PDA

View Full Version : Easter Baskets

crl
02-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Target's Dollar Spot has some Easter things so I thought I'd start a thread on Easter Baskets. I'd love to hear everyone's ideas. I got some great ones here last year.

Target finds:
--Playing cards (don't know what game, but they are egg shapped and only cost a dollar.)
--playdough toys
--Peter Rabbit book

Other ideas:
--playsilks (did this last year and they were/are a huge hit)
--bubbles
--sidewalk chalk (did this last year and will do it again this year)
--Cheddar bunnies (like goldfish, but bunny shaped--found them at Whole Foods)
--shaker eggs or other instruments
--pinwheels (I'm hoping to find some IRL as it is too much to pay shipping on something so cheap)

Also, any ideas for what to put in Easter eggs for an Easter Egg Hunt? I'd rather avoid candy.

Thanks!

new_mommy25
02-19-2006, 02:14 PM
This Easter I'm trying really hard to keep it simple. I tried to last year but I went way overboard and spent way too much money.

So far I have bought:
Kite from Costco (great find!!)
Outer Space playset from hearthsong http://tinyurl.com/8e76s

I plan on buying:
chocolate bunny
book (whatever strikes my fancy at Borders, last year it was Runaway Bunny)
playdoh

And thats it!! Last year we did 2 books, a parachute, bubbles, bubble horn, shaker eggs and animals, and a bunch of other stuff and it ended up being way too much for DS. This year we already have a ton of art supplies, bubbles, chalk etc. so I don't DS doesn't need anything like that.

I'm sure you will be able to find the pinwheels at Target or Walmart closer to Easter. They're usually everywhere. I got one last year at a craft store (Ben Franklin).

As for stuffing your Easter eggs, how about stickers, raisins, and goldfish? Thats what I did last year. I'll probably do that again this year and I'll have a few ones with jelly beans as well.

purpleeyes
02-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Oh, I love the goldfish/raisins idea-thanks!

Fisher Price Little People have Easter themed kids that we will get DS-we got him one last year and he still plays with it. They have a cute one this year-a little kid dressed up like a bunny.

Thanks for starting this thread-good ideas!

Beth

kimbe
02-19-2006, 07:21 PM
DH and I were just talking about this. Can't wait to hear all the ideas.

I LOVE LOVE the pinwheel idea! DD will go crazy!

We don't want to go too crazy because DD's grandparents are out of control.

So far, we have come up with a few books, a rain gauge, something religious, and if she decides that she is actually going to eat something solid we'll throw that in too. (Avocado, banana, sweet potato -- whatever.)

kboyle
02-19-2006, 09:39 PM
I plan on doing a big basket for DS1 and a little basket for DS2, then next year, DS2 will get the big basket and DS1 will get the little one, and switch every year.

DS1:
-new undies (since we are doing good PTing, and hopefully he'll be fully PT'd by April)
-playsilks
-raisins & crasins, gummy snacks, goldfish,hershey's kisses & a few gummy worms and jelly beans in the plastic eggs (i'm a-ok with candy!)
-some book
-some DVD
-shakers
-new sippy or straw cup

DS2:
-new binkies
-playsilk
-possibly a back-up blankie
-cloth book
-a weeble or two or little people (something that MAY fit into a plastic egg

I'm sooo excited now that DS1 is starting to get into the holidays and presents! We'll also do a basket hunt with clues or pictures that lead to the basket.

I just got them their Easter outfits this weekend, just a botton-up shirt each from the Gap that was on sale for $3.97! I still need to find a cute hat for each of them too, hopefully I can find newspaper boy/cabbie hats.
-

Babywhite
02-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Since DD was so young last spring, we didn't buy her a lot of outside toys. I decided to buy those type of items for her Easter basket this year.

So far (from Target)...

water boats, little sand trucks, sand sifters, watering can, small shovel set, small sand dump trucks

3D Butterfly kite (from Sams Club -- it is beautiful!)

1 DVD

Easter eggs with Easter LP and/or something healthy to eat

R.W.

cindylouhoo
02-20-2006, 11:51 AM
I'd like ideas for my DS who will only be 3 1/2 mos. at Easter. I know the basket is more for me ; ) than him, but I want to do something special for our firstborn. We had tried to get pg for 6 years, so we are very excited to have him. So far I've only bought a cute duck hand puppet from Gymboree. For the basket I think I'll order this Longaberger basket to use each year:

http://www.longaberger.com/cgi-bin/bv/products/product_detail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&channelID=-536880339&productId=60718&selectedFeaturePath=/New_Products/Features/Families/%3C!--007--%3EFebruary_Features

Then I thought about getting some baby sunglasses (any suggestions?). What else would be cute for an infant?

