PDA

View Full Version : canvas toy storage bins - which do you like? BRU, Company Store, etc.?

joyful mommy
02-10-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm looking for canvas storage bins for toys, books, stuffed animals, etc.

I'm phasing out wicker baskets which begin to crack and break down over time causing little pieces to wind up on the floor, etc. I also had a nice bin that had a metal frame and fabric cover which matched the nursery, but I realized as DS began to become more mobile wasn't such a great idea either -- too easy to fall on the corner and get bruised/hurt on it.

In my searches so far, I've found two sizes at BRU/Amazon, and another one at The Company Store. The sizes are elusive though. I also noticed one on Target's website.

Has anyone purchased any of these or seen them IRL? Do you have any suggestions based on what you've seen or used? Are there other places to find these that I may have missed?

Also, if there are other good solutions you have to offer for our toy storage I'd be glad to hear them also.

Thanks in advance for any comments and ideas! :)

redhookmom
02-10-2006, 10:01 PM
There are lots of canvas bins at WalMart right now. I was checking them out today. I was wondering how easy/hard they would be to clean. I did end up buying two small ones.

ctmom
02-11-2006, 06:53 AM
Michael's craft store has a great selection, as well as Bed Bath and Beyond.

AddiesMom
02-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Hi-

I just purchased soft canvas totes at Land's End and I love them. It used to just come in small pink but they just added more sizes and colors a few weeks ago. The 3 sizes are $19, $29 and $39, + $5 for monogram. I got the pink/natural small & medium for DD and ordered the small pacific blue/natural as a baby gift for a friend.

Small Pink-
http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_678_64930_131862_110309_5:view=-1,00.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_754&sid=4371136309896183952

Other colors and sizes-
http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_678_64930_137926_116353_5:view=-1,00.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_754&sid=4371136309896183952

You need to click on "select" to see the other colors.

Michelle

BaileyBea
02-11-2006, 10:21 AM
I've been looking for canvas bags for months now. I almost bought some at Pottery Barn on sale but found some at Target (canvas cubes) for $9.99 that I couldn't pass up.

So far I really like them. They are a little deeper than I thought but that's goood if you have a lot of toys.

Pottery Barn has some new round ones that are really nice but they are $19.99 and they are smaller than the Target Canvas Cubes.

Good luck.. HTH

sophiesmom
02-11-2006, 11:42 AM
I just bought 3 of the Target ones, they are on sale for $8. I bought the mesh type ones. They are lightweight and hold a lot! I am using one for DDs dress up clothes. The other 2 for stuffed animals and misc stuff in the kids room (i just doubled up DD and DS since #3 is due any day!).

AddiesMom
02-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Best wishes on #3!

The Container Store (I think they are mostly West Coast, East Coast and Texas, plus the web) also has mesh ones, 4 sizes... white, hot pink and royal blue.

Michelle

joyful mommy
02-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks for your replies thus far. I've tried to just take a look on the websites mentioned at each of your suggestions.

The BBB natural canvas one has a metal frame which I'm trying to move away from. The mesh ones don't seem quite what I'm looking for at this point, but I do think they're cute for another decor, another time. I like the PBK ones very much. I wish they were slightly larger (or at least had a large and small option available). The PBK stuff looks a lot like the BRU stuff on amazon.com I think (even the colors) -- with some different pieces in each collection. I like the Land's End totes/cubes and especially the different sizes available, but I was hoping not to spend quite that much on toy/book storage bags right now. I know they would be sturdy and top quality though -- I'm a big LE fan!

Given price, color options, and apparent size, I'm leaning toward the BRU or Company Kids cubes at this point.

I'm still very curious about the size and quality of the Company Kids canvas cubes. Has anyone else tried these? How big are they and are you happy with them?

Thanks again to those who've responded and to anyone else who might have additional comments! :)

jodi_b
02-11-2006, 11:44 PM
I have some of the smaller sized canvas cubes from BRU. They're about 9" deep, 10" wide, and 10.5" long. I also have and like the coordinating organizer for over the door. I returned the larger sized canvas bin because it didn't have sturdy sides like the smaller ones do. It might work well for blankets or laundry, but I don't think it would work as well for toys.

