PDA

View Full Version : $30 video monitor find

jkreusc
02-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I was looking through my usual allotment of tool catalogs I got in the mail when I found something I never expected to find. Something for the nursury.

They were selling a Black and White security video camera with night vision for $30. It requires hard-wiring but it includes everything in the box you need to hook it up to one TV. The picture is good and displays on my 32" TV just fine, but the sound is just so-so. I figure the baby monitor will take care of that part of the equation. Since it is wired into the bedroom as well, we can roll over in the night, turn on the TV and check on things.

Here's a link to buy it online:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47546

They also have stores in a lot of cities if you want to buy in-person.

There's a color model that goes for $60, but I didn't see the need.

I hard installed it through my attic (don't worry, I'm the dad, no risk to baby) and split it to all the TV's in my house using some additional parts and know how. If you have DirecTV and would like a wiring diagram to do this, let me know. (Hint: you will need an RF modulator in the attic and a diplexer for each TV)

jkreusc
02-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Found out that the night vision is not what it's cracked up to be. It works, but needs assistance from a 15 watt bulb or so.