PDA

View Full Version : Easter Basket??

mykidsmom
02-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Just curious if any other Jewish families still do an basket of candy/goodies for their children around easter time but call it something else? I am wondering if any families do both Passover and also a little basket of candy or something similar. If not, do your kids ever feel left out when they go to school on Monday and most the other kids are talking about their Easter Baskets?

nfowife
02-20-2006, 10:31 PM
We're Jewish and I've never heard of that. It's not something I would feel comfortable doing in my home. Maybe you could do something extra for Passover involving the afeekhomen (sp)?

Canna
02-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Ummmm...no. I think that would be strange. Why would you want to?

emmiem
02-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Of course not. Jews don't celebrate Easter or hunt Easter Eggs. Our holidays in the spring time are Purim where we bake Hamantashen and a have a really fun service and Passover where we have a seder to remember the exodus from Egypt. I don't give my children presents for either one other than eating delious food.
Michele

tzipora
02-20-2006, 11:48 PM
It's earlier than Easter, but Purim is a Jewish holiday when people send baskets of food to friends and family, read the book of Esther, kids dress up.... lots of fun! If you're in the mood to do something fun and pretty with little treats and goodies, that's a perfect opportunity! (This year Purim is March 13 in the evening - day of March 14.)

sdbc
02-21-2006, 07:36 AM
I wouldn't ever do this. I don't think it hurts kids to not feel like they have to do/have everything everyone else does once in a while. If anything, I think it made me stronger and more empathetic as a child.

holliam
02-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Not Jewish, but we're not Christians either. We celebrate earth religions and the bulk of the secular Easter traditions for children, such as bunnies, eggs, baskets have no relationship with Christianity. They were born out of early earth-based religions. Most notably, Ostara, which is what we celebrate.

Holli

dules
02-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm curious about the origin of your question. Is this something your family did when you were a child? Not meaning to come off as accusational in any way, I've just never heard of this.

Best,
Mary

crl
02-21-2006, 01:48 PM
This made me think of something I've been wondering about. We may invite some friends over for an Easter Egg hunt/party this year. It would not be religious in nature at all. Just the egg hunt, playtime and some food. One of our playmates is Jewish. Would it be rude/weird to invite him? I wouldn't want to exclude him, but also don't want to offend. . . .

If it makes a difference, he/his mom would never know we had the party if we don't invite them since we don't have any other social overlap (someone we met in a music class).

Thanks,

nfowife
02-21-2006, 01:58 PM
I would invite them and let them decide if they want to come. That way it's their decision to make.

mykidsmom
02-21-2006, 03:06 PM
yes, as a child we did get "easter" baskets but did not celebrate easter. I always knew what my religion was and receiving this did not confuse me, but now as an adult with children I feel like I should do the same for my kids. but wondered if anyone else did anything similar. I did feel different then the other kids since most of them celebrated the Christian holidays where I grew up. I was just curious about others traditions...

tribecamom
02-21-2006, 03:08 PM
different does not equal better or worse is a hard less

morgan47
02-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Um, I'm Jewish (and both parents too), and my mom did give us Easter candy/goodies when we were kids. I even decorated eggs. We also celebrated Purim, Passover, etc. at temple when I was a kid. We celebrated Hanukkah by lighting the menorah and getting a small gift or money each night, and we also had Christmas stockings and got presents on Christmas morning (never ever had a tree, though!). For our family, it wasn't about religion, it was about tradition and celebration. I'm sure my parents wanted us not to feel left out among our non-Jewish friends. Even though I went to Sunday school and was Bat Mitzvah'ed, I didn't think this was that strange, since we weren't celebrating in a religious manner. As a kid, it was really all about the goodies and gifts!!

If you think it's too weird to call it an Easter basket, just call it a Spring basket!

californiagirl
02-21-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm Christian and we never had easter baskets. We did decorate eggs, though. I don't remember feeling left out when other kids talked about their Easter baskets.

mykidsmom
02-21-2006, 05:52 PM
>Um, I'm Jewish (and both parents too), and my mom did give us
>Easter candy/goodies when we were kids. I even decorated
>eggs. We also celebrated Purim, Passover, etc. at temple when
>I was a kid. We celebrated Hanukkah by lighting the menorah
>and getting a small gift or money each night, and we also had
>Christmas stockings and got presents on Christmas morning
>(never ever had a tree, though!). For our family, it wasn't
>about religion, it was about tradition and celebration. I'm
>sure my parents wanted us not to feel left out among our
>non-Jewish friends. Even though I went to Sunday school and
>was Bat Mitzvah'ed, I didn't think this was that strange,
>since we weren't celebrating in a religious manner. As a kid,
>it was really all about the goodies and gifts!!
>
>If you think it's too weird to call it an Easter basket, just
>call it a Spring basket!
>
>

My story exactly! I was raised the same way which is why now that I have kids I need to decide what I am going to do with them.

morgan47
02-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one! I think other kids would be jealous, because we used to celebrate all the major Jewish and Christian holidays!

As an adult, I am a non-religious Jew, who married a non-practicing Catholic. I think we'll probably raise our kids in a similar manner, where holidays are celebrated non-religiously, centered more around tradition and being with family, than on any relation to God or religion. I want my son to grow up knowing what is out there, but deciding on his own what he does or doesn't want to believe in, or what he does or doesn't want to celebrate.

One thing is for sure: he will NOT be forced to go to Sunday school like we were!

crl
02-21-2006, 07:54 PM
nt

rl42382
02-22-2006, 12:58 PM
rl42382

hi i am orthodox jewish and i also whent to a privat yeshivah yet i did associate with christians. your kids can celebrate with purim. purim is a holiday where theire are 4 things you are required to fulfile the mitzvah of purim. give shlach manose gifts usually wrapped baskets with at least 2 different items, listen to a reading of the purim story migillah easther, give charity to the needy, and make a feast or big meal. the kids and many adults dress up in costume to dilive the baskets people would give us change or a dollar every time we dilivered a basket and we than would go party hopping.. when i was a school age child my mom would make me these gr8t baskets wrapped in cellofane wrap and ribbens with tags on it so had a theme some years not with candy and treats to give to my friends in school and my teacher. you can have your kids do that and at passover the children both sader nights get a chance to find the peice of motzah and then they get a gift when we were young we got a toy or the money to buy it and on chanukah we got one big gift and eight small gifts or some money. i would try to learn more about your family customes and actual religion insted of trying to blend in with others enjoy your unique culter and don't feel shamed or embarrised because it is not the same as others be trully proud of your religion.

rl42382
02-22-2006, 12:58 PM
rl42382

hi i am orthodox jewish and i also whent to a privat yeshivah yet i did associate with christians. your kids can celebrate with purim. purim is a holiday where theire are 4 things you are required to fulfile the mitzvah of purim. give shlach manose gifts usually wrapped baskets with at least 2 different items, listen to a reading of the purim story migillah easther, give charity to the needy, and make a feast or big meal. the kids and many adults dress up in costume to dilive the baskets people would give us change or a dollar every time we dilivered a basket and we than would go party hopping.. when i was a school age child my mom would make me these gr8t baskets wrapped in cellofane wrap and ribbens with tags on it so had a theme some years not with candy and treats to give to my friends in school and my teacher. you can have your kids do that and at passover the children both sader nights get a chance to find the peice of motzah and then they get a gift when we were young we got a toy or the money to buy it and on chanukah we got one big gift and eight small gifts or some money. i would try to learn more about your family customes and actual religion insted of trying to blend in with others enjoy your unique culter and don't feel shamed or embarrised because it is not the same as others be trully proud of your religion.