PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed please!

wrafiehi
01-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Hello,
I need some help making some decisions because I am really torn. My DD's first birthday is coming up in March and I want to get her a big gift. I am in love with the PBK retro kitchen and was going to purchass it and keep it in boxes in her playroom until she is old enough to play with it. I was going to open the packages to chek everything and then store it. Then part of me says just get it and give it to her to start playing with when she is a year old.
I want to buy the ice box, the stove , the sink and the dishwasher and some other accessories. I have a 10% off coupon. On the other hand another part of me says wait until next year around Christmas time when she will be 21 months old and then buy it for her. But I am worried they might not have it next year.
Please tell me what you think? Should I get it now or wait until next christmas? Do you think they will have it next year? Will they also have the microwave, blender and the rest of the accessories to match it? I have found the accessories at my store and they are holding them for me but that they don't have very many. If I wait too long they might not have them anymore.
Sorry about the rumbling. Somebody please give me some inputs on what I should do.

Thank you,
Widad,
Mommy to Sophia 03/25/05

mudder17
01-05-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't have any experience with any of these items, but honestly if you have the storage room and you really like it that much, I would just go ahead and get them with the coupon.

I hope that helps.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

imharpersmom
01-08-2006, 10:23 AM
I just wanted to offer my opinion because I noticed you hadn't received many responses.
I would go ahead and buy it- especially since you have a coupon. My DD is 15 months old and she already loves her kitchen. She doesn't "pretend play" with it yet, but she LOVES the accessories and opening/closing the doors. We just bought her some wooden food and the KidKraft blender/toaster/mixer, and though she doesn't know what to do with them, she carries them around the house. She also knows to stir with the spoon, drink out of the cup, etc. I don't know about your DD, but ours was constantly getting into our kitchen cupboards, so I knew she was at least interested in opening doors and getting things out.
If you have the space and a coupon, I would go ahead! I would LOVE the PB set (we made a set for our DD).

Erin

Harper 9.22.04
Boy EDD 1.15.06

MaddiesMommy
01-08-2006, 10:55 AM
I would also go ahead and buy it. You might as well take advantage of the coupon. Also they might not have the same pieces come next Christmas. I think they are always changing/updating them. Sophia might not be ready for it just yet, but she'll definitely grow into it soon enough. I got my 22 month old daughter the kitchen from Costco along with some of the wooden appliances and Melissa and Doug food. She really likes it, but I'm sure she could have played with it at a younger age too. It's something that will hopefully be fun for her for at least a couple of years. Good luck in your decision. Let us know what you decide!

Janine

sdbc
01-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Rory got her kitchen at about 15 months and loved it and still does. She got a tea set for her first birthday and enjoyed it then, so I think a first birthday is fine for a kitchen, although she won't get the *full* benefit of it yet.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

KrystalS
01-08-2006, 01:54 PM
You should definitely buy it now. I was in my local PBK before Christmas and they said the kitchen will not be made anymore. Once the inventory is gone they won't have it anymore. They had it 25% off. If there is a PBK in your area it would be worth it to buy from them, especially if they have it discounted. I don't know if all the stores discounted it or not, but it definitely won't be back. I didn't think to ask if they would be making a different type of kitchen.

bluestar2
01-08-2006, 05:55 PM
I love that kitchen too, so I would say buy it. If you are in doubt, maybe you can hold off on the accessories until later since they are easier to find though they won't neceesarily be PBK. Personally I would break it open for her 1st birthday so she can get maximun use out of it. My DD liked opening doors at that age, taking things out and putting them back in, and your DD can use it to pull up and cruise if she isn't already walking by then.

mommy111
01-08-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm going to be the only voice of dissent here just to offer you a different perspective (and I'm saying this admitting that the retro kitchen is completely adorable and that if it were me I'd just go ahead and buy the kitchen):
I think that instead of making such a large investment on the kitchen, you should think about starting a college fund (or other such savings plan) for DD. It would be a very meaningful gift and your friends and the grandparents etc are likely to get DD so many toys for her birthday that you won't know what to do with them.
There, I've said it and I sound like DH ;)
Enjoy, whatever you do, after all DD's birthday is more for you than for her.
Ady

bluestar2
01-09-2006, 01:12 AM
deleted