PDA

View Full Version : Wild Baby Animals magazine review?

sdbc
02-18-2006, 08:35 AM
We're considering getting a subscription for Rory. Can anyone tell us what they like/don't like? Is it too heavy on baby animals and not enough on grown animals? Does it have other nature things besides animals?

Rory is almost 2, and we've gotten Babybug since birth, I think (gift from Grandma). She still likes Babybug, but she's getting a little advanced for it--we're going to switch our subscription to the next level up. Is Wild Baby Animals at the same level, or is it a little higher?

Thanks!

Sue

amp
02-18-2006, 08:51 AM
We love Wild Animal Baby. We've gotten it for two years. Jake's interest in it goes in spurts, but I think it's great and we keep all the old issues, so he does go back to them periodically.

There are moms and babies in it. There are some animals you will have never heard of! There is a page that has colors and puts pics of various things (animal and not) that are that color. There's a matching page. There's a 3-4 page story section, usually about a family or kids that are exploring or learning about something nature related. It's a pretty neat magazine and just right for little ones! And the real life pics are fantastic!

I have no idea how it compares, age-wise, to Babybug, but i think the age recommendation on Wild Animal Baby is to age 3 or so. Then the recommendation switches to "My Big Backyard" or something similar. We may switch this winter when Jacob's subscrip. runs out.

ett
02-18-2006, 09:45 AM
My sister got DS a subscription to Wild Animal Baby for Christmas and we just got our first issue. DS is enjoying it and we've already read it several times. Andrea described pretty well what's in each issue. I think it is comparable to Babybug since it is for up until age 3.

Your Big Backyard is the next level up after Wild Animal Baby. It's for ages 3 to 7. I flipped through that and it looked too advanced for DS which is why we went with Wild Animal Baby even though he is already 2 1/2. I also believe you can switch to the next magazine anytime during your subscription.

There's also Click magazine (same publisher as Babybug) which is a science magazine for ages 3 to 7. That one was also a little too advanced for DS and way more expensive.

nfowife
02-18-2006, 11:40 PM
I've given WAB to 2 families as gifts and they've both raved (one for a 1-year old bday present and another for a 2 year old present).

Eloise36
02-19-2006, 03:20 AM
We have a one year subscription to WBA. DS is almost 2 1/2 and loves getting his monthly magazine. I usually put a couple of issues into my diaper bag as our going out books, because it's something he loves to look at when we are out for lunch, in church or in a waiting room. I don't think the focus is exclusively on baby animals, and I think DS (and I) have learned a lot from reading these books as there are some animals featured that I have never heard of.

After our current subscription runs out, I plan to get DS a subscription to the Big Backyard.

HTH!

amp
02-19-2006, 10:48 AM
I was just thinking about this post and something that occured to me, is that I believe the name is "Wild Animal Baby", not Wild Baby Animals. Now, the reason I make that differentiation is that you wondered if the focus was on baby animals and I replied that it wasn't. I don't think they are using wild baby animals all the time. On the contrary, while I do think they do have baby animals, the them is more like "wild animal. Baby. As in, that's who it's directed at as an audience. Baby. Make sense? I really don't mean this as anything other than thinking aloud and trying to reassure you that it's focus is not on baby animals per se.

sdbc
02-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Ah, I think you are right about the name!

Thanks everybody. I think we are going to go for it. And it's nice to know we can switch to My Big Backyard if/when it is too babyish.

Sue

o_mom
02-19-2006, 11:53 AM
If you want to check it out first, try your library. I know ours keeps the back issues for checkout. That's where I get BabyBug, since I can't bring myself to pay their prices.

jadamom
02-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Just ordered both Wild Animal Baby and Big Backyard on ebay for under $10 each subscription. $20 each is just too much. (Note: we donate to the World Wildlife Fund separately.)