PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Chinese Muzzy

stefani
02-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Hello,

Does anyone have the Mandarin Chinese Muzzy? I would love to hear a review on it. I don't speak Chinese, so I won't be able to rate it, but DS goes to a Chinese daycare, and I hope to learn along with him.

Is there any other Mandarin Chinese language program out there that are better and / or not as expensive as Muzzy ($199)?

TIA!

UPDATE: 8 March 2006

No luck with the interlibrary loan for Mandarin Chinese Muzzy. Maybe it is too new (other Muzzys are available). So I have to "borrow" it for 30 days (for $11 shipping & handling) or find something else.

By the way, if you can speak Chinese, www.multiculturalkids.com has a CD called "Teach Me Chinese" that DS seems to enjoy to listen to in the car. It has Western songs sung in Chinese and English. Unfortunately it is difficult for me to learn / understand since it doesn't have the translation on the CD. I can infer some from the booklet, etc. but I find it hard for me to learn.

miki
02-27-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't know how Muzzy is but you should check to see if you can get it through your library. I know my local library doesn't have anything in the category of Mandarin language videos for kids but I can download in audiobook format a series of Mandarin language materials from Pimsleur. I read somewhere it's a decent series for self-teaching. Also, my library participates in an interlibrary loan program where they can look for materials for you from libraries all over the country. It takes a little time to get what you request but it's free for me. I did a search for Mandarin videos a while ago after hearing about Muzzy. Didn't find Muzzy in the database but I did find a bunch of videos I'd seen at asiaforkids.com. In any event, most of the video materials I've come across are pricey enough that I'd rather wait on interlibrary loan to see if it's worth the money rather than rushing out to buy it sight unseen. HTH

squimp
02-28-2006, 01:46 AM
Our local library has a whole wall of Muzzy. So definitely give the library a try before you spend the $$.

boys2enough
02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi, in fact, I tried to order it this morning using the Free Trial offer. (They have free trial offer ALL THE TIME). Just google "Muzzy Free Trial" and you will find the link.

I was all ready to pay the $10.95 s&h to try this program out, but the stupid phone field kept on giving me problem so I couldn't complete my order. I may call them this afternoon but I hate ordering stuff over the phone now.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pcomputer.gif

o_mom
02-28-2006, 01:46 PM
I also suggest checking the library first. I just checked the Spanish Muzzy out of the library, and while I think the immersion concept is good, it involves way too much TV for our house. They basically tell you to let your child watch it whenever they want, at least an hour a day, etc. I was hoping for something we could use in the car on an upcoming trip, but this isn't it.

lizamann
03-01-2006, 12:17 PM
I've wondered about this too, since it would blow dd's grandparents' minds if she spoke to them in Chinese! Our library doesn't have it. They do have some Spanish Muzzy in the system, but no Mandarin.

I did go to the Muzzy site once and looked at a preview of all the characters in the "just for kids" section.

http://www.early-advantage.com/kids/

Honestly, it's not my style at all. DD said, "I don't like this game!" and that sealed the deal. Too freaky, sci-fi, lowbudget looking for my taste, but I have never seen an actual episode.

stefani
03-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Thank you for all the replies (do keep them coming if you haven't written yet :-)

My library doesn't have it, so I did an interlibrary loan. I think it takes 3 - 6 weeks to arrive (if anyone else has it). We'll see...

I got the flyer that mentioned the free trial (well $11 trial), so I may go that route as well if the library cannot get it.

The Mandarin Chinese is a new one they came out with, because I remember getting the flyer in the past but it did not include Chinese.

It is great to hear other parents interested in their children learning foreign languages and especially Mandarin.

If it is for adult, supposedly Rosetta Stone has good ones. DH has the Indonesian version, and I wanted to get the Chinese one, but I don't really have time... So I thought this is something that both DS and I can learn together.

The thing is that we don't want TV much (we don't have broadcast/ cable/ satellite TV - so only DVDs and VCDs) so DS doesn't watch much TV. Yet, I notice that now he can sit longer and is more mesmerized by the DVDs (he used to start standing up and running around after 15 minutes of sitting down), which makes me more concerned that he doesn't get too much TV time!

I'll give you an update if we ever get this Muzzy / anything else.

kochh2
03-01-2006, 08:18 PM
yes, do let us know... My DH really wants to teach DS mandarin, too... so it woudl be neat to find something that we can learn from as well!! Thanks for the suggestions about the library, i will have to check at ours!!
:)