I can't compare the BRU bins to The Company Store, PBK, etc. since I haven't seen those IRL, but I'm happy with the ones from BRU.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32187.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32188.jpg

Jodi

kozachka
02-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Wow, both your DC closet and book-shelves are so well organized :) ! Ours is not even close, although I am pretty happy with the result of my latest (as of yesterday) attempts at organizing DS books.

new_mommy25
02-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Where did you get your closet organizer?

sophiesmom
02-12-2006, 04:44 PM
We are exactly (to the day) the same pregnant! Good luck to you!

joyful mommy
02-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Wow Jodi!

Your DC's closet looks great and I love your bookshelf setup too! :) I think the BRU bins are adorable in there. Maybe I'll go with them for the nursery. I'm thinking about trying a couple of the Company Kids bins for the living room -- better color match. I'll need to use something in there if I replace those baskets too.

Do you know if the BRU bins are available in the store or if they're available only on-line? I may be near one of their stores next week and might pick them up in person to save the shipping.

Thanks so much for the pictures. They are great and were helpful. I had thought of putting three bins in/under a window seat. I haven't gotten that far yet though. My DCs nursery was a great picture before birth and for the next few months -- now I seem to be picking up and re-arranging all the time. :) I do get lots of help from my happy helper little DC now too though! :) Learning to put toys away can be great fun and a neat accomplishment.

Congratulations and best wishes on everone's new little arrivals!

jodi_b
02-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Elena - It's easy to be organized *now* since our Elena isn't here yet and I'm trying to stay busy while WAITING. Once she's here and old enough to get things out on her own and 'help' put them back, I'm sure it will be a VERY different story. :-)

Angie - The metal closet organizer was $25 at Wal-Mart. I thought it was a great deal, but DH disagreed as he was installing it! It really wouldn't have been difficult to install except that the closet is only a couple feet deep and fairly wide. That didn't leave him much room to work.

Stephanie - How fun! I hope your new addition arrives soon and that you're blessed with healthy baby and quick, uncomplicated delivery!

Joyful Mommy - I'm glad the pics were helpful. My local BRU has the bins in stock as well as some additional coordinating accessories that aren't available online.

Jodi

jvs195
02-13-2006, 04:00 PM
I have both the mesh and canvas bins from Target and like both-but especially the canvas ones. Target has been pushing the $8-$10 ones on end caps and there are some in the Children's furniture area, but I found some for $5.99 (they were 2/$11 a couple weeks ago) hidden in the auto section. They have lots of colors, are about 10 x 10 x 12. They fit my Expedit shelf from Ikea perfectly, have handles are foldaway, but hold a lot of toys. I was thinking if I have time I might iron on some letters or patches or fabric paint to identify the contents, but that's for when I have more time (when will that be?)

joyful mommy
02-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the additional Target mention. Sounds like I should try to get to a Target store to see what they have in stock before making my final decision. I'm getting the picture that they sometimes have things for less $$ in store than on the web.

I understand the time question too -- I've had projects waiting for some time now! I did a lot more of that type of thing pre-DC. I'm hoping to get going on my list again soon too! :)

brittone2
02-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. We just got our Expedit shelves and I want a few canvas bins. I'm planning on putting toys on open shelves mostly but would like a few containers. I'm glad to know they fit well :)

firsttimemommy
02-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I had two of the mesh bins from Target and within weeks of very very little use the plastic wire frame part on the tops of the cube broke throught the fabric and poked out, so I returned them. It was a bummer b/c they are super cute and cheap!

I'll be looking for canvas bins too soon so I'll be anxious to hear what you decide on. I like the company store ones too.

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

quinnsmom
02-16-2006, 06:54 PM
We actually got our at Lowes and love them - they work great.

We bought one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=176909-77268-0869400&lpage=none

But we got the nine cube mahagony unit and only bought one door for the center and the canvas cubes for the rest of the cubicles.

joyful mommy
02-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Ronda and Michelle,

Thanks for these latest tips. I'm hoping to get out to look this weekend, so I'm glad to have your input before heading out. :)

If I decide to order the Company Kids bins next week, I'll let everyone know what I think when I receive them.

Dee150
02-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the Expedit mention! I was actually thinking of measuring my IKEA basket that fits, so I could shop for canvas cubes.
Thanks!

Devinsmom
03-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi! I've been admiring your storage cabinet! I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me where you bought it?
TIA