PDA

View Full Version : Art Activities for 18-month old baby

Nicodemus
02-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi,
Does anyone know of any good art projects/activities that you can do with an 18-month old? He isn't interested in crayons so that's out. Or do you know of any good books that includes these kinds of activities for little ones? Thanks, in advance!

Best,
Diane

sdbc
02-05-2006, 09:44 PM
You could start with play dough, maybe. I'm thinking that if he isn't interested in crayons, anything with a paint brush would be out. I would keep giving him the opportunity to use crayons, though. Finger paints might be an option. We're waiting until spring weather to do this outside.

Beth568
02-05-2006, 10:46 PM
How brave are you? ;)

When my DD1 was that age, she loved playdough, finger paints (I'd either do it outside, or cover the floor with plastic and cover her with a big tshirt), and "painting" with water. She really needed the tactile feedback that came with those activities, and she wasn't as interested in crayons until later. She also really liked painting activities that involved tools - for example, we'd get a flat box, put paper in the bottom, squirt some paint on the paper, and then put in a couple of golf balls and shake or tilt the box to roll them around so that the balls spread the paint around the paper. Or I'd let her drive a little car through some paint, run a comb through it, smush sponges in it, etc - all things that felt, sounded and looked different from a traditional paint brush.

Of course, it's always a mess - but it's not too hard to hose them down. :)

mominjune
02-06-2006, 03:03 AM
Beth, I love your ideas, I just don't think I'm brave enough! I'll have to try some of those things in the summer. ;)

Love to hear more ideas since my DD is 20 months.

jhaud
02-06-2006, 11:02 AM
i'm loving some of these ideas too! my 18 mo dd still puts everything in her mouth. she really likes biting the tips off of crayons, so they come out only occassionally to see what she does with them, if she starts "eating" them i put them away again! yes! they are non-toxic, but i don't want to see rainbow poop!

looking forward to seeing more suggestions!

Beth568
02-06-2006, 11:59 AM
I thought of another one that we used to love - and it's not even really messy! :)

Take some contact paper and glue, tape or staple it to a piece of cardboard, leaving the sticky side face up. Then your toddler can "glue" things to the contact paper - pieces of construction paper, cotton balls, pieces of felt, feathers, buttons, whatever - and create something without actually using glue. And it gives them a huge sense of accomplishment, because it's virtually failsafe - everything sticks easily to the contact paper. As my DD1 got a little older, we'd cut out people shapes from the contact paper, and work on sticking on eyes, mouths, clothes, etc.

luckymom
02-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Hi-

I found two books I like - First Art http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0876592221/sr=1-1/qid=1139246398/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-1531151-6085768?%5Fencoding=UTF8
, and the Toddler Busy Book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0671317741/ref=pd_sim_b_2/102-1531151-6085768?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155.

At 18 months my little one is just starting to get interested in these kinds of activities. He does like to paint and use crayons, I found some beeswax crayons that are big blocks so they are a bit less tempting to eat or put up his nose (or in his ears, etc etc). He hates the feeling of finger paint on his hands, so I put some blobs in a heavy duty freezer bag, and let him fingerpaint through the bag. He seems to have fun, and actually the paint has stayed wet enough to keep using for a couple of weeks now.

Have fun!