PDA

View Full Version : Highchair advice

ColleenO
01-25-2006, 05:38 PM
I am looking for a highchair that looks like furniture (preferably wooden) rather than a play area, but that still has all of the safety features recommended in the Baby Bargains book. Does anyone have any recommendations? The advertisement for Cotton on the back of my recent Parents magazine has what I'm looking for but I can't find anything remotely similar anywhere. If I can't find a safe wooden highchair I was thinking of getting the new Fisher Price Space Saver that goes on a regular dining room chair but I think it is new so isn't mentioned in Baby Bargains. Does anyone know anything about this model?? Thanks for any advice, suggestions you may have!

o_mom
01-25-2006, 06:50 PM
I think there is an Eddie Bauer one by Cosco that is wood with a plastic tray. It looks really nice, but I've never used it. Here is one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000ARW4NO/qid=1138232951/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-3308408-8767009?v=glance&s=baby

I do know that all my friends IRL that got the "furniture-type" highchairs were very disappointed when they actually used them. They all said they got them so they would match the furniture, but they are a PITA to clean, not as safe, etc. This was before the Eddie Bauer one came out - these were all from furniture stores.

Beth568
01-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Well, there's the Svan chair. Expensive, and maybe not everyone's style, but I'd get one if I needed a high chair because you can move older kids into it...

http://www.babybungalow.com/svanchair.html

mariza
02-12-2006, 08:00 PM
I have the Eddie Bauer chair and I have a love/ hate relationship with it. I posted a review in the new review page, basically my big issue with it is DD has been able to get out of the useless harness since she was 9 months old and can pull herself up to a standing position all in about 10 seconds flat. I plan to keep the chair in the hopes that when she is older she will learn to sit still more (and that she'll be too big to be able to turn around in the space between the tray and her belly)
I bought the FP Space Saver at Target after seeing it in Parents magazine and hunting for weeks for it. I have to say that I really am happy with it. I also have the FP Healthy Care booster that I use at my brothers house, but the space saver is soooo much better for everyday at home use. I love the height adjustable and recline settings. It has a 5-point harness and the tray comes all the way in to baby so no more twisting around in the high chair. Plus I love the it doesn't take up any extra floor space. The only thing I wish it had was a removable tray insert like most high chairs. It only has the one tray, but you can put the whole thing in the dishwasher, so it's not a big deal, just a convienece thing. HTH!

winifredzb
02-14-2006, 11:02 AM
A good friend of mine purchased a wooden highchair from Ikea and she loves it! Inexpensive and it is not bulky. If you are near an Ikea you might want to check it out.

Good Luck!

ColleenO
02-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks so much! I got the FP space saver and so far love it!

mariza
02-15-2006, 08:24 AM
So glad you like it, I still love mine too (although it's only been a month!)