'll

traciann
02-20-2006, 12:16 PM
for an infant...i would probably do stuff for solid food. Spoons, bowls, sippy cups. (we like the take n toss) plastic bibs maybe biter biscuits. I know you can't use them now, but eventually you will. You could get the little people easter tubes. Oh maybe egg shakers or a beach ball. The beach ball sounds silly, but my DD at 4 months liked to lay on her back and hold it between her feet and hands. I left it slightly deflated so she could grip it. She loved that. Books are always a good idea. HTH!

I am going kinda light...already thinking about it though. Her birthday party is the following weekend, so I don't want to go too crazy. I am going to get her the Little People easter egg with sara lynn inside and an interactive book. DD really like anything with actions like flaps or the pat the bunny series, so I will find something like that.I will probably add goldfish and animal crackers and thats it unless i find something else I can't live without! :)

Who knew that planning stuff like this would be so much fun for me!!

brittone2
02-20-2006, 01:13 PM
So far the plan for DS is: (he's newly 2)

Egg shaped sidewalk chalk which is a whopping 1.99

Several sticker books that are animal themed (farm animals and Noah's arc). One came from bookcloseouts and one came from AC Moore (they have cute, small little sticker books for right around $1 each).

Some bunny-related books from bookcloseouts.com They had some that came with little pom poms you could stick on the bunnies for tails, and they also had a different book (Bunnytown I think?) that is sort of like a color-forms book.

Egg Shakers (planned on buying online but I found wooden ones at TRU of all places although I have no idea if the quality is decent at all). They were very inexpensive.

Balsa wood airplane (DS loves this and it is something he and his Pop Pop like doing...my dad always gave these to us in our stockings and Easter baskets when we were growing up). This is under $2.

If I get my act together I may try to make him some beanbags but I doubt that will get finished in time ;) I'm not a big sewer ;)

I considered a knobby Gertie ball, as our dog popped ours a few months ago. Since DS getting closer to the age of being able to catch, it is something I want to buy for him anyway.

We'll do an Easter Egg hunt and I think that will be DS's favorite thing. He's very into hide and seek with people right now, so I think he'll enjoy this. We'll probably dye some real eggs, and then fill some plastic eggs with money (he loves money LOL), Annie's bunnies, and some other goodies.

cindylouhoo
02-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Oooh, I love the idea of Pat the Bunny books! And that made me think of the Beatrix Potter books, too. We have dozens of books but not those, yet. What are Little People Easter tubes? I'll look for a beach ball, too. Thanks for those ideas!

traciann
02-20-2006, 01:50 PM
here is a picture...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FISHER-PRICE-new-newer-Little-People-Easter-Tube_W0QQitemZ6036881399QQcategoryZ2527QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

they have a couple of different sets for easter. My dd who is 9 months loves the little animals. You can get them anywhere like target and kohls and i even saw some at my local grocery store in the easter section for about $4.99

traciann
02-20-2006, 01:50 PM
opps double post

Corie
02-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Here is a thread from last year about this same topic.
I got some really great ideas from all the wonderful
suggestions!!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=37&topic_id=182312&mesg_id=182312&listing_type=search

Found another thread on this topic!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=30890&mesg_id=30890&listing_type=search

mommato2boys
02-21-2006, 05:30 PM
For my six year old, I am going to put:
a new gamecube game
trucks and cars
maybe a new wooden truck (haven't decided which one)
Small lego set
playmobil set
Penguins since he is recently obsessed with them! Playmobil has a set that has eight in them! He will love it!
And other odds and ends that I have put away for him

For my 14 month old:
hopefully some new wooden cars (if I can find a site that has them in stock!!!)
some playmobil 123 items
maybe some little people stuff

For easter egg hunts, I bought larger eggs, they are HARD to find, but I found them. They may have orginally been matchbox eggs that I got real cheap after Easter. I have enough to hide, and we hide matchbox cars in them!!!!

winifredzb
02-21-2006, 07:04 PM
A friend of mine did this as a child and does it with her son now: She buys an inexpensive Easter basket, stickers and other "artsy" things and lets him decorate the basket the day before Easter. I think this is a pretty cute idea. I may have to try it this year.

