like $6). It held up for a few days, but then it began falling down constantly. That didn't stop the kids from enjoying it, but I couldn't take it anymore and threw it out!

It was worth the price I paid for the amount of time spent playing in it. I think they might be clearancing some right now.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

ctmom
01-04-2006, 07:39 AM
we were at a party recently for a 5 yo and this was the "activity to keep the kids busy". All the kids used markers to color it in. It held up for the party and then my dd went over to the girl's house a few weeks later and they were playing in it, so it lasted more than one day for the family. It reminded me of my "Holly Hobbie House" when I was a child!

Momof3Labs
01-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Have you tried putting a blanket over a card table to make a tent? My mom actually made me a fabric "house" that went over a card table when I was little, but a big blanket could serve a similar purpose in a pinch!

Ceepa
01-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Count us in on the $6 Target brand one. DH and I saw it clearanced and figured it would make a good afternoon/ rainy day project at some point.

Haven't used it yet so can't comment on quality -- but that's not really why we bought it, KWIM?

Corie
01-04-2006, 02:50 PM
We also have the cheapy version from Target. I bought 10
of these cardboard houses last year after Christmas for around $2 each.

Our play house lasts alot longer than just a few days. Our
play house actually lasts for quite awhile. When my husband
was putting it together, he was using duct tape on the inside
corners and to hold the seams together. That house was
indestructible!! :)