PDA

View Full Version : Which small, High Chair before Kinderzeat. DD 6mo.

colegiala
01-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi,
She's 6 mo. she just started to eat solids about 1 mo. ago. She's sitting up on her stroller, Bumbo Seat or I just hold her to feed her. We are in a small 1 bedroom apt. and I don't want to get a bulky, plastic highchair. I like the kinderzeat, but read she needs to be I think 16month to use? Any suggestion on what to use until then? I don't know if I can keep on feeding her like I am doing now for another 10months. Can the Svan be used earlier? I've just read many good things about the Kinderzeat, but have not heard too much about the Svan. Open to other brands. Appreciate any ideas.
Thanks,
Gaby

squimp
01-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Why not get a supportive booster seat, like the First Years 4 stage feeding seat. You can start using it now, and it will last until the Kinderzeat (15 months or so). That's what we did.

jwozy
01-29-2006, 02:27 AM
We used the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster Seat and they worked great. We've taken these booster seats everywhere and I even used them on our boat to feed the kids. They fold up so compactly, doesn't really take up much room, and also really easy to travel with. My kids are almost 21 months and I just ordered the Kinderzeat but we are still using the same boosters whenever we are out and about. We started using these seats when they were about 6 months old so it's been a good investment.

mariza
01-29-2006, 08:48 AM
I just got the new Fisher Price Space Saver Highchair at Target. They are brand new and might be hard to find, but IMO worth searching for. I had an Eddie Bauer wooden highchair that DD kept climbing out of. The space saver attaches right to your kitchen chair has 3 (or 4- I forget) diffent height adjustments and reclines. It has a 5 point harness and the tray comes in close so my little Houdini can't escape. I love that it reclines so that when DC#2 arrives I can use it for him/her and hopefully DD will be able to go back into the Eddie Bauer when she's older.
The seat is vinyl and wipes clean. The only thing I wish it had was a removable tray insert, but it's not a big deal since the whole tray is dishwasher safe.
I also have a Chicco travel chair (the kind that hangs from the table) that we use in restaurants and my Moms house, it works great as well and takes almost no space. HTH!

Momof3Labs
01-29-2006, 10:40 AM
ITA to go with a booster that straps to a chair; we had a real high chair but switched to a booster when DS boycotted the high chair. I wish that we had gone straight to the $20 booster and skipped the $180 high chair!!

Ohio_Mom
01-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I agree with the others about getting a hook-on booster until your daughter is old enough for the Kinderzeat.

I had a Prima Pappa chair for my daughter and hated dealing with cleaning it, figuring out where to store it, food being spilled and thrown from it, washing those huge trays, etc. When she was 14 months old we ditched the high chair and bought a Kinderzeat, and it's been the BEST investment we have made so far where baby products are concerned.

I'm expecting #2 in March, and I'm just going to get the Fisher Price Healthy Care booster (around $20) for use with him until he's big enough to sit in a Kinderzeat too. Since we'd probably end up spending $100 on a high chair anyway, we might as well just save the expense now and put it toward the KZ later.

My in-laws have the Healthy Care booster for us to use when we're visiting their house, and we like it pretty well. I'm not sure how well it would work for a bigger kid because it's built pretty small, but I'm not too worried about that because we only want to use it until he's big enough for the Kinderzeat anyway.

Hope that helps a bit!

jbrandy
01-30-2006, 07:51 PM
We used a Graco Hook-on chair until DS was 11 months. We used the Kinderzeat from then on out. It was fantastic! I would just recommend using a very inexpensive hook on booster like the Graco one or any of the ones mentioned above. You can't go wrong with a Kinderzeat! I totally believe that is why our son is so good at the table -- because he has always eaten at the table with us -- we never had a high chair, his plate was always on the table even when we used the Graco Hook-on seat. He has never tipped his food, plate, etc....

Best wishes!

Beth B
DS 4-4-03