Corie
02-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey Beth!

I've got 2 questions for you!

First, what is an Egg Shaker? Am I a total idiot for
asking this? :) I just have no clue!

Second, where can I buy a Balsa Wood Airplane? My husband
would love to do this with the kids.

You always have such fantastic ideas!! :) I knew that
you would have a great list of goodies!

crl
02-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Not Beth, but I can help with the shaker eggs. They are like a maraca without the handle. They are shaped like eggs and when you shake them, they make noise. We used them at music class and they were a big hit so I bought some. DS still plays with them often, over a year later. Our playmates really like them too. I found ours at a local music store. I am sure they are available online too.

Can't help with the airplanes.

ett
02-22-2006, 09:27 PM
I put these First Act egg shakers in DS's Easter basket last year.

http://www.firstact.com/products/product-details.asp?id=135&back_to=products&rtn=id%3D8

I got them at Toysrus.

mom4eyes
02-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Your idea of Baby Sunglasses is a great one!

Try the Julbo Looping Sunglasses for infants.

http://www.julbousa.com/Products/Kids/Looping.htm
These are DD's favorite. At 15 months, she now puts them on and takes them off all by herself! (When I bought them they did not have the head strap.)
They are a little pricey compared to ones you can find at Gap, Gymboree, and even Baby Banz, but the quality is so much better. I know you'll be happy with them.

Amy
Mom to Gabriella (11/25/2004)

brittone2
02-22-2006, 10:13 PM
The ones above are the same ones I picked up (First Act).

There are plain wooden or plastic shakers available online, but the price was great on these and no shipping since they were TRU. I'm not sure how great they'll be but I figured we'd start with those :)

The balsa wood airplanes are under $2. Hobby shops, independent toy stores, and even Michaels craft store (maybe AC Moore too) tend to carry them. They are just thin wood pieces you snap out and then assemble into a plane that you can throw. They don't last forever but DS has a lot of fun with his. There are also versions with a rubberband you can wind via a little propeller so they'll fly. Obviously these are all things to be used w/ supervision since the balsa wood can splinter, etc. but DS really likes them (he loves planes). They look like this assembled:
http://www.plumcreekmarketing.com/03flyinstuff/05balsagliders.html

Another fun thing which is pricier and much much bulkier (definitely wouldn't fit in a basket LOL) is the giant styrofoam planes. They are around $10 or so? I think DS's came from Michaels too. Anyway, we used to have these from time to time when I was little and it is another thing Logan's grandfather does with him.

Corie
02-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Thought I would post what I plan on putting in my
4-year-old daughter's Easter basket.
(I'm still thinking of ideas for my 16-month-old son!)

My 4-year-old daughter is getting:

*Gamewright games (Hisss, Cuckoo Zoo)
http://www.gamewright.com/gamewright/index.php?section=games&page=index

*Set of Russian nesting dolls
(Thanks to Eileen (mudder17)!!) :)
http://www.bitsandpieces.com/depts/id-49.html

*Easter washcloth in the shape of an egg that opens up in water
from the Dollar Tree store

*Little tiara from Sam Moon (cool store in Dallas, TX area)

*Super cool Bike Bell in purple
http://www.mirrycle.com/jellibell.htm

*Pink, monogrammed kid's apron from Williams-Sonoma
www.williamssonoma.com

*Prissy Poof, still deciding which one to get!
(Thanks to Debbie (ddmarsh)!!) :)
www.prissypoofs.com

Now, what to do for my son?! :)

brittone2
02-22-2006, 10:41 PM
DS has a blue Jellibell...they are very cool!!

We picked one up at a bike shop before he even got his trike. I couldn't resist. It is so easy to ring too :) He's had it a few months now but finally has a trike to put it on ;)

Sounds like a fun list!! :)

kboyle
02-22-2006, 11:20 PM
In Targets new toy aisle (w/the Ryan's room stuff & play kitchen stuff) they have an instrument section that has some animal shakers, egg shakers & maracas, very cute!

ctmom
02-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi Corrie,

did you order the bike bell directly from Mirrycle or did you find it in a local bike shop? I called them to try to find a local dealer but they couldn't help me because they only sell to distributors. If you ordered directly from them, how much was shipping?

