PDA

View Full Version : OT: Giant Bikes -- any opinions?

schums
01-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm looking to buy a 2 new bikes --one for DS and one for me. The local sports store only carries Giant bikes, which seem really nice. DS jumped on the "boy" one (with training wheels) and took off. Does anyone have any experience with Giant bikes? Almost 10 years ago, I was looking for a new bike, and I seem to remember that Giant was well regarded then. I think they make some seriously high performance bikes (think Lance Armstrong), but we're looking for something to tool around the neighborhood in. I want something that will last a while without breaking the bank.

TIA,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

o_mom
01-09-2006, 06:10 PM
DH has had 2 Giant bikes in the last 15 years - he likes them and they fit his frame well for a reasonable price. Unless you are a hard-core rider, they should be fine. There is a fairly broad range of price levels with higher end components on the more expensive ones.

FWIW, the guy at the bike store (not a sports store) said that Giant makes frames for one of the high end bike companies and then keeps the designs for their own bikes when they are replaced. He said their designs are basically 2-3 years behind the super high-end bikes, but they also cost 1/3 the price. He could have just been trying to get us to buy one, but it is hard to tell.

brittone2
01-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I've got a Giant mountain bike and like it just fine. I don't bike all that much, but it has worked out well for the price. The only thing I would say is look at how heavy various models are. Mine is heavier (and therefore was lower priced), which is at times a PITB. If you will be loading/unloading it from a rack, that is something to consider, and also it is just more weight to have to pedal around.

Overall it has worked out just fine though :)