PDA

View Full Version : Little People...When is enough, enough?

mtrattner
01-06-2006, 03:53 PM
DD is 15 months. She is starting to get some Little People. She now has the house, barn, ark, Christmas village and a few add on pieces. I still seem to be obsessed with them. I am constantly looking for more and trying to decide what she needs next.

How many sets does your DC have? How long are these sets popular (to what age?)

I just don't know if I am out of control or not.

Thanks.
Melanie

JacksMommy
01-06-2006, 04:12 PM
My DS has the airport and the parking garage. I know what it is to be obsessed - I spent countless hours trolling EBay for just the right vintage stuff. Someone just gave us the farm, and DS has been playing with that a lot as well.

These sets will most likely get play until at least age 4 and possibly beyond. Obviously kids go through stages and it will depend on how into pretending your child is.

As to whether you are out of control, only you can determine that! These sets are big space hogs so I personally would not have chosen to buy the 3rd one at our house. It doesn't necessarily sound as though that is an issue for you. In your shoes, I'd take a good look at whether your DD is getting much use out of these now and, if not, slow down until you've determined that this is something that is working for her. Belive me, there will be plenty of things to obsess about down the road (art supplies and easels, trikes, play kitchens, and on and on).

Just my 2 cents.

HTH,

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

bchafin
01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
I am right there with you! Every time I say no more, they come out with something like the pirate ship and I get sucked right back in. Sorry, I don't have answers to your questions, but I share your pain.

Babywhite
01-06-2006, 10:12 PM
I am doing the exact same thing! I was sooooo excited when I found the Noah's Ark set for $10 at Walmart tonight. I grabbed the last one like it was $100 bill! :)

I hate to say it, but I really want the LP airport set. DH travels
a lot and I would like to use it with DD to explain about the planes, etc. Unfortunately, I can't find one anywhere! :)

R.W.

Babywhite
01-06-2006, 10:12 PM
duplicate response...Sorry! :)

s7714
01-07-2006, 12:46 AM
I'm ashamed to say my DD has far too many to list. A couple laundry baskets full of accessories alone and let's not get into the floor space all the buildings/larger items take up. I honestly think my interest in them stems from me loving the original LP I played with when I was a child so much. (I even still have my old ones in a box in the garage!)

I can happily say at least that my DD will play with each and every piece she has at various times. I just pretend that they're on a monthly rotating cycle of usage... ;)

Jennifer
Mommy to
DD 3/03
DD 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

Mabster
01-07-2006, 02:13 AM
I hear your pain. I just spent the better part of the day trolling TRU's, Target's, and Wal-Marts scrounging around for LP deals. I like a lot of them, probably b/c I was obsessed with my house as a kid.

DD currently has the house, and she got a tube of grandparents & a cat in her stocking. Last year I scored a Discovery Village on clearance that I stowed away for later in the year and forgot about, so I'll pull that out soon. Tonight I found the Ark and the Night at the Ball set cheap at Wal-Mart. I had a clearanced Ferris Wheel from TRU but decided against it at the last minute b/c it was missing both people. And I got a Lil' Movers Boating Fun set on sale at Target before Christmas - I was going to save it for my best friend who boats, for when he has a kid of his own, but I may give in and add it to our collection. And I picked up a farmstand mini-set at the supermarket this season too.

I really want the farm but haven't come across ANY, sale or not, in my search today. I think I'm at the point where I'll probably only get sets if I see them on sale or on clearance. That will have to be the way to limit myself.

kristenk
01-07-2006, 12:53 PM
DD got a LP airport set from her grandparents for Christmas. They found it on ebay. She really likes it, and I know that my ILs had a definite price point in mind when they were bidding on ebay, so I think that some affordable sets exist on ebay! You might try that if you really want an airport.

mommato2boys
01-07-2006, 01:38 PM
I started collecting them with my first son, and then he kinda outgrew them, so I thought!!! I brought them back out for DS#2 and low and behold, DS#1 has had fun with them again, and he is almost six!!!!!!
I have the LP house, barn, two different garages, train set, christmas train, christmas village, castle, circus set, construction sets (all), main street, airport, farm, and TONS of vehicles!!!!! I am so out of control!!!!! But I have five years plus in use so far so it has been well worth my money!!!!

JElaineB
01-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Between DS's first and second bday he got the farm, bus, garage, zoo and zoo train, and a farm related people pack. I think that's all. I would say to let your DD's interest guide you in how many to get rather than your interest (hard to do - I was that way with Thomas the Tank Engine stuff). DS seemed to lose major interest in them once he got past 2 years old. Plus he was always scared of the zoo animal noises (still is). I was/am thinking of selling most of them, though now that I cleaned them (ok, DH cleaned them) and took out the batteries he all of a sudden seems interested in the farm at least again. Plus he is more interested in pretend play now, so he is enjoying the figures more. So maybe I won't sell them (sigh - I was trying to reclaim some of my living room). I remember still playing with Little People was I was at least 7 or 8 or maybe even older, but those were the older sets with smaller wooden people. The old sets just seemed cooler to me, so I guess I have never gotten obsessed really over the newer ones (though I was obsessed about finding a cat figure for a while - never did!)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Babywhite
01-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Thanks! I'll check ebay out tonight. :)

R.W.

mtrattner
01-08-2006, 06:25 PM
The cat is in the extra people set with Grandma and Grandpa. I found it at KB toys.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think I will try to hold back for a while. Especially since there are other toys out there. DD will be getting an old Little Tikes train set from the neighbor soon so I need to remember I would like to have space for those type of things.

I am rotating things out though so it makes me feel better about the whole scenario.

:)

KBecks
02-25-2006, 08:06 AM
We have the farm and ferris wheel and I feel it's already too much!

I dislike the ferris wheel (both were gifts). They take up a lot of space. I think we'll get into them more when DS is older. DH really wants the garage. : )

SpaceGal
02-25-2006, 10:56 AM
We currently have the ark and will be giving DS the castle set later since it says 2-5 years and I didn't want to give him too much at once. I think I'm done at this point. I did find another ark at Walmart for $7 and was thrilled! I bought it for a gift for a friend or famly gift later. I do like the pirate ship but We have the castle so we're done I think. Of course I find another Walmart/Target steal and I've got another thing to think about.