PDA

View Full Version : barrier around the TV?

lotsofjoy
01-10-2006, 04:34 PM
I need to find something to put around the TV because the twins favorite place to watch from is standing RIGHT in front of it. I have a superyard XT that we used before, but it was with a different TV. The one we have sits much lower and the XT is too tall (blocks the screen). I need something not any taller than 2 feet, which is where the bottom of the TV screen starts

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

mudder17
01-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Hmm...could you put an arm chair inside the XT and put them in the arm chair to watch (so it would lift them up), but they couldn't get out of the XT?

I had that problem with Kaya until I started putting a chair for her away from the TV and asked her to sit in it. Also, since she only watches for up to 30 minutes a day, if she's in the mood for standing in front of the tv, I can sit on the couch and call her to sit next to me and she'll do it.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

hardysmom
01-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Your twins are exactly 2 months younger than my twins (3/24/04) and your older child is 2 months older than Hardy (11/17/01), so am guessing that our worlds are pretty similar.

Really, my girls don't watch TV in terms of following a story. It is more like their brother is watching a TiVo'd Little Einsteins or something and they get in front. They do like Sesame Street. I have to keep everyone at bay while I do one of the many things which can't be accomplished with 2 young toddlers and a 4 yr old underfoot. When I only had 1 child, he only watched teletubbies, ever, and that was a treat. All the best of parenting intentions have to be adapted in twindom...

There are some yards which are less obstructive, but at your kids age, you are really on the edge of being too old for yards anyway so it probably isn't worth it. Do you have a twin club sale in your area? If it is worth it to you to spend more $$, however limited the usefulness, One Step Ahead always has a nice selection. I think this might just be one of those unfortunate moments in time when the old can't-live-without-it-twin-thing is outgrown and you have to move to a more independent (YIKES!) stage. At (almost) 22 months, I am realizing that I can't contain my girls the way I once did. It is that awkward stage when they are totally mobile, but don't understand direction.

We have a love/hate relationship with gates- it is nice if they are tall enough to serve as a barrier to the girls, but short enough for Hardy to climb over. Is that an issue for you? 24 inches is pretty short. Recently, one of my girls (who is tiny) started climbing over a short gate I had on the door to their room (so that I could let one play nearby while changing the other). The other daughter is a little motor delayed, but even she is starting to try to get over. At 19 mo, I don't think a 24 inch barrier would last more than a few months, tops.

My girls also will stand right in front of the TV. I have found that after 2-3 minutes, if there are other things to do nearby, they will wander off. They also like having a chair. If the babies are just staring at the set without moving on or stepping back, I usually move them to their chairs. One will stay on the couch for a while if I give her a blanket. The other is VERY busy, so it is a losing battle. Still, if I let the situation play-out, they will move on fairly quickly.

Blocking the TV is more of an annoyance to Hardy who wants to see his "show" without his sisters standing in front of him. Well, and to DH, who is hates all the handprints.

Hope this helps.
Stephanie