PDA

View Full Version : Exersaucer: Not good for physical development? Something about their hips?

boys2enough
01-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Has anybody heard of Exersaucer not good for children’s physical development? Any latest research, news? Thanks.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pcomputer.gif

Neatfreak
01-05-2006, 03:56 PM
I do remember reading something about only allowing a baby to spend about 15 min a day in one somewhere. I wonder if it was because just hanging there doesn't develop muscles the same way pulling up to standing somewhere does?

Hopefully someone can find better info!

brittone2
01-05-2006, 04:48 PM
This is a touchy subject, I know, but if you do a search there are tons of old posts. I posted a bunch of links at one time to multiple research studies.

I worked as a pediatric physical therapist in early intervention before DS was born. One of my projects on an internship was to develop a pamphlet for parents explaining the negatives of saucer/walker/jumper use with their babies. The studies I posted are what I found from my research on the topic. In my time working as a PT, the vast majority of my colleagues had the same opinions.

I don't have a lot of time but the main issues with saucers are that they promote an abnormal posture where the back is quite swayed (known as lordosis in the medical literature), and the child tends to be pitched forward onto the toes or stand on tiptoes quite a bit. This can possibly lead to abnormal patterns of movement. The large tray blocks visual input...so the child can't see their legs and feet. This impacts proprioception/kinesthesia, which are the senses that tell us where we are in space. When a child stands in a saucer, the muscles are not actively engaged in the same way they are when the child pulls to stand or stands at a couch for example. The muscles used and how they fire is quite different. Kids that use walkers and saucers actually tend to sit, cruise and walk a bit later than their non-device using peers (there was an excellent twin study done on this many years ago with regard to walker use). The posture they use when in the saucer doesn't engage the abdominal muscles or gluteal (butt) muscles well at all, and strength in this "core" is what is really helpful in strength and stability needed to walk.

That said, if a child is a "typically developing" child without delays or tone issues, limiting use to no more than 20 mins per day is probably just fine. Just realize it doesn't *enhance* development as the manufacturers would love to lead parents to believe. It won't make your child stronger or help them walk sooner. Also be aware of how fast that time accumulates over the course of a day...20 mins while you get a shower and get dressed, 10 mins while you talk on the phone, 10 mins while you prep lunch, 20 mins while making dinner, etc. etc...it adds up much faster than most people realize.

We never had a saucer. I know many moms here used them just so they could shower or whatever and I understand that need :) We did ,fine with ds in the bouncy chair, PNP, or a blanket on the floor. Floor time, fwiw, is the best developmental "tool" out there.

kaitlinsmommy
01-05-2006, 11:41 PM
FWIW, ds loves the saucer & dd hated it. I obviously believe the research that it can hinder certain development, but thankfully haven't encountered it. DS was crawling everywhere & pulling up to stand by 7 months & he has definitely spent more than 20 min. in it some days. We don't use it every day, especially now that he wants to be on the move, but there are times I've got to get things done & dd has her chokable toys covering the living room floor.

hardysmom
01-07-2006, 08:49 AM
One of my daughters had a little bit of torticollis, which is a tightening of neck muscles which makes a baby's head kind of tilt to one side. Actualy, mild cases are VERY common. Usually, it is easily corrected and most parents don't even know their child has it. The Great Exercauser (and Johnnie Jump-Up) Debate is always going because a lot of these kids also have plagiocephaly and moms are looking for a baby-friendly way to reposition the older babies off their flat spots.

Anyway, our PT told us that toddlers with ANY physical problems/delays, however mild, shouldn't be in a saucer particularly the ones with jumping or bouncing features. They are too jarring on a compromised neck/back and don't contribute anything, despite all the marketing.

I'd never had an excersaucer my older DS, though he loved the jumper. We didn't have much space when he was little, so I guess I didn't know what I was missing.

A lot of my friends admitted that along with Baby Einstein videos, the Excersaucer was their life-line to getting anything done or having a moment of peace.

I wouldn't think they are harmful for most kids, just not beneficial. As someone else mentioned, it is just SO easy for 20 min to grow when you need a break and baby seems content.

Stephanie

mommato2boys
01-07-2006, 01:42 PM
I used one with DS#1 with no problems and used it again with DS#2, it was a nice change for them. they got a different look at the world rather than on their backs and on their belly. Both of my kids loved them!
I think that with everything, moderation. Don't put the baby in them all day, think short time and you are fine.

shannonG
01-07-2006, 02:13 PM
I read all of the research while pregnant with ds and vowed not to get one. I never even registered for one. Once ds grew out of his bouncy seat and swing I felt the need to find a place to prop him up to play with his toys...and the Excersaucer was the answer. The reviews that I've heard are mixed. Nathan turned out fine and honestly, he did sit in his for more than 15 minutes a day. That said, I was totally aware of the issue and made sure that the majority of his day was NOT in the saucer. It was just really nice when I needed to take a shower or do the dishes. I guess it's just a personal choice, but if you have one or are thinking of getting one I wouldn't be one to make you feel guilty.

