PDA

View Full Version : Traveling alone from NY to China w/11-month old

mommamillie
02-15-2006, 09:05 AM
We're using miles so are flying business class and we went ahead and got her a seat. any advice on whether I should bring the car seat on the plane or not? I've seen other kids sleeping on the ground on the plane... She naps well in the carseat but I can't imagine her sleeping overnight in it.

thanks so much!!

Momof3Labs
02-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Yes, absolutely bring her a car seat. Otherwise, she will have to sit in her own seat with the seat belt whenever the fasten seat belt light is on - I don't know too many 11 month olds who would do that!

Plus, the car seat will protect her should there be any turbulence (or worse) on the flight.

Beth568
02-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Absolutely take it on the plane. She'll be safer and you'll both be more comfortable (those big airplane seats are much too wide for a little one like that - the seat belt won't adequately restrain her). It will be fine for some of the flight to get up and walk around, but not for hours on end. If she's secure in the car seat, which is familiar to her, she'll more likely sit happily and let you read to her or otherwise entertain her. If you need to take her out so you can hold her to sleep, etc., you can do that.

mariza
02-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Check with the airline, but I beleive if you have a seat for her, she has to be in a carseat.

sashaa
02-15-2006, 01:47 PM
I got a question.. I am travelling about that far with my 11-month DD also. I didn't buy her a seat but if I bring the carseat with me and if they have an empty seat onboard, do you think they will let me use it?

niccig
02-15-2006, 02:32 PM
It depends on the airline. I know people have done that flying domestically, but I'm not sure if it's an international flight or if the airline is based in another country. Airlines are governed by the laws of their home country and not the port of departure.

aliceinwonderland
02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
I have flown twice internationally with my son, once at 3-4 months, and once at 20 months.

Edited because I saw you have already bought the seat...In that case I'd definatley bring the carseat on :)

mommyj_2
02-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Just as a warning, if you do decide to bring the seat, definitely call the airline to see how big the seat can be. We've taken DS' Marathon on several domestic flights, but when we tried to take it on the flight to China, they said it was too big. We insisted on trying it, and sure enough, it was too big.
I've done 2 flights to China without a car seat, and it's totally doable. Most people don't bring them. One of the flights was an insanely bumpy ride the whole way (the bumpiest flight I've ever been on to China), and I just held DS in my lap tightly. He always needed to nurse during turbulation anyway, so I would have been holding him anyway. If the seat will fit and you have a place to keep it once you're in China, then go ahead and bring it. We brought our seat because we needed to drive 3 hours from the airport and relatives had a car. If we were riding in taxis, I wouldn't bring it, since none of them have seat belts in the back seats.
HTH

kozachka
02-15-2006, 06:48 PM
I'd bring the car seat. Business class seats are bigger so more likely to accomodate a car seat but be sure to call the airline. We bought Cosco Touriva just for travel, it is much lighter and easier to handle than Marathon and was only about $40 plus tax from Walmart.

The two times that we flew to Europe from the States DS slept during the 'night' on the East-bound flight but not when I flew with him to the States. During DS' first cross-Atlantic flight, a 10.5 flight from LAX to Amsterdam, DS slept for maybe 2 hours and than proceded to waking up every 10-15 mins. Finally, I put him next to me, kind of spooning, and he slept for couple more hours, waking up intermittenly. I was so happy we were in business class, I could not have done this in economy. During his second Europe-bound flight DS was not as excited and slept more in his car-seat, maybe 3 hrs. He would have slept more but it was a shorter flight (from the East coast) and he woke up as soon as they started serving breakfast.

Have a good flight and let us know how it goes.

mommamillie
02-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks SO much for your replies! very helpful :)

mommamillie
02-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Where did your baby sleep w/o the carseat? DD will be too big for the bassinet, though I have heard that they have cardboard bassinets that they put on the ground?

mommyj_2
02-15-2006, 09:31 PM
He slept on my lap. When I got tired, he slept on DH's lap. I wouldn't put him on the floor, just because you never know when there might be sudden turbulence. But, I know people have different comfort levels with traveling with infants/toddlers.