PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for DD's 2nd Bday gift

CBB
02-24-2006, 01:34 PM
DD is turning 2 in 4wks. I'm really blanking out what to get her. She already has a kitchen, tons of play food, a kettler. I'm thinking about some building toys, like bristle blocks or lincoln logs but don't know if these are suitable for this age. She has the megablock wagon that she likes. Any other suggestions?

TIA!!

ett
02-24-2006, 02:55 PM
How about a set of wooden blocks? We have this set that has held up very well.

http://www.kidsurplus.com/hab506514.html

They also have a set of 43 blocks and 164 blocks also on clearance.

Unit blocks from Barclay Blocks have also been very popular with the mamas on this board.

http://www.barclaywoods.com/home.htm

Lego duplos are also popular with 2 year olds.

bluestar2
02-24-2006, 06:39 PM
For their second birthday, someone gave DC Lincoln Logs but it's pretty much been a miss. They love their Lego duplos and their unit blocks, puzzles, art easel and art supplies (especially paint), a sand box, play tents and tunnel, and books. The lego duplos come in little sets (we have the animal one) and I have seen a house one that looks pretty fun. How about a table and chairs set?

brittone2
02-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Easel and art supplies?

Special doll and moses basket or bassinet or stroller?

DS just turned 2 and he really enjoys unit blocks now. We have the Melissa and Doug ones and have been very happy with them overall. Quality may be hit or miss because I've heard other parents say they weren't thrilled with theirs, but ours have worked out so well I have trouble justifying a more expensive set (although I'd love some barclays). Maplelandmark.com also has unit blocks that are supposed to be nice.

Basket of musical instruments, with a dancing/rhythmic gymnastics type ribbon, maybe some CDs to go with it?

DS is very very into imitation type of things in the past month or so...do you think she'd like anything like that? Child sized broom, dust pan and brush, etc. Kind of odd for a birthday present maybe but I swear my DS loves this stuff more than toys lately.

Basic/starter train set and trains if she has any interest?

ETA: dollhouse? There are big and small versions and also the treehouse-style ones.

I also wanted to mention we have some Lincoln Logs that were picked up at a super sale price, but I don't think he's ready for them yet. I have them put away for now...I think it would take more dexterity than he has now.

Oh, one other random idea...cash register/playstore type of thing? If you have room, there are entire playstores available that are very elaborate. There are also smaller ones (Target is selling one now...no idea on quality though). If you don't have the room or want to go that route, you could do just a cash register and maybe some cute tote bags and/or shopping cart.

Dress up trunk with various costumes