PDA

View Full Version : A little OT but help! Vacuums!!

seeks1
01-16-2006, 09:33 PM
I need a new vacuums and I am expecting my first child. I need recommendations for a good all purpose vacuum. We have a dog and so a lot of dog hair. I was looking at the Dyson Animal but it is so expensive. Any other recommendations??

rrkalina
01-16-2006, 10:56 PM
The Dyson Animal is expensive, but SOOOOO worth it!! I just got one a couple of weeks ago and it's amazing the job this thing does!!

The latest Linens N Things 20% coupon CAN be used on Dyson--that's $110 off the D14 Animal! That's how we got ours a couple of weeks ago.

seeks1
01-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Where did you get the coupon??

rrkalina
01-16-2006, 11:09 PM
They're in the Sunday newspaper and I also get them in the mail. They may even have the flyers at the store.

hardysmom
01-16-2006, 11:46 PM
I bought a refurbished Miele White Star off ebay. Love it.

Stephanie

ErinP
01-16-2006, 11:50 PM
I had a vacuum fetish a few years ago and went through buying and selling a few since nothing was right. Then I got a Miele Vacuum at a local vacuum store. This thing is amazing, especially with pet hair with the turbo attachment. it still works as well as it did 4 years ago! And I can tell it will last A LONG time! Well worth the money! It comes and many different models with different features ranging from around $300 to $1500.

ajrivers
01-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Ditto the Dyson DC14 Animal. Love it! Got mine a week ago at BBB with their 20% off coupon. You get the bonus of actually seeing everything you pick up which also lots of fun.

seeks1
01-19-2006, 09:28 AM
For those that have the animal, do you find it hard to push? I thought I read that somewhere that since it doesn't have autodrive it is hard to push.

Just looking for more info! TIA

supercalifragilous
01-19-2006, 12:30 PM
We almost bought a Dyson but ended up buying a Miele instead and we're REALLY happy with it. I feel like canister vacs clean better anyway, at least that's what I've heard. I think it's quieter and the brushheads clean better since they have their own motor instead of relying on the vacuum suction to rotate the heads. Kenmore has a decently priced knock-off of the Miele (based on the Panasonic brand) that got great reviews - it's just a tad bit noisier but I tried it out and it works great too. It got good reviews in Consumer Reports.

For animal hair, you should really consider a vac that has a motor in the powerhead/brush roller. You'll need that extra power to really pick up the hair. My Hoover Windtunnel absolutely sucked at picking up hair and that's actually why we switched.

With a newborn, you might want to look into air filtration in the vacuum too. I know Miele has won awards for theirs (part of the reason why we bought it) and Kenmore has a dual filter system too. I don't mind DD riding around on the canister right by the vent.

You'll find lots of Dyson fans here but I'm a Miele girl!

peasprout
01-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Dyson Animal!! Or any Dyson for that matter. We also have a lot of dog hair and the Dyson is amazing. I love it!
JP