PDA

View Full Version : Random train chatter.....

KBecks
02-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Well, we were in Barnes and Noble yesterday and Alek played with the train table. It seems he is old enough for it now, as a few months ago, he wasn't all that interested in the Brio set at the children's museum. The Thomas set at B&N seemed easier for him to work with - I wonder if their tracks were glued down?

So I've spent an hour this morning reading as many train posts as are here -- that's a lot! We'll probably start with trains next fall at Alek's 2nd birthday, and I'm thinking that DH can build a train /lego table himself and have a fun project making something for the kids, and hopefully save a little money.

I think I kind of want the trains partially for me, though! The track seems quite expensive, so I will start looking for Michael's coupons and try to hold off for as long as possible.

ellies mom
02-25-2006, 01:32 PM
This is what I've learned in the last few months. Yes, the Thomas set at B&N is glued down. Thomas is more expensive than Brio, but they are interchangable so you can save money buying a combination of both. Also, the Learning Palace sells generic track for a lot cheaper so I'm sure other education supply stores do as well. This place sells generic track for a really good price and they've got a great train table for $135.
http://woodentracks.com/?gclid=CN7X36aqtIMCFQ9kDgodfA7hHA

The Sure-Track clips will be your friend, but masking tape, while annoying to use helps keep the track together too.

August Mom
02-25-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure if the B&N track is glued or nailed - our local toy store nails theirs, but it is attached.

Personally, I wouldn't permanently configure my track at home. I think part of the fun and learning of a train set comes with setting up the track in different ways.

I would recommend starting with a figure-8 set for his birthday and then, if he likes it and is handling it well, you can add the figure-8 expansion pack on the next holiday.

ELTAZ
02-27-2006, 01:34 PM
We bought the Imagniarium (or whatever that brand is) train set with the table. It was in the $160 price range, which we figured was fine for the set PLUS the table. The table has drawers, which is AWESOME! And the top flips over so it can be a solid color, or you can flip it to the side with roads and parks. It has room for storage underneath too, so I keep all of dd's dolls underneath b/c they're easily accessible, yet hidden!

I really like this train set. It's interchangable with the Thomas the Train trains, which is a nice feature.

Good luck! We spent an hour in the train section at TRU trying to figure out which one to get!

BTW, when you find a configuration you like (of the train set) - take a picture! That way when it gets messed up, you can put it back together!!!

-Elizabeth

nupe
03-01-2006, 01:25 PM
If you are near a Meijer (midwest), it might be worth checking out the Brio sets on clearance, ranging from 50% to 75% off. I know someone posted here that the chicago area meijer had 75% off back in Jan, but where I am they are 50% off right now. Still a good start. Selection at my Meijer is STILL pretty good, probably because they are only 50% off and way in the back.
Nupe

lilycat88
03-02-2006, 01:08 PM
I was at the one in Avon last weekend and noticed that.