PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recc a bath seat?

clc053103
01-22-2006, 07:57 PM
DS is 6 months and BIG (over 21 lbs). I finally moved him to the tub, but he is very active and the bath ring hand-me-down I have left marks on his legs from the ring part b/c of his kicking!

LEt me know which seats have worked for you! Thanks!

o_mom
01-22-2006, 08:02 PM
We just used a sponge pad under DS in the big tub at that age. It was less than $5 at BRU. We would put in about 2 in of water and lay him back on the sponge. It was much easier and safer than a bath seat (they are considered very dangerous in case you weren't aware). In a couple of months he will be sitting on his own and you won't need it anyway.

clc053103
01-22-2006, 08:33 PM
We have the big sponge pad too- DS doesn't want to lay down anymore, he literally sits himself up. I didn't know the seats were dangerous- I know I saw reminders that you need to stay with the baby the entire time (which to me seemed pretty obvious- he's in water!) Please fill me in on why they are dangerous- maybe I'll have to find another way!

Beth568
01-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Those rings are dangerous because the baby can get stuck in them and the ring can flip over - and the baby can easily get stuck under water. Even for a few seconds, that's a really bad thing. I'm sure you have the commmon sense not to leave your infant in the bathroom alone, but even if you turn around to grab a towel and he flips, it could be pretty bad.

Does he sit up yet? I used one of those little inflatable mini tubs for my girls when they were too small for a regular tub, but big enough to more or less support themselves. I also had a hammock-type bath seat with a seatbelt that I used when they were small infants (the second product you see on this page: http://www.summerinfant.com/bath.htm ) and that worked well for DD2.

lilycat88
01-22-2006, 10:51 PM
I second the inflatable mini tubs. We bathed DD in the kitchen sink until she was 9-10 months old and then moved her to the inflatable tub. We're still using it even though she is over the weight limit they indicate. She has no interest in standing up during her bath and is freaked out by the "big tub" so it works well for us.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

Bearhut
01-23-2006, 07:51 AM
We just put DC in a plastic rectangular laundry basket in the tub. This gave DC sides to hold onto and allowed her toys (and her) to stay contained. It worked wonderfully for us and once she grew out of it, or more accurately decided she would no longer use it (just before she turned two) it now has a new life as a recycle bin.

o_mom
01-23-2006, 08:03 AM
There have been several deaths from using them - mainly due to leaving the baby alone. They tend to give parents a false sense of security, so they tend to take more risks - not that I think you would. Also, because of their design, if they tip over, the child is trapped underwater and cannot even lift their head out.

We never did the inflatable tub, but might have if the sponge pad stopped working.

clc053103
01-23-2006, 08:58 AM
It looks like there's a newer model out that attaches to the side of the tub so it can't tip over- but it has mixed reviews (mold growth inside? Eww!) Within the month DS should be more steady sitting on his own so we may not even need it- just use our hands to steady him for washing.

Thanks for the suggestions. I particularly like the laundry basket idea and may try that next! Since he is not afraid of the big tub, the inflatable may not be necessary if we use the basket.

I appreciate the info and ideas!

tarahsolazy
01-23-2006, 10:25 PM
If he can sit up on his own, why put him in anything? We used the big tub from when DS was three months old. Initially an adult bathed with him. Once he could sit, he splashed around happily alone. I sit right at the tub edge, and can touch him at all times. Of course tonight I got squirted by a froggie squirter, so maybe I'm too close now, LOL. He's never fallen over without being caught. Now he stands up and walks around in there. I do have a spout protector, though.

clc053103
01-24-2006, 10:32 AM
DH and I discussed that last night- he may be a little nervous about it so I told him I would climb in with DS the first couple of times! LOL! We do have a spout protector in place too. Thanks for responding!

Andrea S
01-24-2006, 12:30 PM
We used an inflatable tub in the big tub. Andrew loved it. He could still kick and slash.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02
& #2 EDD 3/28/06