PDA

View Full Version : How to get dh to buy into cost of kinderzeat?

jacksmomtobe
02-17-2006, 11:40 AM
I was originally looking for a booster seat for ds and he no longer wants to sit in his high chair. He wants to sit in the "big chair" now. In talking with a child dev expert at a place we take classes she recommended the kinderzeat. I then came here and looked into it on the board and it seems like everyone is pretty happy with this product. I really didn't want a flimsy booster seat and this looks like a really nice alternative. I'm not sure that dh will buy into the cost (the best price I found was $170). Any ideas on how to make my case that this seat is a good investment and worth the extra expense?

Thanks!

brittone2
02-17-2006, 02:15 PM
My DS is close in age...he just turned 2 recently. He's been using his since he was about 20 months I think?

DS definitely sits longer and is happier in his KZ than he was in his high chair. For me the major selling point is the length of use for this thing. Even for a 7 or 8 year old, sitting in an adult sized chair at a regular table isn't ideal in terms of being able to serve themselves and use good posture (yes there are exceptions, but the adjustability of the KZ is a huge plus). It can be used through adulthood. I'm short and I've also found it handy to have as a step stool :)

I definitely think it is possible to get by without something like the KZ but since my DS hated the high chair...it has absolutely been worth it for us.

Oh, we also have Parsons style dining chairs (covered in microfiber) and it is nice to not have him getting them all icked up with food ;) We used a wooden booster with him for a while and it worked okay (he still uses it occasionally) but the KZ is much better.

If you are a big fan of the sort of Montessori-esque approach, it really facilitates independence because they can independently climb in/out, eat at the table and learn better table manners as a result, and I think it helped DS not be into spilling/playing with food as much once he was eating in a more adult-fashion at the regular table.

I'd market it to your DH as a product DC can use for years. Several people have mentioned their kids used it as a computer chair when they got older.

applesauce
02-17-2006, 11:35 PM
If you pro-rate the cost over the life of the chair it is actually inexpensive relative to a high chair.

But why don't you consider the Kettler junior high chair at Great Beginning with a 15% off code for $85. It's wood and easy to clean and it is also adjustable. It can only be used to 100 pounds, but we have been happy with ours and expect to use it for several years.

mypa
02-18-2006, 02:12 AM
In addition to all the good comments the PP's have said the way I looked at it was that I didn't have to 'justify' the expense because it was like getting a piece of furniture for my child, not a baby product to be used only for a few months. I have a dining chair to sit on, so does my husband, the KZ (or alternative) is just another dining chair but for my child.

Good luck to you!

hobokenmom
02-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi. I just wanted to mention that I have two kinderzeats in cherry that are at my dining room table (where we eat every single meal). My older two kids have been using them for about 4 years or so. My oldest is going to be nine next month, and he's still still in a kinderzeat.

I guess I'm going to have to boot him out of his kinderzeat as soon as my youngest will need it. He's 19 months and still find in his highchair, but at some point he'll move to the kinderzeat.

Definitely worth the money in the end. I can't tell you how many people come over and admire out kinderzeats.

Good luck!!

kali
02-19-2006, 01:39 AM
The kinderzeat is one of those things that everyone raves about so much that you kind of expect to be underwhelmed. I'm like that, anyway. DH and I were impressed with its features and positive reviews, but truthfully, a big part of the reason we bought it is that we're redoing our kitchen and it is so cool-looking, LOL.

We thought it lived to the hype, though. Here's why we love it:
*At 17 months, DS could climb into and out of it himself. No danger of tipping.
*It's much more comfortable for him than a booster, b/c he has a footrest.
*It's completely adjustable. I've heard of grownups using it; in any case we expect DS will be using it for years.
*It's truly sturdy. Last week, someone literally dropped it down the stairs (don't ask--eyeroll) and it was fine.
*Our very snooty architect called it a "cool structural piece" :-)

For us, it was well worth the money, but that of course depends on your budget and what features you value. (By the way, $170 is a really good price.) There are some comparable alternatives that are little less spendy, like the OneStepAhead Euro Highchair. And by the way, there's nothing wrong with a booster. We love love the FP Healthy Care booster. We used it until we got the KZ, and my mom and sister both have one for DS to use at their houses.

jacksmomtobe
02-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all your feedback. I actually didn't have any trouble getting dh to buy into the kinderzeat. I showed him their brochure and he seemed ok with it even after I mentioned the price. I'm glad to hear though that everyone finds them worth the price and useful. I'm also happy to hear that they aren't tippable since I was a bit concerned about that. Now I'll go to our local place and take a closer look at the wood samples before making my choice.

Thanks again!

hardysmom
02-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Heck, after breastfeeding 22 mo, you have worked off whatever darn chair you want. Take it out of the formula savings money! ;)

I nursed my twins 18 mo... when they weaned, it was bittersweet.

Stephanie