Also, I think Nathan's fine motor skills developed greatly as a result of the different toys that he had easy access to in the saucer. Granted, he might have gained these skills by different means (tummy time, etc...which he hated), but it was nice to see it happen while I was getting the dishes done.

brittone2
01-07-2006, 08:57 PM
I just wanted to say that I hope it wasn't construed that I'm trying to make the OP guilty...maybe you were just speaking in generalities :)

The OP asked and I answered w/ the knowledge I have of the topic, which is shared by 90+ percent of the pediatric PTs I know. My intention wasn't to cause any guilt ;)

I'm sure you were just speaking in generalities but I just wanted to make sure no one thought I was trying to give her a guilt trip LOL. I know what it is like to need a shower too :)

Tondi G
01-08-2006, 07:11 PM
FWIW... we used an exersaucer with my first DS pretty early. he hated being on his back (on the floor, bouncy chair and swing) and only tollerated tummy time for short periods. The saucer was the ONLY way I could get a few minutes of peace! He pulled up early and took his first steps at 10 months and was off and walking within a couple of weeks. With #2 he was more tollerant of the bouncy chair and wasn't AS interrested in the saucer so he didn't spend as much time in there. He too is pulling to stand and crawling well now at 8 months. We are expecting an early walker again! I haven't seen any ill effects from use of the exersaucer.... but then again I am not a PT!!!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

jd11365
01-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Lin, you got somethin' to share??? Your boys are a bit big for an exersaucer...

clc053103
01-08-2006, 09:12 PM
My friend just brought her preemie home from the hospital. Before she left, they did a program on Preemie home care for the moms of preemies- they told her NEVER to use an exersaucer for a preemie. I believe it is for developmental reasons the PP gave.

Just wanted to share!

brittone2
01-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Well, just to clarify, the excellent twin study done many years ago showed that the walker-using twin (and most PTs would say this would apply to exersaucers used today as well) sat and walked on average 6 weeks later than the non-walker using twin. So that isn't to say some people who use saucers/walkers aren't going to have early walkers, but theoretically their child may have sat or walked earlier had they not used one.

The problem that comes into play is that if there are *any* developmental issues going on at all, the impact may be much greater. For those kids it can really make a difference.

Also I've walked into many a home when I was working to see a 4-5 month old slumped over sideways out of fatigue and mom is cooking in the kitchen indifferent to what is going on. Not a healthy situation for the child. That isn't to say that parents here do that, but I've seen it more times than I can count and this included parents who were well-educated, etc. They didn't necessarily recognize the signs of fatigue.

boys2enough
01-09-2006, 10:45 AM
>Lin, you got somethin' to share??? Your boys are a bit big
>for an exersaucer...
>

LOL. No news here. Am scared of having another child because these two boys are sucking the life force out of me. (But this is strickly MOnday morning-after-weekend talking. So no flaming please!) :)

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

boys2enough
01-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Thank you for everybody that pitched in with your opinions and thoughts. I guess I owe you all an explanation as to why I am asking this question since my kids are so obviously too old for a saucer. A co-worker of mine just had a baby and I was tasked to think of a group present for them. There are two other people in my office who suggested a saucer--I kind of agreed that it's a wonderful present since OURS saved my life when my kids were young. But I remembered negative reviews from the medical community and was wondering whether anything new has come up since I last followed these news. The first place I thought of was the BBB. :)

As of now, we will probably get something different for them that is not controversial.

Thank you again!!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

jd11365
01-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Just checkin'. ;)

No flames here, I've got my own little "sucker" right here!

randomkid
01-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Lin:

A little late chiming in here, but just wanted to say that I think you are making the right decision to go with a different gift. I am also a PT and swore that I would absolutely not use a walker, jumper or exersaucer for my DD for the same reasons posted by Beth. However, I did not anticipate that DD would be such an active baby who doesn't nap well. I finally broke down and bought an exersaucer from eBay (still haven't and won't use a jumper or walker). DH is also a PT, and only after he and I agreed that it would be ok in moderation, did I actually buy one. I only use it once a day, rarely twice and some days not at all. I have to put her in it on occasion to get a shower or eat lunch. She is safer in there than running around the house like a wild woman! LOL!

Here's the thing: I didn't get it for her until she was standing well on her own and I think she was even cruising already. I keep the seat low enough that she can stand with her feet flat and she doesn't really bounce in it, so no concern there. She is never in it longer than 15-20 minutes, plus she will only tolerate it that long before she is ready to be on the go again!

When you get a gift like that for someone, you just don't know how they will use it. I'm very diligent about avoiding it's use and still I have to monitor myself sometimes. Better to get something else and not feel responsible for someone leaving a child that is too young in an exersaucer for too long. Good decision!

BTW, I was going to e-mail you to say "Thanks" again for the Combi bag. I use it whenever I take DD to my parents for the day. I can pack her clothes, diapers and food in it - it's great!

smilla653
01-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I think you made the right decision. I was fearful that my sisters-in-law would get us one for Christmas, and relieved that they didn't. I'm trying to do without one, for the reasons people listed above.

o_mom
01-10-2006, 03:20 PM
ITA with giving someone one as a gift - ours was a gift, and rarely used, so I loaned it out to a friend who used it much more than I ever would. When I loaned it, I said this is good for 10-15 min a day so you can shower, but once they are sitting up well or walking you don't need it. I asked for it back when their DC was around 12 mos, since we "needed" it for DC2, and she actually went out and got a replacement! I was stunned - the DC was walking fairly well and clearly did not need it, but they were still using the heck out of the thing. They used it every morning while getting ready for work and every night while making dinner.

If I had known they would use it that way I would have never loaned it to them. Kind of like refusing to give a hard to use carseat to someone I know would not use it properly.

DC2 has still not used it even a fraction of the time that I would consider it worth the money. I have found the SuperYard to be a much better investment now that he is sitting well and cruising.