PDA

View Full Version : Is 15 months too young for a toddler pillow?

sarahsthreads
02-01-2006, 04:02 PM
I ask because Carrie has a doll cradle my grandmother bought her (a very pink, very plastic cradle marked for ages 2+, but that's another story) and it came with a doll-sized pillow. Carrie loves to put her head on the pillow, which is of course way too small for her! I was thinking maybe she would like a pillow of her own, but I'm not sure whether she's old enough.

FWIW, we've used a blanket in Carrie's crib for several months now with no problems, and she has a couple of small plush toys in there already, so I'm not sure why I'm nervous about a pillow.

Thanks for any advice!
Sarah :)

Saartje
02-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Well, she's old enough for it from a SIDS perspective, so you think she'd like it, I'd say go for it.

kaitlinsmommy
02-01-2006, 05:48 PM
DD definitely used an adult pillow around that time.

Karenn
02-01-2006, 06:11 PM
I read somewhere that children should not use a pillow until they are two.

Both of my kids got toddler pillows around their first birthdays. It made a huge positive difference in how well my DS slept.

bee
02-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Where do you find toddler pillows?

Ohio_Mom
02-02-2006, 12:25 AM
I gave my daughter a toddler pillow at 14 months, and starting the first night she used it she FINALLY slept all through the night (after waking up 3-5 times a night every night until that day). I guess a little comfort goes a long way, LOL!

I ordered her a toddler pillow from One Step Ahead. They have regular ones and memory foam ones, and I got the memory foam one. But they are a perfect size for a starter pillow, especially while the child is still in the crib.

zuzu
02-02-2006, 05:43 AM
I think DD started using a small pillow at around 14 months. We got ours at Pottery Barn Kids. They have down (probably a down/feather blend) and synthetic, and cost $6. Their cases were more expensive than the pillows. DD's friened uses the memory foam one from OSA and really likes it. I've heard that places like Bed, Bath & Beyond also carry smaller pillows.

DD likes her toddler pillows so much that she won't sleep with a standard-sized pillow - we still have to take hers everywhere!

mudder17
02-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Kaya got the Walking Ballerina Pillow when she was 21 months old: http://natural-blessings.com/pillows.html

I would have gotten it for her earlier, but she didn't show an interest. She does really like that pillow, though and I'll sometimes see her sleeping on her lambie (which she's used as a pillow since around 8 months) and then on the pillow. Or sometimes I'll see her just using the pillow. Or other days, she won't use the pillow at all. Anyway, at 6 months, she got the lambie and at a year, she got her other stuffed animals. They've been in there for some time, so it's why I decided if she wanted one, a pillow would be okay. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

Karenn
02-02-2006, 10:29 AM
My kids sleep on "travel pillows" from REI. They are the same size as the ones from pottery barn, OSA, etc. but they are much cheaper. I had my MIL make pillow cases.

sarahsthreads
02-02-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm glad to hear there are other kids Carrie's age with pillows out there. I was looking at this one from Mr. Bobbles Blankets: http://mrbobblesblankets.com/detail.aspx?ID=34 It's a little more than I'd ordinarily spend, but the fabrics are so cute and the size seems perfect. Maybe I'll go ahead and order it this weekend...

Sarah :)

lfp2n
02-02-2006, 03:15 PM
I like the feel of Memory Foam but just returned 2 pillows for myself because the chemical smell from them was so strong it gave me a headache. I think its the antibacterial treatment of the foam, as we have a thin layer in our futon mattress and I get a whiff now and then from that. I do have a very strong sense of smell, I'd like to get DD a memory foam one if it doesn't smell.

Lucy DD 3/03

gogo548
02-03-2006, 03:51 PM
I'd like to get DD a pillow too (she's 14 mo). I just checked out the One Step Ahead one, but, did you notice it states "Not for use in crib"?

DD won't be outgrowing her crib for some time.

gogo

JElaineB
02-04-2006, 01:01 PM
They're just saying that for CYA purposes. We used the OSA pillow in DS's crib, though he was closer to 2 years old.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

mommato2boys
02-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Thank you for this website!!! I found some adorable construction pillow cases that I know the boys will love, and I have been meaning to get Owen a pillow of his own to start using, so this was perfect. Very easy, I even used paypal!

mommato2boys
02-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Thank you for this website!!! I found some adorable construction pillow cases that I know the boys will love, and I have been meaning to get Owen a pillow of his own to start using, so this was perfect. Very easy, I even used paypal!