PDA

View Full Version : another vacum question - does anyone have a quite vacum?

jess_g
01-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Our Hoover vacum cleaner is so noisy and my 2 year old hates it so much. He cries when I mention the word vacum or when I go to plug it in and then cries until I am done with it. Does anyone make a quiter one? And how noisy are the Dysons? I have heard they are very good at suction but are they just as noisy as the others?

Thanks,

Jessica.

CiderLogan
01-17-2006, 02:48 PM
One alternative would be Roomba (vacuum robot). It's quiet and perfect for cleaning between heavy vacuumings. My DD isn't scared of our regular vacuum but loves watching Roomba go round and round.

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!

zen_bliss
01-18-2006, 02:43 AM
our miele is very quiet and has great suction. in an apt, i have vacuumed even on the top suction level after she's gone to bed without it disturbing her (though the powerheads are noisier and i wouldn't use those with a sleeping toddler.) it's a big investment but after 7 years going strong without a single repair, i can say it's well worth it! i had gone through about $400 worth of two eurekas in 2 years prior to buying it. we have a lot of dog hair and city dust.

supercalifragilous
01-19-2006, 12:24 PM
We have a Miele too (Aluminium - yes that's spelled right) and I find it extremely quiet. I did a lot of research and almost bought a Dyson before testing the Miele. It was a lot of $$$ but I'm very happy with it. If you're interested, the best deal is to find a retailer online and getting a B&M store to match it (then you can use the store's repairman in the future should you need it - it's just extra insurance). DD actually likes to ride it since it's a canister vac.

Should mention we had a Hoover WindTunnel and a couple Eurekas before the Miele and all the previous ones had freaked her out. Plus I think the filtration system in the Miele is a huge plus, especially for allergy suffers. I don't mind her riding the canister right by the vent.

JFC
01-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Another Miele user here. My MIL actually bought it for me after seeing how freaked out DS was with my old vacuum. It is so quiet! I vacuum during his naps and it doesn't bother him at all - and just about anything will wake him up. It is pricy, but we love it - my carpets have never looked so good and they are new. Miele's also last forever (my MIL's is going on 10 years!). Also, as a PP mentioned, it has an AWESOME filtration system. If you can swing it, it is totally worth it!

AngelaS
01-21-2006, 05:04 PM
I have a Lindhaus. I LOVE it! It sucks and it's quiet enough I can talk on the phone while using it. :D

jess_g
01-21-2006, 05:20 PM
thanks everyone. Consumer reports actualy said that the Miele vacums were the only ones they considered quite. We have a vacum repair shop near us so I will stop in sometime and check out the Miele ones. Hopefully he will demenstrate one for me so I can hear it before I buy one. Does anyone have a model or features they would recomend? It seams that there are alot of different models.

Thanks,

Jessica.

JFC
01-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Jessica,
I have the Solaris. That said, I didn't buy it and I have no idea what it has that other do not... my former cleaning woman had one that was a lot less expensive (I dare not call it "base") and it also worked wonders. I know some are better suited for hard floors vs. carpet vs. overall cleaning, etc. Hopefully a local Miele dealer could walk you through what would suit you needs best. Here is a link to Miele Vacuums - it gives info. about each line and then at the bottom you can enter your zip code for local dealers. HTH!

http://www.mielevacuums.com/default.asp?cat=1