PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Genie vs. Diaper Champ

sophiesmom
01-14-2006, 08:57 PM
We used a Genie with DD and DS, but DH (not knowing what he was doing) busted the plastic ring part and I ended up having to throw it away. I liked it and thought it did a good job of preventing smells.

For this baby, I was all ready to buy the Diaper Champ. A friend of mine likes it and I wouldn't need to buy refills. However, another friend just told me she hated hers, that by the time her daughter started eating solids the thing started to stink up the room.

Soooooo, now thinking of getting a new Genie. Any opinions?
Thanks!

jawilli4
01-14-2006, 09:44 PM
I use a Diaper Champ with my 17 MO DS. I keep a container of baking soda in the bottom of it and change the bag every four days on average. That being said, I don't have a problem with smell and would highly recommend it to anyone.

randomkid
01-14-2006, 10:09 PM
We have the Diaper Champ and I also noticed a smell once DD started solids. However, since the thing is plastic, I think it tends to absorb odor. We took it outside and cleaned it with bleach/water solution and let it sit out in the sun for a while. Then, I started flushing the poop instead of putting it in the pail - makes more sense to do that anyway. Since then, no odor! We also change the bag every 3-4 days. I just spray Lysol in the pail every time I empty it. I also won't wait so long to clean it out with bleach (I think we used it 11 months before I bleached it). I cleaned it out with other cleaners, but the bleach really did the trick.

If you go with the Champ, I recommend disposable diaper bags or some small bag to use for poopy diapers. When DD was on breastmilk, I had some of those runny diapers leak a little out into the cylinder and it smears all inside there. A pain to clean out! I use the disposable bags for her poopy diapers and no more mess, plus I think it helps to keep down the smell. I bought a big box at BRU several months ago and still have a lot left. I think it's $7.50 for 250 bags so still much cheaper than Genie refills.

HTH,

sue_g
01-14-2006, 10:31 PM
We have two Diaper Champs (one upstairs and one downstairs). I would highly recommend it. We also empty it once in the middle of the week and once at the end.

trumansmom
01-14-2006, 11:35 PM
I know it's too late, but in the future, Playtex has AMAZING customer service. I also broke the ring on my Diaper Genie. I called them to see how I could purchase the part and the sent me an entire new top for my DG for free!

I've been using the same one for 4 years now, so I guess I have to recommend it!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

JElaineB
01-14-2006, 11:44 PM
I was going to post the exact same thing. ITA with Jeanne. If you had called Playtex they would have send you a new ring (or entire top)free. We busted another piece on our top and they sent us a whole new top when the DG was 2 years old. We have been using ours since DS was born and are still happy with it.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

sophiesmom
01-15-2006, 09:01 AM
oh man it's a shame i didn't do that. i hear the newer genie is easier to use in general though, which will be good for DH and my mother! ;-) i have a feeling i may go with the genie.. thanks all!

betsydenny
01-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Having given our Genie away just to get the stink out of the house and using a Champ at Grandpa's that smells despite being used only about 6 days per month- DH read about the Saftey First NEAT system in the Wall Street Journal of all places.
It has served us beautifully for about a year now with 2 on solids and in diapers in a very small apartment. This thing is awesome. Don't be put off by the 2 hands needed. I just put it in once DC is off the changing table.
I would certainly buy it again, which I would NOT do with either the Genie or the Champ.
HTH
Betsy

hardysmom
01-15-2006, 03:30 PM
I used a Genie with my older DS and a Champ for the twins...

It is a trade off- the Genie contains smell better, but is awkward to deal with sometimes. I had a hard time every time I had to put in a refill.

The Champ is a LOT easier and uses regular trash bags which is nice. We've been using it for 2 yrs with the twins. Around 18 mo, when their poop became firmer, I started putting poop in the toilet (when I can). Since then, I haven't noticed much of a smell. Of course, since we have 2 babies, it probably gets emptied more. I also spray it down with Lysol every few times it is emptied and/or if a particularly bad poop goes in.

Stephanie
Blythe and Charlotte
Hardy

sophiesmom
01-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks,,, i'll check it out!

smilla653
01-16-2006, 01:50 PM
You might also consider the Diaper Dekor. We have a Diaper Dekor plus and I love it.

While you do have to buy special bags for it, the refills last a really long time. You also don't need any hands to open it (step-can type lid). We just started solids and no smell yet!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005V6C8/104-6331518-3796727?v=glance

pittsburghgirl
01-16-2006, 03:58 PM
We also have the Dekor, which has worked well. We only get a little smell when it is nearly full, and if DS has a particularly nasty diaper (usually we dump as much of the poop in the toliet as possible which makes a big difference.) We keep the Dekor in the bathroom which is right next to DS's room and that makes a big difference too!

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

sophiesmom
01-16-2006, 05:54 PM
thanks! another one to look into! too many decisions!!!

lmwbasye
01-18-2006, 07:21 AM
We also have the Diaper Dekor and really like it.

FYI...you don't need to use their bags. You can use regular kitchen trash bags, which is one reason we bought it. It can be used like a regular trash can in the future.

Laura :)

Liam (10/04)

essnce629
01-20-2006, 05:06 PM
I've had our champ for 2 1/2 years and I really like it. I've washed it out a few times (like 2 times) with bleach, but what I do now is each time I empty it I spray down the ENTIRE inside with Lysol and leave it open to dry before putting a new bag in. After doing this I've had NO stink issues at all. Also, with poopy diapers, I always wrapped the dirty diaper in a plastic grocery bag first and tied it in a knot before putting it in the Champ. Conner's been potty trained for a while now and we used cloth diapers after he turned one, but I take care of a 2 year old girl full time and I've always used the Champ for her disposable diapers. I empty it once a week on trash day.

***Latia
Conner, my homebirthed water baby, 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

heather_c
01-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Although I have not used a Genie, I really like the Champ. It is so easy to use, I never have to worry about someone breaking it who does not know how to use it.

Heather

Matthew - 9/7/05

http://b1.lilypie.com/3UZGm6/.png

befishman
01-22-2006, 12:08 AM
For those of you with Diaper Dekor: I just bought one and feel like a real dunce that I can't tell how to change the liner. I don't mean the whole roll, just when the bag is full, what do you do? I pulled the bag out and expected to see a perforated edge come down from the roll to tear off, but there didn't seem to be one. So I just cut the bag, tied the top of the part that was full of diapers and tied the bottom of the new liner...does that make sense? But it seems odd to me that I should be cutting the liner with scissors every time it fills with diapers. There were no directions...am I missing something?!

Embarrassed, I'm sure its obvious,

Beth

lmwbasye
01-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Beth,

Do not be embarrassed. It's not immediately evident. As far as the tying goes, you did everything right. The only difference is that instead of scissors, you run the top of the full bag (wherever you want the top to be - there is no perferation) through a cutter on the inside of the door. That will cut it and then you tie the bottom of the new liner.

Hope this makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll explain better.

Laura :)

Liam (10/04)

befishman
01-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Laura, thank you! I didn't notice the cutter inside the door. Funny its not mentioned anywhere...I'll go look now. I knew it didn't make sense that I'd need the scissors, LOL.

I appreciate your help very much!

Beth