PDA

View Full Version : While we're on the subject of boosters...

s_gosney
02-13-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm trying to decide what our next step should be. DD (27 months) doesn't mind sitting in her FP high chair with the tray removed and just pushed up to the table, but I'm assuming this may not last much longer. We have a cheapie booster seat at my mom's that she loves to use either sitting on the floor or in a chair. The problem with getting one for our house is that we have a cheapo dining room set with realy lightweight chairs that are easily tipped. DH doesn't want to get a kinderzeat because of the price, so I'm not sure what to do. My dd is pretty small though (maybe 26 lbs, not sure on height), so while that extends the life of boosters, I'm afraid that it will also lengthen the amount of time till she can sit in a big chair w/o any boost.
Also, after looking at the poll, I looked at the FP healthy care booster and found this description on Amazon..."To ensure a safe experience, the seat fits most chairs and car seats (but double check your brand), and has a 3-point harness to secure tots while in a chair or car seat." Maybe this is a dumb question, but how exactly does the car seat part work? Are they saying that it will fit on the seat of the car so the child can sit there to eat (while the car is stationary?) or what? When I first read it I was imagining putting it in my Britax, but surely that's not what they mean...
Thanks for any answers you can provide!

o_mom
02-13-2006, 11:21 AM
We went from the highchair w/o tray to a Cooshie Booster. It doesn't slip on the chair like the hard plastic ones do. Easy to clean as it is all one piece with no corners to catch crud. DS is 28 mos and can get in and out with a little bit of help.

luckymom
02-13-2006, 07:29 PM
I second the Cushie - we just moved our 18 month old from his highchair to it, he loves it, and I love that it is sooooo easy to clean up. Great for taking out to friends houses, etc as well.

Canna
02-13-2006, 10:21 PM
IKEA makes a "Child Highchair" (as opposed to infant highchair) called Hepola that comes in white or antique stain and looks kind of cute. We're thinking of getting one for our DD when she gets a little older. It looks like a regular chair but with a higher seat. The cost is only 29.99!

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15567&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=11084&langId=-1&parentCats=15567*15659*15667

kali
02-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Your main question seems to be about how the FP Healthy Care booster works with carseats or in cars, and the answer is IT DOESN'T. The HC booster is a substitute for a highchair for feeding, and has nothing to do with a booster seat for the car.

I don't know what the heck the Amazon description is referring to, but please ignore the misinformation: don't use the FP booster in the car!

ctmom
02-14-2006, 08:46 AM
It CANNOT be put in a car seat!!! I don't know what they are thinking...For our 5yo we use a "youth chair tall" that we purchased unfinished and painted. I attached the website from the store we bought it from (11-450)
http://www.millstores.com/display.ccml?129,0,1387667,cc1387667,,,Index,src@y outh+chair.html

We are waiting for it to go on sale so we can get another for our 26 month old, who is starting to fight us about her highchair...I've also seen them at other unfinished wood stores and sometimes at craft stores that sell unfinished wood furniture.

HTH!!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

s_gosney
02-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions. I like the cooshie, but with our tippy chair problem, I'm thinking that one of the tall chairs the other posters mentions will be a good solution. Hopefully our local unfinished wood place will have something similar.
Oh, and about the whole FP booster in the car issue..don't worry. I would never put it in the car seat or use it in place of a car seat. I was just intrigued by Amazon's description. Maybe I should email them to get it changed. There may just be someone out there who would try it...
thanks again!

kijip
02-14-2006, 02:50 PM
We have that chair. Be careful, I have found that it is pretty tippy, especially as Toby tries to climb into it. He has had more than 1 tumble :( ! We still use it and Toby learned fast how to sit on it but if I had hard floors I might have taken it away from him. I would say it is safer closer to 2 and 1/2 or 3 years of age when some kids get better about sitting.