PDA

View Full Version : Learning Tower question

duvie
01-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I have read the previous threads, but I am still not clear on a few things with the LT:
DS is just 15 months, not yet walking but he loves to climb... we would need to leave the LT out, so would he be able to climb up on it on his own? I like the idea of the band around it once he is in it, but I don't want him to get in on his own and then probably fall out.
He is always wanting to be up at counter height seeing what we are doing. I can't hold him all of the time and we tried a step stool, but he side-steps and then falls off.

I love all of the stories of your DC on the Learning Tower...and the "swinging" one made me laugh (not as funny in real life, I'm sure!)
Thanks!

brittone2
01-27-2006, 02:20 PM
It depends on the kiddo's skill level, size of the child, and what height you have it adjusted to IMO. My DS will be turning 2 in a few weeks and he just started climbing in/out on his own recently. However, he's just not much of a climber in general and is on the cautious side with things like that. I'm sure there are 15-18 month olds that could climb in and out on their own, but he didn't until now. He's also on the smaller side for his age.

Sorry I can't be more specific...but down the road he'll definitely be able to climb in/out on his own even if he can't do it quite yet (or maybe he will in fact be able to!!).

We love our LT. :)

simba
01-27-2006, 10:51 PM
If he is a climber, I'd say he could climb up on it. I just got mine and so far I have been very happy, as it keeps DS entertained at the sink rinsing stuff and pouring water. DS is not a climber, so no problems here. Maybe you could cover it when you don't use it?

Elena
01-27-2006, 11:08 PM
We got ours when DS was 1 year old. We had to put 2 rows of Bungee cords around it because he fell out of it once through the side hole. We kept the cords always on and I would just lift DS in and out of LT. When he was 17 months or so, he started climbing on the cords while he was standing in LT, and I knew it was time to take the cords off just for safety reasons. In a few days DS could already climb up and down on his own (I had to show him how to get down safely)

I highly recommend to use the cords around LT when your child is young and not coordinated yet. It's simply not safe without them. There is a reason why LT is marketed to 18 month olds +.

I think we used these Shock Cord Tie Downs with hooks (scroll down to the middle of the page):

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=1402&CtlgEdition=&sesnextrep=602782687338952&ScreenWidth=1024&McMMainWidth=804

HTH

Judegirl
01-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Rory wouldn't know "cautious" if it bit her in the nose. She uses the LT like a jungle gym. She swings in and out of it like a monkey from one vine to the next, she hoists herself up in the rails with her arms and sways back and forth with her arms, she stands on the side rails and wiggles it around, and she leans over the top and tries to somersault to the ground. So much for sitting inside and reading...

It's been fabulous for her. But it is not to be used without supervision. We do leave it out all the time, but we try to stay close when she's in it, particuarly if she's getting a running start, because she can tip it when she climbs.

I think it's great for climbers...just stick close!

Jude

duvie
01-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks so much for the helpful responses. We are still on the fence, mainly because we don't know where we would put it when it is not in use. Maybe we could put hooks on the ceiling and put it up there when we don't want DS climbing on it...LOL :)

sdbc
01-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Just a thought, but if you want him to climb up and down on his own, why not just use a sturday/stable diningroom chair? Without the rails, I don't think it's any safer than our regular chairs. We just let Rory stand on a chair at the counter. We set her in the corner and the back is behind her, and I am at the open side. We haven't had any mishaps (yet), and it definitely requires supervision, but those LTs are large and would take up too much space for us.
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

duvie
01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
You read my mind! A few days ago I put him on the dining room chair and he played in the sink for 20 minutes. I think that we will hold off on the LT for now.

Thanks for the responses!