Thanks!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Corie
02-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi Mary!

I haven't ordered it yet but I am going to order directly
from the company. They actually have an order form
on their website. Here is the link.

http://www.mirrycle.com/order%20form.htm

The cost of the Jellibell is $10 and that includes shipping.
So, your total cost is just $10.
(This is noted on the order form near the bottom.)

I'm going to place my order soon since I do want it for
Easter. Not sure about their turn-around time!
The earlier I order it, the better!!

cchavez
02-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Here are my ideas:

For DS (will be 3 at the end of April")
rainstick, foam stickers, goldfish, sippy cup,underwear, sunglasses (thanks for the ideas on these last two!)
For DD (will be 3.5 months at Easter): spoons, teething ring, sunhat, sunglasses and her lovey...My DS has a barefoot dreams buddie as his lovey that he adores and the pink one just happens to be a bunny

here's the link:

http://www.whatshebuys.com/bar-505.html

I think that is plenty......

ctmom
02-23-2006, 04:36 PM
thanks for the info Corie!! When I called them this morning I asked them for retailer info and they didn't have any, but when I said I would rather deal with a local retailer to avoid shipping costs, they didn't tell me the price included shipping!!! My dd got a bicycle for her 5th b-day but we couldn't find a bell anywhere. Thanks again for sharing all your shopping finds!!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

ett
02-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Here's what I'm thinking for DS's Easter basket.

- Thomas train
- Lego truck
- Automoblox car
- Sticker book
- Runaway Bunny book

Corie
04-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Just curious how everyone is doing with less than 2 weeks
to go until Easter!! :)

oneplustwo
04-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Several of you mentioned playsilks. Where did you buy them? I'd love to get some at a good price for the kids, although it might end up being too late for Easter!

Thanks,
Anne

Mamma2004
04-06-2006, 10:38 AM
DS is 22 months old and so far I have gotten him:

1 spring outfit
4 books
More maracas, a triangle, etc.
1 deck egg shaped cards from Target $1
Hoop and foam ball from Target $1
Play dough
1 new straw cup
Animal crackers
2 new balls (small)

I have ordered new Robeez and will include them if they arrive before Easter

I have purchased plastic eggs to fill with Cheerios, Annie's bunnies, Kashi Mighty Bites, dried fruit, etc.

I would still love to hear other ideas!

Stephanie

km
04-06-2006, 11:09 AM
OK, i must ask this silly question about the Jellibell....does it make the, um, 'traditional' bike-bell sound? You know, 'ching-ching, ching-ching' (oh, im SO embarrassed now, trying to figure out how to type the bike bell sound, has parenthood come to this?)

My local shopping is, well, limited, and i cannot find a bike bell for my kids that they want (they KNOW what the bike bell sound is, and they dont want an electronic beep, or a horn, they want that brass bell digning sound)

Thanks

zoestargrove
04-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I really intended to keep this simple, but for for about a month now, I've been picking up things here and there.

me and bee video
Dr. Seuss Book.
gertie magic touch ball
train whistle
thomas train
play doh eggs
m&m character toy
sticker book
and I'll pick up a chocolate bunny too.

I pretty much duplicated the contents for DS2.

Mabster
04-11-2006, 07:54 PM
I know I'm late to the Easter basket party, but this is what we got for my 2 year 3 month old DD:

Winnie the Pooh Easter Book - The Easter Bear?

Stuffed Gund Duck

Smaller Gund Duck that quacks when you squeeze it (we bought this at Hallmark around Valentines Day, and forgot that we had it until after we bought the other duck!)

Curious George Wooden Moody Puzzle (she loves CG, is really good with puzzles, and it was small enough to fit.)
http://www.schylling.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CGMP&Category_Code=CG&Product_Count=7

Small hollow chocolate bunny

A pre packed M&M easter egg

Thats it for the basket. I didn't do anything else as we are going to be visiting a million relatives & friends on Easter so I'm sure she'll pick up other stuff along the way.

We are going to do an Easter Egg hunt in my In-Laws Condo Easter morning. I like the idea of filling the eggs with Cheerios - I think I'll do half those and I bought peanut butter filled Hersheys kisses as well - we'll put them in the other eggs and encourage DD to either share with Grandpa or crack the eggs into a candy bowl for eveyone to enjoy. We'll see how that works.