PDA

View Full Version : Question about pushbar and pedals on tricycles

Babywhite
01-09-2006, 10:14 PM
We are planning on getting DD a tricycle for her 2nd bday. The bike has a pushbar, but the pedals will still move while we are pushing it. (I can't think of the technical name for this...autofreewheel..I think...)

I have read many posts that said that kids can't pedal until they are 2 1/2 - 3. My question is this... even if they can't or don't understand the pedaling concept do they understand (and are they capable of) to just keep their feet on the moving pedals while they are being pushed.

(Sorry if I didn't explain that very well. DD has been a handful today. :):):))

TIA!

R.W.

brittone2
01-09-2006, 10:43 PM
I think it depends on the child (generic answer, huh? ;) ). DS is getting a similar trike (Kiddio Supertrike 4) for his 2nd bday next month and it has the pushbar but no autofreewheel.

My plan is 1.) sturdy shoes just in case he gets his foot caught and 2.) if he's unable to keep his feet out of the way, I'm going to have DH make some footplates out of plywood that have velcro straps that can hold his feet in place. When I worked as a pediatric P.T. our maintenance person used to make these for us so we could use the trikes with our special needs kids.

I'm curious what the other responses will be to this but they are my thoughts...we'll see how it goes in a month LOL.

Neatfreak
01-09-2006, 10:44 PM
My 18 month-old just got her trike for Xmas, and she's starting to understand when I ask her to keep her hands on the handles. The pedals, well, I haven't have any luck with those yet. And hers don't even move!

Babywhite
01-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Yep! That's the bike we are getting our DD. :) Our local TRUS said that the computer showed one coming to the store. I don't think that is correct b/c (I thought) I read it was only available online.

My MIL bought her a Rock N Ride for Christmas. So far, she hasn't kept her feet on the pedals or the "footbar" whenever we push her. This is what got me concerned about the bike. Your idea about the footplates and velcro straps makes me feel much better!! :)

Thanks!
R.W.

Elena
01-12-2006, 01:58 PM
DS is 18 month, and he got the idea of keeping his feet on the pedals very quickly. We do have the autofreewheel feature, though. Without it it might have been different though. He even tried to push the pedals a few times, but his legs are a little too short yet.

JFC
01-12-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm such a big fan of this trike - we bought it for DS for his 2nd birthday last summer and we just love it.

It took us a few "sessions" of "riding" for DS to understand to try to keep his feet on the pedals while "riding." I would help him place his feet when we started out and tell him to pedal (he actually thinks he is moving it "all by himself") and if his feet came off I'd stop walking until he put his feet back on. It was a bit of a PITA in the beginning, but not bad. I actually prefer that the pedals move, as it gives DS the motion of pedaling vs. just sitting there going for a free-ride. I think he has only gotten his foot caught once or twice - neither time did it hurt him and I could feel it as resistance even if I couldn't see it. HTH!

Enjoy! ;-)

brittone2
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Glad you like your trike :) That is always nice to hear!! I'm having a tough time keeping ours packed away for another month. DS has seen it (assembled) in the attic a few times and has even snuck a ride up there with daddy ;) I think he'll love it :)