PDA

View Full Version : Pottery Barn Wooden Play Food

purpleeyes
02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
So, just a week ago we splurged and bought the PB wooden food group play food set.

I love it and DS is having tons of fun, but the paint has already begun to chip! I am annoyed. :( The tomato and orange are chipped, but DS was throwing those (as they looked like balls) so I kind of understood, but now the hamburger and then buns, too!

Just wondering-do you think I should bring the food plus the receipt back to the store for some sort of refund, esp. since it has only been about a week? Would they even do something like that? Maybe I could call...

Thanks!

Beth

ett
02-10-2006, 09:20 PM
I think if you bring the food back with the receipt, they will refund your money. I bought the wooden gas station before Christmas and ended up returning it because several pieces were already chipped when I opened it. The stuff looked nice, but the quality just doesn't seem very good, especially for the prices they charge.

Also, I've seen the wooden food sets at Pottery Barn and some of them looked exactly like the Melissa and Doug wooden food sets. So you could probably get them elsewhere for cheaper, though they will still chip very easily. We have several M&D wooden food sets and they started chipping from day 1. I'm just learning to live with the chipped wooden foods. For things like wooden blocks that I want to last much longer, I'm buying Haba.

Ohio_Mom
02-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Just wanted to second the suggestion to go with wooden food and other toys from Haba. We have several of their wood food pieces and they are GREAT quality. My daughter definitely doesn't play with them gently, and they all still look like new.

brittone2
02-11-2006, 03:00 PM
I just wanted to add that I love Haba too, but for anyone reading this and not aware already, please know that the Haba food is really quite quite small (totally different scale than Melissa and Doug or PB food). The bananas for example are probably only 2.5 inches long and the diameter of a dime?? There are lots of things that would easily be chokable if you have a child that still puts things in their mouth.

We bought some when DS was rather young but I put most of it away until he was probably 18 months or so...at that point he wasn't putting it in his mouth. Most of the things would fit down a "choke tube" measurement wise.

Just something to think about for anyone reading who doesn't know about the size. The quality is great, however.