PDA

View Full Version : Eurobath vs Sure Comfort Deluxe vs Safer Bather

longtallsally
01-11-2006, 08:22 AM
I need some input about baby bathtubs/pads so I know what to buy/register for. I live in Japan, and I have limited storage space and no traditional bathtub in my apartment. My "bathtub" measures approx. 3x4 feet, has tall sides, and is sunken down below floor level, rendering it suitable only for showering or perhaps bathing a small elephant (assuming it could climb out)! There is no way I could bathe a child in my tub without climbing in myself, as it is impossible to bend over the side and reach the bottom of the tub.

I need a tub that that will fit over my kitchen double sink. I also need a tub that will hold a LARGE baby! All the babies in my family are born weighing 9 pounds, and we are all very TALL people (including me)!

So, it looks like my choices are the Sure Comfort Deluxe (may fit over double sink but may not hold large babies) or the Eurobath (holds large babies/toddlers, but may not fit over double sink). I would go with the Eurobath if 1) it fits over a kitchen double sink and 2) I could get it shipped over here. Otherwise I may have to go with the Sure Comfort Deluxe. What has been your experience with these products?

A possible alternative is to get the Safer Bather by Leachco and just bathe the baby in the kitchen sink. Does anyone know if the Safer Bather pad fits in a double sink?

Please help! I need to get this sorted out soon so that I can get something shipped over here before my baby is born!

Thank you!

daniele_ut
01-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Having lived in a small apartment in Tokyo one summer, I wouldn't get a Eurobath. It is huge and takes up a lot space. Plus, it won't fit over a double sink. You'd probably have to just use it on the counter or the floor.

We have the Sure Comfort Deluxe and it worked fine until DS was about 6 months old, but then he got so restless in it that we ended up bathing him in the our bathtub. He wasn't crazy about the Toddler side of the tub, so we gave up on it. At that stage, you could just climb in the tub with your baby or bath him directly in the sink. We had a tub like that in our apartment and I loved it!

kboyle
01-11-2006, 04:42 PM
I've got the safer bather and i can't imagine putting it into a double sink It's orety wide, and when wet, it's pretty heavy. I do like it though for the bathtub.

clc053103
01-11-2006, 04:54 PM
I have the sure Comfort Deluxe and love it- My DS was 8 lb 13 oz when born and he still fit in the sling (after his belly button came off but before we were ready to just put him in the tub). He's now over 21 lbs at 6 months and STILL fits in it- but he still sits on the infant side- doesn't like sitting up on the toddler side.

longtallsally
01-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks, folks. That clinches it! I will register for/buy the Sure Comfort Deluxe, and use it over the sink. I will worry about actual tub baths when DC gets to that point.

Hmm...maybe I can just fold a towel and put it in the bottom of the kitchen sink when DC is no longer comfy in the baby tub...

This is a bit OT, but...

How old does a child has to be before it is safe for them to shower? I would never take DC into the shower and hold them in my arms. I would be too afraid of dropping DC, besides how on Earth would you get DC clean?! When I lived in Mexico, no family I knew had a bathtub (showers only) and yet their kids were ALWAYS clean. What a mystery! In addition to our deep/wide Japanese "bathtub", we have a walk-in shower room with non-slip floor and height-adjustable, hand-held shower head. It would be really easy for DH and I to get DC clean with a shower once DC is steady on their own two feet. What do you guys think?

Thanks again!

kphil
01-12-2006, 04:07 AM
I started taking my kids in the shower once they were very steady sitters (as in, they were way past the point of ever, ever falling over when sitting). I have sometimes taken them in arms into the shower when smaller though, too. That does take special care though, as they are slippery! You can buy mesh sling-type baby carriers meant especially for holding baby while you're in the shower (or pool). I have heard of others using a baby bathtub put on one end of the shower when their babies were sitting up, but not ready yet to sit alone in the shower. I think the kitchen sink would work fine once your baby is too big for the Sure Comfort Deluxe, though. I used that tub for my last baby (and will use it again for this one), and she definately could have sat in the sink by the time I stopped using the baby tub with her.

HTH!
Kirsten