PDA

View Full Version : Please don't sit on the cat! ISO a toddler chair

elliput
01-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Yep, DD is now using my big fat white cat as a seat (in addition to crawling all over him), so I guess it is time for her own chair.

I did a quick search and saw some posts about the PBK Anywhere Chair and the Toddlerock chairs. For those of you that have one of these chairs (or even something else) - how are they holding up? What you you think of the quality of construction and durability of fabric? Is it easy to clean (well as easy as any upholstered furniture)? Do think it is too big/small? Have you seen something else you like better? Do you think an ottoman is necessary in addition to the chair? Should I just scrap the idea of a chair and get a beanbag?

For those of you that haven't seen them, the Toddlerock chairs are pretty neat looking and have tons of fabric options. http://www.toddlerock.com/

Budgetwise I would like to be <$100, so the PBK chair is at the top of my range. I plan on putting the chair in my living room which is decorated in "Victorian Ecclectic" (dark woods, nothing actually matches, and is traditional styling).

Hippoharbor
01-29-2006, 04:09 PM
We got the TOddlerock chair for DS for xmas. He is now only 11.5 months old and has never sat in the chair or even tried to play with it. I kind of suspected he would do that, but I am hoping as he gets a little older that he will enjoy sitting in his chair while looking at books, watching tv, etc.

I absolutely LOVE the chair. It is solidly built and oh so soft. We got the Dreamboat blue. For the price of this chair, I think it is absolutely worth buying.

Yes, our little boy prefers to sit on our 114 lb dog instead of floor, chairs. Fortunately, Sadie is quite tolerant of this and I think she enjoys the attention from him.
Michelle

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
02-03-2006, 10:50 PM
My DD has the PBK My First Anywhere chair. At first (she was 11 months) she ignored it but now (she just turned 1 on Jan 14, 2006), I see her sitting in there all the time. It took her a few weeks to get the idea. Now, I'll sit in her rocking chair and she'll sit in her chair - which is next to the rocking chair - and thumb through a picture book. She doesn't sit for long periods of time - probably because it isn't in front of the TV - but it is definitely getting use and I expect that she'll use it even more frequently as she gets older. I might move it to the TV room, but I slipcovered it to match her nursery, thinking it would be a reading chair.

The My First Anywhere chair is a good size for her, but lots of people say the regular one is good to start with too and lasts longer. The Anywhere chair is actually made of foam inserts. So it isn't wood construction. The idea is that it is light (has a handle) so the child can eventually pick it up and move it herself around the house. I bought my inserts on ebay and ended up saving about $50 on the chair, including shipping. I could have saved more by buying the slipcover on ebay too, but I wanted to get it embroidered. In retrospect, I didn't really have to do that b/c the embroidery was crooked and they ended up having to redo it. Plus #2 is already on the way, so we'll probably get her a bigger chair and use the smaller one for #2 when s/he turns 1.

Jada2929
02-03-2006, 11:58 PM
We have the Toddlerock. My DD is 17 months, (but very tiny) and fits very well in it. It's not as big as I imagined, but I am sure she'll fit comfortably in it for awhile yet. It's a very, very, well made chair, and I really feel like it was a total steal. We have the brick red chenille, and it's soft, easy to wipe clean, and is holding up well so far! Maren LOVES this chair and sits in it all time time!

elliput
02-04-2006, 10:17 AM
You got me thinking - I could buy the insert separately and then make my own slipcover in fabric I really want. This is definitely an option.

I am also starting to think I *need* two chairs. One for each floor. This would give me an excuse to buy both an Anywhere Chair and a Toddlerock. Hmmm....